• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Creature Wars v.1.5

Reactions: JollyD

Introduction:

The Creature Wars presents a unique type of gameplay that is based on the Risk type style. It has been described as a mixture of Risk and Footman Frenzy, in which you need to take over other Villages to increase the numbers of spawners you have.

Suggested begginer's modes:
Teams: Free For All
Village Distribution: All Random
Additional: Quarter Upkeep; Classic Mode

NOTE: Although I made the map to be unique (and the spawn system was intended to be the map default) when hosting this I find players seem to like the "Classic" mode better - probably because most risk-based maps work like that. That's why it is advised to try that mode first, although I would like it if people played the map as I originally intended.

Pros:

* Beautifully done terrain, containing open regions and strategic choke points
The terrain of the map is divided into several regions, each of which spawns different types of creatures - where the game gets its name from. Each region can spawn two types of units, and the player can choose which units he wishes to spawn at each Village.

Plains
The Humans have dominated the western plains and the south western mountains. Humans are pretty average in most regards, but because of the large number of trade routes between their Villages a player can garner a large income from this region. Unfortunately, it is not a very defensible region, with several entrances into the territory.

182918-albums4657-picture45683.jpg

182918-albums4657-picture45682.jpg

182918-albums4657-picture45681.jpg

182918-albums4657-picture45680.jpg

182918-albums4657-picture45679.jpg

Elven Woods
The elves inhabit the north western corner of the land. It is a small region with only one entrance. Elves are strong, with the best archers in the land that let them protect their wood. These in turn must be protected from taking damage, and the elven melee unit is ideal for this.

182918-albums4657-picture45677.jpg

182918-albums4657-picture45678.jpg

Dwarven Mountains
Dwarves inhabit the northern mountains - a vast region but that's only sparsely populated. Dwarven infantry are incredibly strong with very tough armour and a powerful hammer. They take very long to produce. In the center of the dwarven lands lies an easily defendable choke point.

182918-albums4657-picture45676.jpg

182918-albums4657-picture45675.jpg

182918-albums4657-picture45672.jpg

182918-albums4657-picture45674.jpg

182918-albums4657-picture45673.jpg

The Isles
In the north eastern corner of the map are a series of beautiful islands. Here the mismatched murlocs and hydras make their home. Murlocs are very weak, but spawn very fast. In contrast, the hydras lord over all other creatures but take incredibly long to spawn. Strategically, controlling these amphibious units allows you access along river routes - and they are also not limited by bridge choke points.

182918-albums4657-picture45687.jpg

182918-albums4657-picture45686.jpg

182918-albums4657-picture45685.jpg

182918-albums4657-picture45684.jpg

Dark Woods
This dreadful place in the south eastern corner of the map is haunted by the bones of the past and a cowardly group of dark spearmen. Not a place to go looking for strong units, but the dead will pour out of this shadowy land with unnatural speed.

182918-albums4657-picture45695.jpg

182918-albums4657-picture45693.jpg

182918-albums4657-picture45694.jpg

Desert
The barren lands to the south are a conflicting cross-roads between many regions. The land is hard to defend, and powerful living flames annihilate all but a well prepared army. Conquer this region and they may be yours to command.

182918-albums4657-picture45671.jpg

182918-albums4657-picture45670.jpg

Orcish Lands
South of the central mountains is a green land that the orcs have claimed. It is mostly unpopulated and won't support much of an army, but the orcs that are found here are powerful - especially against the magical attacks of their neighbors - and can provide your army with valuable leadership.

182918-albums4657-picture45692.jpg

182918-albums4657-picture45691.jpg

Central Mountain
The grand mountain can be seen from all corners of the land, and swift aerie creatures make their home here. If garrisoned well with the magical sprites that dwell in the land then the mountain passes quickly become deathtraps - and the eagles that dwell in the land are unhindered by such a petty thing as the landscape

182918-albums4657-picture45690.jpg

182918-albums4657-picture45689.jpg

182918-albums4657-picture45688.jpg

* A handy Game Controls unit that makes it easier to control masses of units
- You can turn all your Villages' spawns on or off
- You can select a large group of units (larger than the 20 unit limitation of Warcraft 3) and order them to attack move to a region
- You can also select all your units on the map, but selecting a very large number of units in this fashion will cause your units to become unresponsive for a while
- You can set the rally points of all your Villages, to control where your units head to when they spawn.

