• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Legend of Copy Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Although I'm kinda busy atm, there's one thing going around the world that I need to mention.

The game "Galatic Civilisations 2", produced by Stardock, has been released without any on-cd copy protection, so you can copy the cd as much as you want for private use. Looking at what the industrie says, the sales of that game should be lousy. In fact, the opposite is the truth, at the moment the game is the best sold software (not just game) in the USA, showing up the lies about "hard copy protection -> more sells". Check those news here:
http://forums.galciv2.com/index.aspx?forumid=161&aid=104297&c=1&c=1#add

As a respond, the developers of the disputed copy protection "Starforce" mentioned that GC2 is copied, too. For proving it, the spreaded links to an illegal torrent download file of GC2. In my opinion, this behaviour shows an "believe us or we'll threaten you"-attitude. Not nice, eh?

Furthermore, the highest circulation pc game magazine in the us has proven that Starforce can damage your hardware and cause problems with you software. I could link to the post in the Starforce, but concerning to the Starforce-behaviour it'll be deleted soon. So I quote the most important facts:

...we turned to CGW's own desktop administrator, Nick Kalister, for a full technical of what StarForce can (and can't) do to your PC. "Starforce doesn't diretly trash your drives or your IDE controller channels," he explains. "It can, however cause Windows to step down to programmed input/output [PIO] mode, which could possibly damage some optical drives if they are run in that mode for an extended period of time.

Sure enough, an extended test using a 4x Memorex DVD-RW drive and a retail copy of Ubisoft's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory proved it, as the drive's burn speed eventually dropped to a paltry 1x - only to return to its original speed once we removed the StarForce program.

StarForce Technologies, for its part, often takes extreme offense to negative comments... ...When questioned, Zhidkov [SF's PR manager] told us, "The issue on StarForce is obviously sponsored by our competitors or organized crime groups that run CD/DVD piracy [operations]. We are now in close coopreration with [US and Russian officials] investigating the matter and trying to find out who stands behind the boycott campaign.

It's a nice world in which the game publishers take the risk to damage their customers PCs with a hard copy protection that doesn't prevent illegal copies anyway, isn't it?

Level 22
It gets worse.

It appears that starforce, in anger toward stardock for not using their malware, has began linking to torrents of galactic civ ON THEIR OWN WEBSITE in spite.

They couldnt help stardock prevent pirates, so they went ahead and began encouraging it against stardock, who basically told them to f- off.

I swear, what a bunch of ---holes.
-VGsatomi

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Its shocking when copywrite companies start black mailing gaming companies to use their software.

The funny thing is that many games with copyprotection are iligaly distrubited on the internet anyway.

I looked up the game to see if it was easily available for download (not that I wanted to download it I just wanted to see how many sites are distrubiting it ilegaly out of interest) and the answer was no starforce removed the link to the download and said it was a human error and no other sites that can be easily be found in google and yahoo were distributing it.

The fact is that even if it was to be available for DL at every website there would still be the 10 or 5% that support it and buy it.

There are certain "ILIGAL" sites that are probably distributing it but thoughs distribute 1000s of games like WC3 or WOW all ilegaly.

Also a few people who will download it ilegaly will also buy a legal version.

Note I do not know much about the game.

I DO NOT suport ilegal distributing and I only buy offical legal CDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.