• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Ultimate Terrainer's Register?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
So, with Pharaoh's disgracefully failed attempt at invoking the good folks of the Terrain Board to produce an Ultimate Terraining Map 4.0, I've got this idea, actually I had the idea back then and presented it in the thread, but I reckon nobody hardly remembers that.

Anyway, as we all know, we terrainers like making our own "UTM's," and there's no denying that, because let's face it: Are any of you still using the basic UTM? >.>

However, since the making of that map, there come along TONS of amazing doodads to help terrainers, some have been passed around by word from terrainer to terrainer as great resources, and most terrainers know about them, but there's always pearls around that very few know about and there's always new terrainers who haven't heard about those amazing resources we all take for granted that our fellow terrainers know about, hence, this idea.

The idea is to make a thread where we catalogue all useful and amazing doodads around our own site, burried in both the model section and in our very own Terrain Board, and also include doodads from other sites, with respective links and descriptions.

Is this a good idea? Is it horrible? Could it be different? Do you have your own suggestions? Would you like to take part in the creation of such a sticky? Etc... I want to know what you think!

- And, let's face it... Nobody will ever make a UTM4 >.>

Level 34
I don't actually have a saved version of a personalized UTM. I would import things every time I made a new terrain.

I don't think it's a bad idea, but I don't know how much attention it'll get.
I would combine it with the UTM sticky. Simply add to the OP and rename the thread or something.

Level 36
Yes, that is actually a pretty sweet idea. Not only because the UTM can easily be fitted into the register as a "tool" but also because I like keeping the sticky count on the low-side, as opposed to some of my fellow moderators.

The importance of attention, however, is of little value to me. I like to always imagine that the Terrain Board will grow and become more active than ever at every turn of a new corner, and as thus I like updating and perfecting the section in inventive ways to entice people.

Level 11
it sounds like a good idea,
but from what i know the majority of terrainers,as myself,are kinda lazy,we should try finding a way to make it easy to browse through the list of models and to quickly find what you are looking for,something like adding an image of the model next to the download link could help

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Gilles said:
I would import things every time I made a new terrain.
Oh god. D:

elredir said:
we should try finding a way to make it easy to browse through the list of models and to quickly find what you are looking for
Sounds like splitting them into categories could work, i.e. environmental, structural, SFX, etc. Then just add a table of contents. Images ain't a bad idea either, you could format it like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.