• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Last Tower v1.12

Version 1.04: First Hive release! Pretty much everything is finished already.
Version 1.05: Added minimap preview picture, made some minor textual fixes.
Version 1.06: Made some balance changes. Easy mode is now even easier, Decimators are nerfed and a bit easier to dodge, and the King's portal spawns have been adjusted. A few of the waves after #115 spawn a bit differently than before. Minor textual fixes.
Version 1.08: Some of the spawns after wave #115 are a bit different than before. Shadowmen can no longer make other Shadowmen invulnerable, the Tower is now nigh-invulnerable while charging up the Tactical Nuke (but enemies won't flee, like with Tower Defense), and the music should no longer glitch repeatedly when saving/loading.
Version 1.09: "Chaos Legion" (waves 124-126) made somewhat harder with the addition of 3 extra units, Chaos Ancient throw range adjusted, Blademaster boss is now a little earlier so the bosses are a bit more evenly spread out, cutscene glitch fixed, Gazz Stripbolt (second goblin madman) hp increased by 1000, Vampire attack speed decreased to 2.5, item stacking system added.
Version 1.10: Item stacking system *removed* due to major glitch causing the wavetimer to malfunction horribly, breaking the game. Hopefully I can figure out what's wrong then put it back in.
Version 1.11: Item stacking system fixed and re-added. Tactical Nuke and Sortie now have cooldowns.
Version 1.12: Minor balance changes, textual fixes, and bugfixes.

The Tower Defense has failed! The waves are relentless! The Towers
have been destroyed! The Player has ragequit in frustration! Things look bleak for
Defenselesstown. But wait! There's one tower left!

And boy, does he look pissed.

___

The Last Tower is a frenetic single player survival game that parodies (but is not a) tower
defense. It will test your strategy and reflexes as you face off against an unforgiving
onslaught of foes, complete with unique abilities and AI, each of which adds a new layer
to the game's strategy as you progress onward.

• 135 waves of over-the-top survival mayhem.
  • 24 unique enemy types, complete with their own AI and abilities. They are not merely
    HP bags of increasing size (as in many survival games), but instead each new foe adds a
    new layer to the game's strategy.
  • 3 unique bosses (4 if you count Gazz Stripbolt) and 9 special events.
  • Well over an hour of fast-paced gameplay at minimum (if you don't ever die).
  • Burn, electrocute, imaple, zap, eviscerate, explode, or eat your enemies with an arsenal
    of abilities and weapons ranging from creating earthquakes to launching tactical nukes.
  • Two difficulty levels (Easy and Normal)
  • Custom (and customizable) Soundtrack.
  • Frenetic and challenging gameplay.
  • Finely tuned balance.
  • Convenient Item Stacking system allows you to hold many charged items in a single inventory slot.
  • Full in-game dialog menu system.
  • Detailed quest menu containing an enemy encyclopedia, finely detailed information on
    every ability and command, and more.
  • Skippable cinematics.
  • Multiboards, timers, hints, and all-around interface polish.
  • In game hints, warnings, and updates contextually give you relevant tips when you need
    them (or, if you don't want them, you can turn them off!)
  • Works with save/load system.
  • Seal of approval from testers looking for any signs of glitches.

omfgimpossible.jpg

IStandAlone.jpg

GoodIllusionShot.jpg

Carnage1.jpg

Mechaboom2.jpg

Bladejump2.jpg

Bladewhirl2.jpg

Cavalier5.jpg

ChaosLegion2.jpg

DecimatorWave2.jpg

Gruntmass2.jpg

NecroShieldsWalk2.jpg

Ooze3.jpg

OgreWave.jpg

Ratso2.jpg

Repair3.jpg

ShadowCouncil3.jpg

nuke2.jpg

Valk2.jpg

Valk4.jpg

Shieldbearer1.jpg

• Game Design: Caedrus
  • Models: Valkyrie by SinisterX, Spirit of Vengeance by Ergius, Nuke (and some other special effects) by WILL THE ALMIGHTY,
    Decimator attack effect by Amigurumi, Nuke Countdown Aura by General Frank, Kodo Beast Tower by Ket, The King by Tranquil
  • Icons: Pansy Bow icon by T4COBELL, Tactical Nuke icon by Mc !
  • Systems: Easy Item Stack and Split by Dangerb0y
  • Music: L80ETC, Rob Zombie, Dope
  • Testing: RenegadePaladin

Keywords:
The, Last, Tower, Hero, Survival, Hard, Challenging, Defense, Caedrus, AI, Single, siege, strategy, tactics, epic, original, humor, funny, comedy, met
Contents

The Last Tower v1.12 (Map)

Level 10
Review

Please Note

This map review set-up is based on that created and used by Tank Commander,

I review maps that look interesting or promising. If you wish for me to review your map, or if notable changes have occured to a map I have already reviewed, then you may message me with a link to your map and I will review it within the next week.