* Many modes which allow you to play a game-type you like, easily selected by the host through convenient dialog boxes.
Primary modes: Teams
Free for All - No allying
Free Allying - Players can make and break alliances, but only one player can win
Custom Teams - The host sets up who will be on a team

Secondary modes: Village Distribution
Single Random - Each player gets one random Village. Players start with bonus gold to get them started.
All Random - Villages are divided up amongst players
Single Choice - Each player has 10 seconds to choose a Village at game start. If a player does not, he gets one randomly. Players start with bonus gold to get them started.
Village Draft - Players can choose one Village every ten seconds until there are no more Villages. If a player does not, he gets one randomly at the end of each ten second draft.

Tertiary modes: Other optional modes
Half Upkeep - Reduces upkeep costs by half
Quarter Upkeep - Reduces upkeep to a quarter
No Upkeep - Removes the upkeep system from the game entirely (Only for massive spam-fest games)
Double Spawn Rate - Units spawn twice as fast
Half Spawn Rate - Units take twice as long to spawn
Classic Mode - Units must be trained, they do not spawn for free
Bounty On - Get some gold for every enemy unit you kill
No Fog - Removes fog of war from the game

* Unit level-up system
The earlier levels focus on increasing the unit's survivability, while later ones increase their damage. At the last level, the unit gains an aura. The odds of a unit leveling up much is tiny, but it's there.
The system only has a minor effect on gameplay, but rewards players for keeping units alive.

10 Kills: +50 HP
20 Kills: +4 hp/sec regen.
30 Kills: +15 armour
40 Kills: +40 damage
50 Kills: +50% attack speed
75 Kills: +30% attack and movement speed aura

* Mathematically balanced units for a fair game

* Small file-size for easy hosting

Gameplay:

Once the game has started players upgrade Villages with a Barracks to make them begin to constantly spawn units at that Village. Spawned units will attack-move to the Village's Rally-point for ease of use. Players must use these units to attack enemy Villages, and once the enemy Village has been damaged to 25% life, it will change ownership.
To win, players must take over the map.

Income:
Each player gains income every 10 seconds, gaining 3 gold from every Village and a further 1 gold for every marketplace built (max of one per Village). Furthermore, Trade Routes offer more gold if the players' Villages are neighbors. Each of the neighboring villages gain a further 1.5 gold - this can be increased to 2.5 with the Mercantile upgrade that is researchable at any Village.

Upkeep:
There is also a unique upkeep system, in which your maximum army size is determined by your upkeep.
Each unit drains a certain amount of your income (depending on the units' strength). Once your upkeep is equivalent to your income, your villages will no longer train units until either some of your troops have died or your income has increased. If your upkeep exceeds your income you will steadily lose gold until you run out. Your units will then begin to die off until your income is greater than your upkeep again.
To can also turn off a Village's spawn if you do not want your army to grow.
5/03/2012
- Removed Guard Towers completely
- Hydras: Regen increased from 2 -> 2.33
- Eagles can once again not attack structures
- Reduced starting gold significantly
- Mass Cancel and Resume training orders no longer require a barracks

20/04/2011
- Guard Towers are a bit more expensive (65->100g)
- Hydras: Medium->Unarmoured armour (makes them a bit more resistant to towers and archer snipage, and a bit weaker to everything else)
- Fixed the trigger for Village Draft

19/04/2011
- Fixed hotkeys when training units
- Reduced the cost of training units to approx. 2/3rds
- Reduced training time of units to approx. 2/3rds
- Players now start with more gold the more players there are

19/04/2011
- Introduced a "Classic Mode" optional mode. In this mode, units don't spawn for free but must be trained. It seems to have been well received.
- Dust Devils: Medium->light armour
- Uhlans: Medium->light armour
- Pierce damage deals less damage to buildings
- Increased the size of the Game Controls' "Select Units" ability
- Various other minor miscellaneous edits

13/04/2011
- Map Released!

