• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Dwarves of Arkain

Were the Dwarves neglected story-wise and action-wise during the Legends of Arkain?

• No. The Dwarves are a simple race, good allies and not the main focus of the story.

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Yes. There are some holes regarding how the Dwarves were presented and deserved more screen time.

Votes: 11 73.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Like in the previous thread we will share, discuss and debate our personal theories about the Dwarves of Arkain in a healthy environment.

Let's begin.

The Dwarves are a stout and proud people that are native to Arkain. They are a very developed race when it comes to technology being able to build machienes or weapons of war capable of turning the tide of battle in their favor. They are mostly focused on their craft and mining areas that are bountiful in ore or riches than actually waging war againts other races. When push comes to shove however, Dwarves are fierce opponents and are not to be underestimated because of their size or inferior strength when faced with a larger opponent.

1) Are the Dwarves homeless?
In the First Human Book we have the pleasure of playing with the Dwarves and their unique units and army. sometimes their army or heroes is near Humans or Elves, depending on the mission or with whom they stand againts. However it was only the one mission that you get to play with them (crazy hard, I lost that mission 4 times in a row) where you're pitted againts several opponents. But it's unclear if the Dwarves are native from somewhere on the continent of Arkain or if their home is wherever they settle temporarily to do their mining then move on once they depleeted all valuables from an area. Judging by their units (such as Bear Riders and their flying machienes) the Dwarves favor mountainous and forested regions. It could be possible that the Dwarves were once native to a mountain chain/arc, but I doubt they would favor the road over the solitude and safety of their mines.

2) How technologically advanced are the Dwarves?
The Dwarven units are fairly tough, if not a bit above avarage when it comes to HP pools (I don't know if it was a bug but my Bear Riders had 1050 HP when I upgraded Animal War Training twice by accident) and quite advanced when it comes to gear. Although not capable of building Sky Battleships like the Empire has, the Dwarven amies are equiped with blunderbusses (Riflemen), portable cannons (Mortar Teams), Steam Tanks and Gyrocopters. When compared to the Empire that have crossbows and catapults, or Elves that utilize bows and bolt catapults, the Dwarves are one or two steps ahead in some areas thanks to their engeneering skills and inventive minds.

3) Are the Dwarves in danger?
Knowing that the Dwarves and Goblins both share a common interest in mining and engeneering, it is possible that they also compeete on the market to promote their developments. Compared to the Goblins that are improving their designs each day, it is possible that the Dwarves are losing in favor of the Goblin's 'hi-tech' merchendise. Following the hints given by Shar Dundred and the character bio of one of the new heroes from the Second Orc Book, it is revealed that Dwarves and Goblins are fierce rivals, they possibly hate eachother and would kill to claim the best mining spot. Knowing the Goblins' "Big Bosses" might be interested in promoting or investing in devices made for war (if proven successful and indeed proffitable), the Goblins might turn their attention towards the Dwarves to put not only test out their latest inventions, but to permanently shut them out of the market as well.

4) Do the Dwarves have any marvels of engeneering that are secret or underrated?
As mentioned before the Dwarves are fairly well equiped and advanced, even though their designs are considered "ancient" or outdated. Their current constructions aren't capable of the destruction the Empire's grand cannon is (a marvel of magic and engeneering), nor the combat potential of their Sky Battleships, but is it possible that the Dwarves have developed something of their own a long time ago or is under construction? I still believe that the Dwarves have a "capital" or a place that's theirs to call home, and I seriously doubt they like to kiss up to Humans for protection like the Elves do, so I believe they developed something to protect their home from invaders. Knowing the Orcs will need the Goblins to fill up their ranks, the Dwarves could take full advantage of this opportunity to show the peak of their technology.

5) Dwarves vs Empire & Elves
It is well known that the Empire "cheats" when it comes to building things. They combine equal amounts of magic and engeneering to make their designs come to life and perform efficiently (their War Golems are the perfect example of this theory). It is very likely that the Sky Battleship functions on a magical core that fuels their engines, and magically enhanced cannons on board (though for the sake of comedy I liked to picture the Sky Battleships having AA guns from WW2 on board because of their rate of fire).
The Elves aren't dependent on technology as much as the other races. They rely on magic the most and have less than mediocre levels of technology in their armies or buildings.
The Dwarves however are probably only based on mechanical harmony with no magic involved. Their designs must be fueled by other means (such as the Gyrocopter functioning on oil or petrol, and the Steam Tank on a steam engine or petrol) unlike the Empire's magically powered constructions.
The Dwarves clearly outmatch the Elves in this arms race, but it is a little unclear where they stand againts the Empire. Of course their designs can't compeete againts the Empires' own, but their armies seem to rely more on numerical superiority and martial training than advanced weapons like blunderbusses or portable cannons.