Review Breakdown

(5 marks) - Terraining/Environment
(5 marks) - Triggering
(15 marks) - Gameplay
(10 marks) - Innovation/Originality
(5 marks) - Interface/Object Editor Work

Mark System

1-7 marks = (1) Poor quality map, unfit for the Hive (usually a beginners map)

8-14 marks = (2) The beginnings of a map are there, but it still needs work and is likely unfinished.

15-21 marks = (3) An adequate map, is fun for a game or two and functions.

22-28 marks = (4) Shows promise and has some interesting features; playability is high.

29-35 marks = (5) A fine example of Hive-quality; will keep you entertained for several games at least and updates are looked forward to.

35+ marks = (6) A simply brilliant warcraft map. Features are flawlessly implemented, code is legit, game is fun, and the constraints of
Warcraft 3 are challenged.

Subsection Review

Terraining (1/5) - Plain, unimaginate, and uninteresting. Could have been thrown together in minutes.

Triggering (N/A) - Map is protected thus I will discount this category in my final score.

Gameplay (5/15) - The fact that you only have one tower to manipulate is further devastated by the fact that this tower cannot be manually upgraded and only has a handful of abilities. Additionally, balance between items is horrible in this game. A smart player will do nothing but purchase the burning towers and spam them all over the available spaces. The ONLY thing that keeps this map afloat is the funny tooltips and comedic opening cinematic. While this game does produce some interesting features, it is best described as a one-time play mini-game and nothing more.

Innovation/Originality (3/10) - Regardless of the fact you just use one tower, this map brings nothing new or innovative to the tower defense genre. The only thing that I can really give you credit for besides the lone-tower idea is the comedic aspect of the game.

Interface/Object Editor Work (2/5) - Tooltips are adequate but vague and lack detail. Loading screen is the a basic Warcraft 3 one is fine. Icons are un-imported and thus have their necessary counter-parts. UI text is not appropriately modified.

Errors and Suggestions

- Change the tooltip gold icon to the gold icon you use for the top UI bar.
- Add more abilities to the tower and more items as well.
- Implementing the ability to upgrade the tower would go a long way.
- Custom triggered spells with cool effects would also go a long way towards improving gameplay.

-
Items don't stack if all 8 slots are filled (States inventory is full)

I looked through the item stacking systems on this site and didn't find one that *didn't* have this issue. How do you suggest I fix it?

This isn't a problem with the stacking system, it's just how the base programming functions. When you buy an item, regardless of if it has a charge or not, it will not run through the necessary triggers if your inventory is full. The easiest way to solve this problem is to create a unit for each item and have the item store sell units instead. When that specific unit is purchase then immediately remove it from the game and create the item for the tower. This allows you to run through the necessary triggers before you manually give the item.

Final Review

Final Marking - (16/40)
Rating - (3)
Voted for - Approval
Rep Given? - No, aside from the comedy theres nothing to this take on tower defense

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 11
Nighthawk, you claim that the Towers of Vengeance are unbalanced, yet I have heard the opposite complaint from other players (that they're underpowered). I disagree with those people (I was actually worried that they might be massable, and hoped to strike a balance there by making them vulnerable to the many siege/area attacks in the game), but anyways... Would you mind showing a replay demonstrating your point? Out of all the testing that was done for this game, I've never actually seen a successful use of massing Towers of Vengeance demonstrated, so I'd need to see it. Anyways, I'm always interested in bettering balance and I could certainly make some changes. Otherwise I can't even tell if you actually even bothered to *try* this theory or not before posting it (especially since nothing in your review indicates that you've gotten past the first few minutes of the game). Regardless, this won't be an issue in the next version anyways since I'm going to do a food cap for ToV (though again, I've never seen someone successfully use a massing strategy anyways).

As to the gameplay point, I think you missed the point of what I was going for entirely. The gameplay isn't about character customization or RPG elements or building an army... it's about frenetic action and technical skill in using a small enough number of actions for chunking (if you're not familiar with the term, look up game design theory), but I digress. I suppose some people never really appreciated games like coin op scrollers where you don't get a ton of new abilities or increasing stats or whatever, just need to learn to use your existing resources better.

As for tooltips lacking detail, could you tell me what details you felt were lacking? I mean, I put in basically every field in the object editor and then some. Also, in what instance is UI text "not appropriately modified?" Because it's modified in a lot of places.

