• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Humans of Arkain

Is the Empire's attempt to "police the world" a fool's errand?

• Yes. The Empire promissed much but didn't deliver enough, the Emperor lied.

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • No. The Empire has the right idea and it would be overall better with a capable leader.

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Like in the previous thread we will share and debate our personal theories and beliefs about the Humans of Arkain in a healthy environment.

Let's begin.

The Humans of Arkain are possibly the most wide-spread race in the world. We know they exist as the "Empire" faction that has full control of an entire continent across the sea, other colonies spread across the world and in smaller numerous kingdoms on the continent "Arkain". They lead avarage life spans filled with intensity and a strong spirit that helps them persevere in the toughest of trials. They were at the head of the spear during the Voidwar that brough the Demonic invasion to a decisive halt and since then they have worked to rebuild what they lost as well as bring order where there's none and cleanse the lands of Demons.

1) How strong are the Humans?
The Humans have fairly mixed armies whose formation depends on the one that leads them. Armies such as Bloodclaw's 'Ironfist', Van Durce's 'Royal Guard', Merlon Seabright's 'Empire Navy Force' or Blen Greymoore's 'Karskin Troops' are excellent examples of how unique each army is when it comes to units and their abilities in combat.
Humans have an alright level of technology. They might not have the same level of siege weapons like the Dwarves (though some of their weapons or constructions are possibly commisioned by Dwarves) nor the magical prowess like the Elves, but it is enough to cause havoc to enemies or make a decisive stand agains an enemy army.
The 'Ironfist' possibly has some of the strongest Human soldiers that can be met in a battle. They are no different than hammers that nail down anything Bloodclaw points them at. Efficient and unrelenting just as their leader.
Humans also possess a few magical guilds that offers only the best magical talent to serve on the battlefield.
After their efforts in the Voidwar it's safe to say that Humans have (or had, considering their losses) one of the most formidable armies on Arkain.

2) How well versed are Humans in magic?
Although it may not be as widespread or developed as the magic of the Elves, it is known that Humans have in their society a few magical guilds (or cults) that specialize in certain areas and deliver satisfying results and services. They also seem to dable in other fields as well such as necromancy and possibly even demonology (given the existence of Demon worshiping cults).
The one guild that's possibly the most famous is the one where Lord Hamos hails from, where the most talented of mages are capable of summoning towering magical constructs made of fire and stone that can bring swift destruction to anything standing.

3) Who is the Emperor of the Human Empire?
Although not much is said about him (no precise age, abilities, strategy, acts of greatness or deep lore), he leads the strongest Human armies on Arkain from the safety of his palace in the heart of the Empire. Even though he is phisically far from his loyal servants, that doesn't mean he is unable to keep an eye on their acts or progress, then decide if their loyalty is still intact or they have been 'corrupted' or have strayed from the true path of the Empire's Will.
He can easily be compared to the 'Emperor of Humanity' (or the 'Emperor of Mankind', his precise title escapes me) from the Warhammer franchise, an old yet powerful and influential figgure that inspired humanity.
It is possible that the Emperor seeks to unite all of the Humans of Arkain under one name and one banner while cleansing the world of corruption (such as the Orcs, Demons and possibly the Undead) thus solodifying the Humans' reputation as "Keepers of Peace" or "Bringers of Stability" on Arkain and strengthening the fielty/friendship of the Dwarves and Elves towards them.

4) Do the Humans worship the Light?
It is difficult to say, but I'm fairly certain some of them do not. Even though they have Paladins and Priests in their ranks that most certanly believe in a benevolent higher existence that grants them their healing abilities, the soldiers or key characters however always call on the Emperor for guidance or when his will has to be done. Though they may not be as spiritually dead as the Orcs, the Humans have shown a minimum amount of faith in either a higher existence (a Deity of Light) that's based on faith, or a source of great inspiration (the Emperor) that's more rooted in reality.

