• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Caverns of Time

This bundle is marked as high quality. It exceeds standards and is highly desirable.
Reactions: deepstrasz
THE CAVERNS OF TIME

FROM THE UPCOMING CAMPAIGN: TO SEE A WORLD IN A GRAIN OF SAND
Created by Xanur21

THE STORY BEHIND THE MAP

Deep under the Caverns of Time, exists a time-way to a world never thought possible. In an attempt to prolong his own life and avoid his mortality, Nozdormu hid the possibility of this world from the rest of Azeroth and its heroes.

With the aid of the Infinite Dragonflight, Jaina will infiltrate the deepest of caverns, in an attempt to right the wrongs committed against her, the Infinite Dragonflight, her loved ones and the rest of Azeroth, by the Lord of Time.

FEATURES

This map is situated within the deepest halls of the Caverns of Time. The aim of the map is to create the feeling of a distant, eerie, Infinite Dragonflight-inspired subterranean hallway, hidden from the sights of the mortal and immortal races of Azeroth for years since Arthas took up Frostmourne.

Come explore these hidden hallways, and discover hidden gems, from the icy Pools of Time, to the colossal Hourglasses of Fate.

DISCLAIMER

Feel free to use and edit this map, with credits to me and the creators of the used content in this map.

This map was made using The Ultimate Terraining Map 4.0, thus it is a big file. I did not attempt to remove any unwanted files, in the case that someone would like to edit this map.

SCREENSHOTS

CHANGELOG

= Reduced size of doodads
= Added 'Lumpy Grass' and 'Grassy Dirt' to Tileset
= Filled previously unused South-Eastern corner
= Replaced bridge with a set of Waygates

CREDITS

IF YOUR NAME SHOULD APPEAR ON THIS LIST, AND IT IS NOT, FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME AND I WILL ADD IT.

DungeonM
fladdermasken

Sin'dorei300 - Glass Statue
Tranquil - Castle Tower
Yusuf (WC Underground) - Hourglass
Daelin
Olofmoleman
Chriz.
xXm0rpH3usXx
Celestea
Nasrudin
aquilla
Mc !
Illidan
reinless
oBs3rv3r
Xios
sc_freak
abriko
JetFangInferno
iNfraNe
Whitehorn
Red XIII
HappyTauren
Herio-san
Illidan(evil)x
Born2Modificate
BlinkBoy
DungeonM
Talavaj
tobyfat50
oGre_
Born2Modificate
Deolrin

Keywords:
Caverns of Time, Terrain, Template.
Contents

Caverns of Time Template (Map)

Reviews
21:43, 1st Sep 2015 Shadow Fury: This magnificent template is approved!
Level 25
If this is the terrain of a campaign you're creating, does that mean you're importing your files in the import manager instead of using the campaign importer?

Because you should really use the campaign importer instead of the normal importer if you're going to have multiple maps in your campaign.

Level 5
Sorry about the lack of description and screenshots. I posted screenshots in the original 'preview' of the map in Map Development. I wanted to post screenies with the map upload itself, but I couldn't see an option to upload them with the map? Maybe I just overlooked it? I do apologise.

I'm a Junior Doctor, and I'm on call this week, so things are a bit hectic. I'll redo the description this weekend.

If this is the terrain of a campaign you're creating, does that mean you're importing your files in the import manager instead of using the campaign importer?

Because you should really use the campaign importer instead of the normal importer if you're going to have multiple maps in your campaign.

This is a terrain I'm going to use in my campaign. I uploaded the map as a terrain template, if anyone wanted to use it for something else, or improve on it for themselves, they're also welcome. It would also be welcomed if critique could be given on the map, i.e. any improvements, positive points, negative points etc.

As for my own campaign, I will have multiple maps. I will be sure to use the campaign importer. I've only created this map so far, and it is only the basic terrain. I don't have any custom units, scripts, triggers or cinematics yet.