Also, your rating system shows a rather obvious and glaring flaw: You effectively gave me a 0/5 in one category because my map was protected (as you said "N/A" in the triggering field yet gave a 16/40 when it's actually 16/35). Really, what kind of ratings system would downrate a map for being protected (and then, to add insult to injury, fail at math)? It seems exceedingly strange that any game rating system would have any field that was based on something that was not part of the player's experience.

- Change the tooltip gold icon to the gold icon you use for the top UI bar.
Yeah, I wanted to do that, just didn't know how. I would have to create a new icon for that, and, well, I can't draw worth a damn. Icon art is not my thing.

- Add more abilities to the tower and more items as well.
- Implementing the ability to upgrade the tower would go a long way.
These aren't going to happen. This is not a game about amassing upgrades, new weapons, and stat boosts. See my response to your gameplay comment. This is not a Tower Defense map, though you seem to have confused it for one.

Custom triggered spells with cool effects would also go a long way towards improving gameplay.
Actually, more than half of the Last Tower's abilities are custom triggered, and most of the boss abilities are triggered. Also, all of the AI's behavior and strategies are triggered. Not quite sure how flashy effects would significantly add to *gameplay* though. Eye candy, yes. Gameplay, though?

Nonetheless, you'll be happier with my upcoming release if that's what you want out of a game. It has somewhere around 70 original and distinct fully triggered custom abilities that don't skimp on the eye candy. ;)

This isn't a problem with the stacking system, it's just how the base programming functions. When you buy an item, regardless of if it has a charge or not, it will not run through the necessary triggers if your inventory is full. The easiest way to solve this problem is to create a unit for each item and have the item store sell units instead. When that specific unit is purchase then immediately remove it from the game and create the item for the tower. This allows you to run through the necessary triggers before you manually give the item.
Interesting. I'll do it when I get around to it. Thanks :)

Last edited:
Level 2
I apologize for taking time out of my day and giving you a detailed and constructive review. I'll be sure to avoid any maps made by you in the future so as to prevent such a blatant and unwarranted overreaction.

Oh and btw, you might want to check your math.
Out of curiosity, how is his math wrong? Discounting the N/A, your points should be out of 35 (5+15+10+5=35), but you scored it 16/40 (and said there's nothing to this take on tower defense, when the map... isn't a TD map). :confused:

Level 11
I apologize for taking time out of my day and giving you a detailed and constructive review. I'll be sure to avoid any maps made by you in the future so as to prevent such a blatant and unwarranted overreaction.

Seeing as your post got heavily edited, it seems the mods agree that you were the one acting inappropriately, not me ;)

In any case, I'm not sure why you feel it is a blatant overreaction to simply ask for you to provide supporting details for your opinions and expand on your points, such that the review might actually be considered more constructive. For example, I asked you what tooltips you felt were vague and why, or for you to maybe send me a replay of the alleged balance abuse you claimed existed, and you answered not with supporting details but rather with... this self-victimization of yours.

Oh and btw, you might want to check your math.

My math is correct, yours is wrong. 5+15+10+5+N/A is 35, not 40. There is no uncertainty here. Punch it into a calculator if you don't believe me. And then if you don't believe the calculator... then I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:
Level 17
I have to disagree with you, n1ghthawk.

Firstly, you rated this map thinking it was a tower defense. Sure, it features a tower, but it isn't a tower defense. I suggest you rate it again, this time being fully aware that it isn't a tower defense. Secondly, the terrain isn't the focus of the map, so why give such strict rating for it when the gameplay makes up for it. Thirdly, why did you include code/script in the overall total, especially when you couldn't even access it.

Tsk, tsk.

Anyway, I believe that this map is unique in its own right and very difficult to play. I'm still trying to get past the very last wave and finish off the boss. xD I give it 4.5/5 and look forward to your future creations.

Level 23
I have to disagree with you, n1ghthawk.

Firstly, you rated this map thinking it was a tower defense. Sure, it features a tower, but it isn't a tower defense. I suggest you rate it again, this time being fully aware that it isn't a tower defense. Secondly, the terrain isn't the focus of the map, so why give such strict rating for it when the gameplay makes up for it. Thirdly, why did you include code/script in the overall total, especially when you couldn't even access it.

Tsk, tsk.

Anyway, I believe that this map is unique in its own right and very difficult to play. I'm still trying to get past the very last wave and finish off the boss. xD I give it 4.5/5 and look forward to your future creations.

Agreed.

When it comes to mini games, users usually brush off such maps due to their sheer simplicity and otherwise lack of content.

Most of the time not realising how fun and entertaining such a simple concept can be.
If you dont believe me, check out any of Ace Hearts creations at the helper.