5) Has the Empire's reach exceed its grasp?
It is well known that the Empire has a formidable force at its disposal. A powerful navy, imposing forces and fierce generals. But has the Empire promissed more than it can do? On the continent Arkain, some Human kingdoms (some resented them right when they arrived with the Emperor's edict in hand) have started to resent the Empire as well as the way its armies carry on their duty. They are seen as wasteful, prideful and overzealous servants of the Emperor that are starting to overstay their welcome.
It is true that the Empire did deliver on its word and brough the tortured kingdoms of Arkain enough time to catch their breath. But recently the Empire's acts have brought a lot of hate on them as well as suspicion. Especially when they started to turn on eachother.

6) Is the Empire vulnerable?
Knowing that the Empire sent a considerable token of forces as well as its valued Generals to Arkain to bring stability as well as the losses there and the internal fighting (as well as Bloodclaw's score settling), the question rises if the Empire is now vulnerable or deprived of some of its best fighters. Although it can almost be guaranteed that it will not be easy to cut a bloody path through the Empire to reach its heart, nor will it be an option to even reach its coasts; the Empire should still have remaining forces in it to ensure stability and security. Not to mention that the heart of the Empire itself could potentially be guarded by some of the most destructive and deadly defensive structures that are possibly protected or enhanced with magic. The Empire may be far from defenseless, but there still is a race in the world capable of bypassing certain defenses to strike where it hurts the most, as well as an ancient power that still holds sway over the events of the world.

Level 22
Humans have an alright level of technology. They might not have the same level of siege weapons like the Dwarves (though some of their weapons or constructions are possibly commisioned by Dwarves) nor the magical prowess like the Elves, but it is enough to cause havoc to enemies or make a decisive stand agains an enemy army.
If we are talking about the humans on Arkain, yeah their technology is cetainly weaker than that of the dwarves. But if we are talking about the human empire, then the dwarven technology seems ancient compared to their. No dwarf could ever build a cannon that stops an entire demonic invasion or the pride of humanity airships.
On magic, well i'll have to agree, but the humans also have very good mages that could give elven ones a run for their money.

Who is the Emperor of the Human Empire?
His name is Theodor the second. Since i don't know that much about him, i'll just say he was a good emperor that will be remembered horribly by the races living on Arkain and the fiture generations living in the human empire, due to his utter insanity and allowance to be manipulated by the dark entity.

Do the Humans worship the Light?
I'd say no. The Paladin order in my opinion isn't based on faith, rather a philosophy and a special kind of dogma.

Has the Empire's reach exceed its grasp?
I wouldn't exactly say exceeded its grasp. They do certainly know how to make an ally into a foe, that's for certain.
Their army is very, very massive. If they sent even 25 % or maybe in the extreme case 50 % of their army they could easily crush the 7 human kingdoms, the tribal dominion and the elves, possibly even dwarves at the same time. The cannon isn't taken into consideration in this scenerio though. Even if it was, it could help the kingdoms in a way, but they wouldn't survive outnumbered 50 to 1. They would inflict heavy casualties to the empire, but the human empire will emerge victorious in the end.

Is the Empire vulnerable
Maybe you will have a hard time breaking through the defenses, but since the entire empire is under the dark entity's manipulation it's certainly vulnerable in the anti-mind control department.

Level 9
If we are talking about the humans on Arkain, yeah their technology is cetainly weaker than that of the dwarves. But if we are talking about the human empire, then the dwarven technology seems ancient compared to their. No dwarf could ever build a cannon that stops an entire demonic invasion or the pride of humanity airships.
On magic, well i'll have to agree, but the humans also have very good mages that could give elven ones a run for their money.

Well the Empire did have the benefit of a possibly unified people and the unquestioned dominion over an entire continent. This guaranteed not only a quiet environment where engeneers could work undisturbed, but also an abundance of resources and workforce for their projects. There's not a whole lot known about the Dwarves lore-wise, so it is difficult to say if they were either satisfied with their current level of designs and didn't feel the need to further develop, or it's all they have left after internal conflicts or possible wars with other races.

