• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Future of Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
http://www.sixense.com/
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/kinect

What I can see with Kinect is that users will now have the capability to realistically grab for things. With the motion controller, they can also grab (not realistically) and do a variety of very precise hand movements.

Controllers and Kinect don't work in tandem if you want the realistic grabbing, but you need a controller for proper movement (doing a weird motion with my fingers seems quite dumb). Another issue is turning around (my head can only turn so far).

Thoughts? Ideas?

Or perhaps for now, we have to forgo grabbing, but if that is the case, then you might as well not use Kinect at all? Perhaps the motion controllers would be a cheaper, more viable option, especially in cases of pc gaming (Kinect doesn't seem like it would port very well to a pc game because of spatial issues). Or people could always move to hooking their computers up to their tv for a full all in one system (tv, dvd/blu-ray, gaming, pc, all in one), but I don't know, turning on a huge tv to type in microsoft word or something seems like a major waste... also, Kinect is a lot harder to move than motion sensor controllers... perhaps I want to play on a laptop?

Anyways, when I begin to think about it more, I realize that Kinect can't really be moved to the pc (unless the pc/laptop is hooked up to a tv) because of desks and other crap that block.

So I guess hand motion controllers are still a major viable option for online pc games (who needs leg control in most of them anyways??).

Level 13
Kinect, Eyetoy, ETC. will only result in people wailing around for an hour until they get tired and go back to old contollers/mouse and keyboards.

Level 30
I hadn't heard of the Sixense controller before but it looks quite fun to use :) I really like the fact that theres two of them giving you a lot more control :p

I'll admit, I'm not a fan of the Kinect thus far though :/ The motions that people make just don't seem to correlate with what happens on screen xD It just doesn't seem very ground-breaking :/ It's like using a Wii controller, except you can't do as much because there are no buttons... :/

They're both nice ideas though, and hopefully they will both lead onto something more usable :)

Level 12
I've always found that if you if you really wanted to play soccer or race against someone, you'd be better off ACTUALLY DOING IT.
Really, I understand that certain things you can't do without motion controllers (Like kill hordes of zombies, unless...) but certain things are just plain dumb. Most of the stuff for kinect is stuff that you can actually do without the stupid tech, like sports and dancing. When it comes to gaming, the feel of buttons soothes me. You have much better reflexes with a contoller.

However, this sixense thing looks very convincing. I have been a fan of motion controllers, since they are morely meant to represent objects in your hand instead of body parts. This object can be anything, from a broom to a sword. I'm excited for Sony's Move, because hopefully great games will be supported on it, instead of Wii's mass shovelware and a few good games (Which were mostly all made by nintendo also.)

But if it comes down to it, I would rather have a controller. When I'm playing videogames, I just wanna sit on my arse.

Level 7
yeah because actually doing illegal street racing is a fantastic idea.

Not like he was referring to illegal street racing.:grin: Anyhow, I agree with the second part of the first paragraph of Vosty's comment. I don't know about you guys, but I think it seems a bit weird to randomly do motions to represent things happening on the screen. It would make a lot more sense to have some sort of remote or controller rather than to just be imitating different motions in front of a TV. For most games, having a controller is much easier than to play with motion sensing.

Now, what do I think the future of gaming will be like? Immersive gaming. I think in the future, people will probably have games as like full simulations, where you can control every aspect of whatever you're controlling, and you can be immersed in the world of that game.

Level 11
Not like he was referring to illegal street racing.:grin:
well then I suppose that racing in an actual legal race, where its not an unlikely incident that you could end up dead, is brilliant?

Its still stupid, and you can't exactly do the things you can do in a videogame in real life, eg Burnout games.

Personally though, I find that motion sensing is still fun even if its not the "real" thing, the same way that playing Rock Band is still fun even though its not genuine. I probably spent more time playing Wii Sports than any other game on the Wii, just because its fun and fun to play with friends. Also playing rail shooters is significantly more fun with a motion controller than a regular controller imo. I don't feel that everything should be made into video-game counterparts with motion sensing technology, but there are definitely games that do very well with it, and conversely games that are just stupid with it.

oh yeah also no one wants to go outside when its really cold / too dark to see stuff.

