• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The 48 Hour Map making Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
It is wrong to have no theme,

1.No theme is wrong as it is, i.e. can you compare two total different types of maps?
2.If someone finds this contest for example, 7 hour later than it began, he has disadvantage, solution is simple, set the start of contest few days before it starts, people will know when they should reserve their time at the PC, and at the start, tell the theme. So everybody will have the same time and same chances and noone can prepare before it really starts.

Level 31
1.No theme is wrong as it is, i.e. can you compare two total different types of maps?

Because there is a extremely limited amount of time, that is why there is no theme. Just like speed mapping contest does.

2.If someone finds this contest for example, 7 hour later than it began, he has disadvantage, solution is simple, set the start of contest few days before it starts, people will know when they should reserve their time at the PC, and at the start, tell the theme. So everybody will have the same time and same chances and noone can prepare before it really starts.

That is what we are doing at this moment. We now currently discuss if this contest could be approve or not. If it does, we would show the gmt time started and end.

Level 34
It is wrong to have no theme,

1. Yes you can.
2. We could have an announcement on the front page for the date the contest starts.

Level 11
I think we should first sign up the all the people who participate in the contest, and after all the people are signed they are notified of the beginning date and time. Like for instance's everyones signed up and We announce that the contest shall begin in 4 hours or something like that.

Level 14
This is a really lame idea, but w/e. I'm probably going to be right by saying that when there won't be enough submissions the contest's deadline will be moved to the next day or possibly the day after that, after which it'll be very similar to the speed mapping contest.

I mean, if you want to make a good map and have only two days you can't really make it. Two days, that's like 6-8 hours at the PC max and that's not enough for a good map. 24 hours is an even lamer idea. What can you make in 3 hours? Nothing good.

Level 14
To those saying 48 hours is not enough: ever heard of the TDG Mapathon?

--

But yes, this is pretty blah.

Poot, if you're talking about the weekly contests hosted by CHUNK and the gang you have to remember that when those were held there were better mappers among the community that could actually pull it off. Now 99% of w3 mappers either make an above-average map with a team or work on it for over a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.