His name is Theodor the second. Since i don't know that much about him, i'll just say he was a good emperor that will be remembered horribly by the races living on Arkain and the fiture generations living in the human empire, due to his utter insanity and allowance to be manipulated by the dark entity.

Well he wouldn't be the first to fall under dark influences. The king that betrayed Rahandir is said to have been stricken with envy because of how his popularity was always growing and how people looked up to him more than their king. The Elven Queen advised againts betraying Rahandir saying that he wouldn't turn on the King. I believe that it might have been a well placed dark thought in the King's mind by a demon that developed into envy and a minor case of obsession. Though its not confirmed nor mentioned by other characters if there was something off about the King's behaviour all of the sudden, or if it came naturally over the years.

I'd say no. The Paladin order in my opinion isn't based on faith, rather a philosophy and a special kind of dogma.

True. But aren't teachings and philosophies based on subjects that sometimes are spiritual/divine in nature? It is difficult to see someone that follows the teachings of peace and is somehow able to cast a light that heals without that power flowing from somewhere/someone. Mages, through intense mental training and studies of the arcane, impose their will on the elements to make them bend and move as they wish. Orc Shamans form a bond with the elements that enable them to throw bolts of lightning.
Although in the lore is said that Aridon wen't on a killing spree because of his obsession, I still believe that there is something that gives Paladins and Priests their abilities to heal and support. Either that entity survived and is a shadow of what it used to be and hides well from Ardion, or its a gift that was bestowed on the Human race before that entity was killed.

Maybe you will have a hard time breaking through the defenses, but since the entire empire is under the dark entity's manipulation it's certainly vulnerable in the anti-mind control department.

I still view the Empire as being somewhat vulnerable. Of course they have unquestioned rule over an entire continent and populated entire regions of it. But every armor has an opening as I like to think. Even if Theodore wasn't influenced, there still are Demon worshipers running about on Arkain. So I've cosidered the possibility of the Empire crumbling from within due to corruption. In WC3 a single Dreadlord was able to control the minds of Garithos and his men, so the possibility of a Demon with the same ability would show himself/herself and turn whole armies againts eachother. Weakening the Empire step by step.

Level 10
Demons of Arkain do not use mind control, they use succubus´ seduction. Gardon uses mind control.

Level 6
Let me answer my opinion:

Being the most numerous race (if not counting the Undead), they had the strength in numbers.
Their tech was in par with the Dwarves, thanks to the Imperial Engineers and dedicated research teams.
Their magic is quite weaker than Elves, Demons, Dominion and Undead counterparts, but they refined theirs over time.

Answering number by number:
1) The Human's strength was unquestionably strong, that is if they unite, no factionalism and bickering politicians. They were numerous and with tech advances, made them strong.

2) Although the Human magical prowess was not as strong as the other races, they compensate it with swarms of magicians diversifying their specialties.

3) The Emperor is Theodor the Second, nephew of High Lord Renald and half brother to Gardon Bloodclaw.

4) If we not count the Paladins, Angelics and other Golden Guard holy units, they were not.

5) The Imperial Army was stretched too thin. With multiple battlefields, fighting Demons, Orcs, rebels and occasional Undead, coupled with internal politics, regionalism, loyalties divided and the rise of the Royal Armies, made it more difficult. But with the Emperor sending another force to fight the cause of the failure in the intervention, we will never know.

6) The Empire is strong against external threats. Had Renald pushed through his final Crusade, the Empire will just fight them with equal zeal. Their armies in the heartland was plenty, even if some defects to the Golden Guard, they will still held them to a standstill. The Empire can also hold against Zyaise attack, although Gardon maybe hesitates attacking them, as that would be too taxing.

But maybe one internal enemy, they can be beaten. As what we see about what is happening to the Emperor himself, the Dark One will be victorious against the Imperials.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.