Level 12
yeah because actually doing illegal street racing is a fantastic idea.

You really didn't read the rest of my post did you? I left out zombie hoards and murdering people, or any other thing that can't be recreated.

Anyway, I understand that sometimes people want to play tennis from their couch, but the more accurate these controllers become, the more like the actual thing they become, so... It would be better off just playing them instead. Also I understand the dark/ cold outside stuff. Now it gets dark here at about 5:30pm, so I can't do anything past then, so I'd rather play some soccer simulation.

Still, I still give my kudos to the controller. I don't see any advantages to motion controllers other than a broader audience being able to play games, and I'd rather NOT play games with my parents anyway.

Actually, MMORPGs/RPGs would do great with motion sensing technology no?
I think they would be great... At first. RPG's are mostly about logging time, and after awhile, people will tire out of swinging a sword all day.

I probably spent more time playing Wii Sports than any other game on the Wii, just because its fun and fun to play with friends. Also playing rail shooters is significantly more fun with a motion controller than a regular controller imo.
I think the reason you played wii sports most was because it probably was one of the best titles on Wii, since it had so much shovelware crap, and not actually good games. Also, the friendship part is a plus, because In real life, you probably wouldn't play baseball with someone talking to you as you bat.
Playing rail shooters on Wii is okay. There weren't very many good shooters beside Metroid and Red Steel for all I know, so I'm not too enthusiastic about shooter on Wii. For instance, due to the awful control scheme, COD MW2 on Wii was awful.
I think I just have problems moving from one controller to the next, but I'm sure someone else must think somewhat the same whay.

Level 20
Even better than a controller is a mouse and keyboard. :)
Not that true.

I find controllers a lot more comfortable and "easy" to use. Keyboard and mouse are ofcourse better in games that have a lot of cursos/mouse using.

I think that Wii was created because "omg gaming is unhealthy" and "omg fun with friends" and now other console publishers are trying the same thing.... Wii failed. It was gay like shit. I dont think others would make any difference. These motion things arent able to support a lot of game genres/styles...

Level 7
Not that true.

I find controllers a lot more comfortable and "easy" to use. Keyboard and mouse are ofcourse better in games that have a lot of cursos/mouse using.

I think that Wii was created because "omg gaming is unhealthy" and "omg fun with friends" and now other console publishers are trying the same thing.... Wii failed. It was gay like shit. I dont think others would make any difference. These motion things arent able to support a lot of game genres/styles...

I don't know. I find it weird to have to press a bunch of buttons in combination to do something. If you have a mouse and keyboard, you get more control over the game you are playing, and in my opinion, it is easier to play the game.

Level 11
Not every game should be motion controlled, but motion controlled games are still fun. They are fun for a different reasons and for different games.

Motion controllers are by no means the future of gaming. What they are is something fun to do with friends, not just people who have never touched a video-game in their life, but also people who do play games regularly yet still enjoy having fun with friends. There are plenty of reasons why you would not want to go outside / do things in real life, but that shouldn't stop you from doing something that's fun.

Level 11
I believe it's more a question of how far they have come in the research. Eventually we will (most likely) fall for it. Maybe not as a replacement this time, but as an addition. See the history of touch screen cellphones and TV for instance. At first everyone goes "Dumb ideas, will never reign over traditional ones", then they go "Well...", and lastly "What do you mean? I never opposed this brilliant technology!"

Assuming this technology is being further developed into something quite useful (as of now I agree with Tyranid). The next thing I want to see is glasses completely altering you natural vision (3D, depth, colour), and contact lenses would be even more awesome. Maybe a sort of gaming helmet with a spherical sound and screen, to catch all angles and directions. The helmet would be an excellent addition to lazer tag or paintball games. Set up a real physical environment and make alterations using computer graphics and boom we can create almost anything.

Traditional gaming will in my belief more or less always remain.

Status
Not open for further replies.