Future

Mages: I'm considering adding a third potential unit-type to some regions like a nice long-distance storm caster for the central mountains, necromancers for the undead, healers for the elves, etc.
Special Regions: I'm thinking of adding certain special structures in a few regions, just so that trying to capture certain areas might give nice bonuses. For example, controlling the central mountains will allow you to cast a global reveal every few minutes, controlling the plains might increase the gold you get from markets, etc.
If you have any decent ideas, post them and I may include them in the future.

If you find any bugs, please let me know. Finally, I'd appreciate anybody that wants to offer making a pretty load screen for the map.

1) Sometimes the items involved in the level-up system drop, when they are not supposed to (none of the units have "drop items on death" enabled, and none of the items can are dropable). Not too big a deal though.

Thanks

Thank you to everybody who has made models which I've incorporated - mostly trees so that the map will look pretty. I've given credit in-game in the quests section. I've limited the number of imports to keep the map size small so you don't have to wait forever for others to download it.

The map is unprotected. Please don't modify it or spread modified copies around. It's mostly just so people can see how a certain something is made to work if they want to. Also so that if any map makers out there can tell me how to fix any bugs or improve a trigger system it'd be wonderful.

Enjoy!

Keywords:
Weyird, Risk, Creatures, Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Undead, Orcs, Murlocs, Hydras Income, Trade, Upkeep
Contents

The Creature Wars v.1.5 (Map)

Reviews
17:51, 8th Sep 2011 Vengeancekael: Status: Approved Either the preview image was lost during the upload process or there's a problem with the map itself. Please update your map again to fix the problem. Contact Me

M

17:51, 8th Sep 2011
Vengeancekael:
Either the preview image was lost during the upload process or there's a problem with the map itself. Please update your map again to fix the problem.

Contact Me

Level 3
hey weyird maybe u can add different tower for each race.

Quite a nice idea..
Humans - current; Aeries - chain-lightning tower; Elves - multiple attack tower; dwarves - boulder tower (stun); undead - soul-stealing tower (possible instant death); orcs - watch tower (very fast attack); murlocs - tidal guardian (wave AoE).

I'll try it out. Thanks for the idea :)

Level 3
I've taken some screenshots but I have absolutely no idea how to load them up.. Any help?

EDIT: OK, found out how to upload screenshots.

EDIT 2: OK just updated the map (haven't changed the towers though) but the image of the minimap disappeared..

Last edited:
Level 7
that is server problem i think
edit1:hey weyird,maybe u can add different place different tier unit?like undead 2nd or 3rd village is tier 1 or 2.

Last edited:
Level 5
Warcraft's unit limitation is 12 not 20
havent tried the map yet but i will later
and will give a short review after playing :D
Edit:
The game can be finished with no strategy at all. The game was rather slow in the beginning in classic mode. the kills needed for each units is too high, it is nearly impossible for the same unit to kill 50 enemy units. .I could still be improved work hard for this map to be better than other risk maps..
Terrain is plain normal but well made, just not that appealing.
Suggestions:
-There should be 1 race for each players (can be a mode)
-Some towns have specialties like having to train units faster, larger income and others
-There should be heroes or hero-like units that are stronger than normal troops
-aside from a mass attack option there should be a make squad function that can hold up to 20 or something
-A different variety of towers
-A limit to number of units, maybe each town can provide a limited number of troops or all together
-Terrain advantages (ex. High cliffs + range units= more damage) and for each unit/race/class
-Higher/faster income (maybe a mode)
-More different types of units
-Racial advantages i guess.....
-Air transport
-King/Queen/Ruler (will give bonus to all units but when it dies it takes a lot of time to make another one and all units get weaker)
thats pretty much it good luck with your map and i might play future versions 3/5

Last edited:
Level 4
pretty good but i agree could use some towers and maybe regions (control all elf region = +10 income)