Level 21
This is quite a nice template. The usage of doodads and the manipulation of special effects was simply magnificent. The way you used the mist and fog to give a creepy look to the entrance of the caves was definitely impressive; one couldn't ask for a better effect. The trick of the blue lava cracks altogether turned out to give a very pleasant magical aspect to the frozen ponds (were they even ponds?). You chose wisely the doodads to use for your template because in terms of doodads you did a very good job. However, when I saw the tiles, I was disappointed. They do not really seem to fit with the doodads. The contrast and difference in colours/tonalities is unattractive this the landscape doesn't seem to have any link with the environment. Tile variation is another point... you missed that. You've put sand and dirt everywhere; two tiles that look really similar. You could certainly be more creative on this part and add a greater variation of tiles.
One of the most awkward issues is the enormousness of the doodads. They are so large that they obstruct the normal camera view, making it very hard utilizing this template for playable maps. You should reduce the size of those annoyingly gigantic doodads so that they have a more acceptable size.
Finally, may I ask why the southeastern zone is totally empty? There's just a huge hourglass and nothing more. That's not what makes a template complete.

I would like to see some of those issues fixed before approving the template. For now, it's 3/5 but set to needs fix.

Level 5
This is quite a nice template. The usage of doodads and the manipulation of special effects was simply magnificent. The way you used the mist and fog to give a creepy look to the entrance of the caves was definitely impressive; one couldn't ask for a better effect. The trick of the blue lava cracks altogether turned out to give a very pleasant magical aspect to the frozen ponds (were they even ponds?). You chose wisely the doodads to use for your template because in terms of doodads you did a very good job.

Thank you very much. I appreciate the positive feedback. They were indeed ponds, and I'm glad the idea was conveyed as such.

However, when I saw the tiles, I was disappointed. They do not really seem to fit with the doodads. The contrast and difference in colours/tonalities is unattractive this the landscape doesn't seem to have any link with the environment.

It is nice to receive feedback like this from you. I understand that for example the rocks are very contrasting to the sand. I will try and find a solution to this problem.

Tile variation is another point... you missed that. You've put sand and dirt everywhere; two tiles that look really similar. You could certainly be more creative on this part and add a greater variation of tiles.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. The Caverns are after all just tunnels in a desert. I feared that using other terrain textures would pull away from the Caverns of Time feeling, to just another subterranean cave somewhere else. I will try and implement different terrain textures for the sake of aesthetics and appeal.

One of the most awkward issues is the enormousness of the doodads. They are so large that they obstruct the normal camera view, making it very hard utilizing this template for playable maps. You should reduce the size of those annoyingly gigantic doodads so that they have a more acceptable size.

I will get to work on reducing the size of the doodads. Thank you.

Finally, may I ask why the southeastern zone is totally empty? There's just a huge hourglass and nothing more. That's not what makes a template complete.

I originally left the area open in an attempt to create the idea of a never ending or continues hallway to the South-Eastern direction. The Hourglass was meant to serve as a centerpiece for a great battle that would take place there in the campaign, much like the large hourglass in WoW as you enter the Caverns of Time.

I shall close that area off and give it more 'fullness'.

Once again, I really appreciate your feedback, and I will get to work on those changes as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Level 21
From what I can see from the screenshots this is way better than 3/5, it should not even be compared.

After the update, you are right, the 3/5 doesn't do justice to the template anymore, time for a change.
I must admit, I'm impressed. The special effects, the fog, the rocks... just everything is astonishing! Although overscaled doodads are still present, it's no more a concern. I tried going around the entire map with normal camera view and I didn't have plenty of problems of view obstruction.
I would give it a 5/5 but as Chaosy said, the ground lacks decoration and didn't receive enough awesomeness. I'm no expert terrainer so I leave it to you to figure out what could beautify it. Try experimenting with various doodads until you get something satisfying. Also try to do something for the awkward shadows. I don't know if you put them intentionally or not but they ruin the aspect of the terrain because some shadows don't seem to correspond to any object.
As for now, it is more than worthy of an approval with a rating of 4/5. Nicely done!

Level 5
After the update, you are right, the 3/5 doesn't do justice to the template anymore, time for a change.
I must admit, I'm impressed. The special effects, the fog, the rocks... just everything is astonishing!

Thank you very much!

I would give it a 5/5 but as Chaosy said, the ground lacks decoration and didn't receive enough awesomeness. I'm no expert terrainer so I leave it to you to figure out what could beautify it. Try experimenting with various doodads until you get something satisfying.

I really appreciate the critique. I'm currently working on another project, but I'll revisit this map in the near future. It just didn't feel right at the time to throw down a few random tufts of grass and call it an "updated" map.

Also try to do something for the awkward shadows.

Honestly, I don't know how that happened. It definitely wasn't intentional. :cneut:

I'll see what I can do about it when I revisit the map.