Level 4
I just loved the map.
[+] Challenging
[+] Many creeps
[+] Funny Cinematics
[+] Songs are very cool

[=] I have to remember to turn my volume up :(
[=] Not many items but they still make the game nice

[-] I had to think 30 minutes what to put in the negative part :D

So It's a complete 5/5 from me

Level 4
I looked through the item stacking systems on this site and didn't find one that *didn't* have this issue. How do you suggest I fix it?

There is the way I used in Heroes and Empires, the items to buy are bonus and depending if the hero (here tower) has an item of type X when he buy the bonus Y when it'll add the charge to item hold, otherwise it'll add items to the inventory.

I can send you the triggers I made after six long hours, now it works without trouble in my own map.

Level 27
This map is fantastic.
Maybe it needs a few upgrades, which i may or may not post about here when i have time, but it's a good map nonetheless.

If for nothing else, for the idea.
The humor is great, the gameplay is something you do NOT see anywhere else.
A fully enjoyable map!

I agree with everyone that rated it 5/5, and i'm gonna' do so myself.
+Rep dude! Keep it up! :)

Oh and...
If you wan't a loading screen or a preveiw image made, i might be able to squeeze you in between the requests in my Photoshopping Request thread. :)
I spend loads of time waiting for them guys to reply to my posts there anyway. :S

Level 11
Oh and...
If you wan't a loading screen or a preveiw image made, i might be able to squeeze you in between the requests in my Photoshopping Request thread. :)
I spend loads of time waiting for them guys to reply to my posts there anyway. :S

Sweet! I definitely need artsy types to help me with my future projects; I couldn't draw a stick man to save my life. I'm honored. :thumbs_up:

Also, glad you liked the map. I hope to be putting out another one (this time, an online hero arena) by the beginning of next month (though that is an optimistic estimate).

Level 11
If its made by Caedrus I have to give it a try... Although I'm scared- it sounds hard. xD

Practice makes perfect. You can totally get through the first 60-odd waves without getting hurt or using items. :thumbs_up:

But yes, this game does not allow you to not pay attention. It is a very active game and it's designed to get people "in the zone;" really concentrating on the action at hand and reacting smoothly and appropriately to each and every enemy movement.

Maybe some permanent items with stat bonuses too, idunno.
There's a very intentional reason that there aren't any permanent items or stat bonuses in there. Quite simply, The Last Tower is not a game about building your character's stats in order to numerically overpower your foes without thinking much during the battle. It is about actually getting in there and having better tactics, better reflexes, better combat skills. Indeed, you'll notice that the enemies don't scale much numerically (heck, the Ogres in wave 11-15 have some of the highest stats in the game); instead, they just start using better AI strategies and using better combinations of abilities. The Cavaliers that were pitifully easy to take out in droves when they first showed up 60 waves ago will slaughter most players when they start combining with necromancers and shadowmen after a front wave of tanks breaks down your back door defenses, for example. The Cavaliers didn't get stronger, they just started being *deployed better.*

You can expect something of the same philosophy from my upcoming arena. It will most certainly not be about who can feed their hero tomes faster, it will be about who can outfight the other player in an actual bout of movement, positioning, comboing, and timing, much like a fighting game.

Level 6
You can expect something of the same philosophy from my upcoming arena. It will most certainly not be about who can feed their hero tomes faster, it will be about who can outfight the other player in an actual bout of movement, positioning, comboing, and timing, much like a fighting game.

Hm... sounds interesting... would you be interested in any kind of help? I am really good with ideas, making things (terrain/abilities) pretty, and balancing. (as well as other stuff)

Level 11
Great Work Caedrus :) Very fun

Though I kind of felt I didn't really have enough time to look at all my abilities and the things in the shop.

From these comments I don't think I really got very far. Not even the first boss. Should of used some Nukes :p

Rated, and +rep

Level 11
Great Work Caedrus :) Very fun

Though I kind of felt I didn't really have enough time to look at all my abilities and the things in the shop.
You can always pause and browse through all of that information. Also, all the items, enemies, abilities and so forth have descriptions in the quest menu (which of course pauses the game when you look at it).

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
You should set the Tower Defense tag for this one.
Terrain is simplistic.
Towers of Vengeance can be built right on top of the main tower.
Ogre Legions message came two times first right on the wave before theirs.
So, you can't get past 100 gold?
There's a problem with revived units by necromancers that don't come to the tower. At least, the waves continue without them needing to die.
The Repair icons looks as if it can be autocast.
Skip cinematic scene would be really nice.
Not a fan of the random crazy music and sounds.

Overall, a good map.