6) Are the Dwarves incapable of using magic?
Excluding the Mountain King that can throw Storm Hammers and use Thunder Clap, the Dwarves haven't shown an ability to use magic at all. The hammers used by Griffon Riders are mostlikely infused with runes that gives them their unique abilities, but the other units have no skills regarding magic. Compared to the Empire or Elves or Orcs, the Dwarves have no spell casters of their own for support or rain destruction on enemy ranks. I was expecting units such as Rune Priests with stats like an Elf Priest or Sorceress and be able to use buffs like Inner Fire or Purge, but there are none to be seen. Magic doesn't have to come naturally to Dwarves at birth (like Elves) or train extensively to master them (like Humans or Orcs), in some fantasy works Dwarves 'cheat' by using Runes to enhance themselves or allies.

Level 10
1) answered in the second human book
2) the Empire is a bit ahead because dwarves are in a state of constant struggle against their ancient enemies whereas the Empire on their own continent managed to get rid of their demons and they live fairly peaceful, productive life, thus they have more resources they can pump into developing marvels like the pride of humanity, tanks and the purificator
3) not just the goblins, they have more ancient enemy, see the second human book
4) their state of constant struggle gives them little room for any overpowered tech, they focus more on digging up and letting the enemy break on their shield wall
while we are at it, Shar, will dwarves get some more fortified towers? extra resilient and so forth?
5) they are all made to be a bit unique, tho I imagine that humans are the nontrivial linear combination of elves and dwarves, something like a crossbreed (origin of humans confirmed? :D )
6) they have magic, protective runes and healing runes and lightning magic and light magic
you have rune priest in the dwarves roster, see second human book man, half of what you mention here is answered there already

Level 9
1) answered in the second human book
2) the Empire is a bit ahead because dwarves are in a state of constant struggle against their ancient enemies whereas the Empire on their own continent managed to get rid of their demons and they live fairly peaceful, productive life, thus they have more resources they can pump into developing marvels like the pride of humanity, tanks and the purificator
3) not just the goblins, they have more ancient enemy, see the second human book
4) their state of constant struggle gives them little room for any overpowered tech, they focus more on digging up and letting the enemy break on their shield wall
while we are at it, Shar, will dwarves get some more fortified towers? extra resilient and so forth?
5) they are all made to be a bit unique, tho I imagine that humans are the nontrivial linear combination of elves and dwarves, something like a crossbreed (origin of humans confirmed? :D )
6) they have magic, protective runes and healing runes and lightning magic and light magic
you have rune priest in the dwarves roster, see second human book man, half of what you mention here is answered there already

I didn't get the chance to play the Second Human Book.
All I got to play of the Second Human Book were 6 Chapters that were out for testing and debug last year. I would play it but my PC blew up and because of my work I didn't have time to build a new one or buy another one strong enough to handle current gen games.
I am NOT joking, it litteraly blew up when I was watching a movie. I had issues with electricity that eventually made my PC shortcircuit and blew up, it made a bang like someone shot a handgun next to me. So for almost 4 and a half months I've been detached from anything called games (except what I have on my phone).

Level 22
1) Are the Dwarves homeless?
Nope. Located somewhere in a mountain, possibly very deep, the Golden Tunnels as they call them is their home.

How technologically advanced are the Dwarves?
Definitely more advanced than the humans and elves on Arkain. I would add the undead too, but only because the undead rely on strong beings, ancient powers and artifacts, not technology to overpower their enemies.

Are the Dwarves in danger?
Their ancient enemies advance has been put to a halt thanks to help from the Golden Guard. The Tribal Dominion and every race that has been part of it has pretty much been cornered and has been forced to entrench itself in Salria. Gardon and the other kingdoms won't start a war with them unless they are the aggressors, so they are pretty safe right now. Their king's massive disdain towards Gardon and the kingdoms though, has made the dwarves both militarily and politically isolated, so they can from now on only rely on themselves to beat back all of their enemies.

Do the Dwarves have any marvels of engeneering that are secret or underrated?
Maybe they do. Although time will tell if this is true or not.

6) Are the Dwarves incapable of using magic?
They use magic and are pretty decent at it. Not their strongest point though. I'd say while the weakest race in magical capability, they are pretty ok

Level 6
Dwarves were reace of people who were hearty, proud and strong. With their technology and skills, they are a force to reckon with.

Answering you number by number:

1) They had the Golden Mines as their homeland. They defend it from raiders, thieves and the usual Vermin, the Lords of Lava. The Dwarves weren't homeless.

2) They were technicians at heart. Their technological advances were so high, with flying machines, advanced gunpowder weapons, strong metallurgy, and among others.

3) Dwarves were always in danger. In the mines, they had to fight both Vermin, rats claiming the mines for themselves. The Firelord flooding the mines with his minions recently is also a problem. Raiders from the other races were also a threat for their riches. And being torn between loyalism and self-preservation made them in danger. But who will worry, if ya got a weapon on ya.

4) Their explorer blood will always win. They find ancient marvels as much as they find rare and precious elements to forge.

5) The Dwarves will win, if the battle is in the mines, but they had nothing to fight these former allies. They isolated themselves now, with leaving their treaty with these races.

6) They had Rune Magic. They used Earth based magics, magical runes to boost their abilities. But that is it. By the way, who needs magic when you have high tech and mechanical weaponry whose magic was useless and resistant to what mages can throw.

Status
Not open for further replies.