• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing attempt on the Naga Siren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moy

Moy

Level 49
Prev.jpg

Creating a skin out of the Naga Siren, just wanted to try texturing since a texturing contest is upcoming.

The front body part I think lacks something. The head part is kinda hard too. I think the scales is okay a bit? The face was based off to one of Diana's (League of Legends) skin.

A preview again its a png so it means it doesn't have a alpha channel?
preview.jpg

Any suggestions? Though I can't update so much, I'm using mobile currently.

Moy

Moy

Level 49
An update:
aw%20%282%29.jpg

The head part is still quite messy, haven't achieved the shape. It has horns though I'll removed it, because it stretches and looks bad. I have also made some progress at the back amd the scales. The side one are just some experiments. The scales is unfinished though. The face will be fixed soon the chest area is still not fixed.

Suggestions?

Moy

Moy

Level 49
The back has some little progress now. Very little.

This day's progress.

prevo.jpg

The tail is almost half finished. The scales are still unshaded.

The helmet has a shape now, though not really sure.

The front had some tweaks.

And the back has little progress.

Weapon and arms still not touched. (Virgin Parts XD)

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Just wanted to post that she looks too kind and friendly, but then I read you wanted her to.

Great skin!

The eyes seem wide opened as fireworks on 4th of July.
Try to fiddle even more with the eyelids and make the pupil less jumpy(as in surprised and too dang happy for her own good).

Also her headdress is overdecorated and heightened on top.
Maybe you could focus a bit more on the sides to make it look like it has proper support.

'love the dress and the face though

Level 28
I'd say, add shadows. To all parts that should be dark, from hands, to chest area, but most importantly to the tail - it lacks even a light shadow. Probably a few highlights on some of the scales as well. The bracer is very undetailed, as is the blade, so add some detail to those (probably just use some textures).
But the main problem, and of course you did a great job and I can't expect you to really fix it, is the face. I mean, it looks kinda weird and kind of flat. The eyes seem too wide open, the nose and lips kinda weird. You see, it's mainly an issue of knowing where the texture will get extra stretched and ruin what you had drawn. Simple solutions I can think of now are remove that extra smile by lowering the corners of the mouth (she can't always smile, it's kinda weird.. like the Joker), round (as in degrees) the eyes a bit, add more shadows to the left and right parts of the face when the skin goes backwards (after the skull bones area.. you know what I'm talking about) and kind of shorten the nose's end part (or widen it, this could work too, depending on whether you want a really small nose or a more realistic one) because the texture gets stretched a lot. Face has to be the most perfected part of a texture, that is one of the reasons why I usually don't touch human faces a lot when retexturing (my skill level will never be enough to match other rendering stuff). Also, she looks kinda pale. I think you could try saturating her a bit, see if it works, if not, well, worth a try right?
Nevertheless great texture! I love how you rendered the metal parts with their highlights, trims and colors. The magenta to turquoise green is amazing, the cloth area has a good design.

Moy

Moy

Level 49
About the nose, I cannot enlarge it anymore or it will have a very bad nose, like she had a failed plastic surgery.

You don't want her to be kind eh? Okay I will make her look more evil on the next update! :D

On the skin part, well, I will change it to normal skin color well kinda like human skin.

On the other things you've said I might consider it. :D

Thanks btw.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Just tell me guys of you want her to look angry/evil or whatsoever. :D

You should make her the way you want her to look.

I don't know whether I liked the friendly blue eyes or the rather malicious green ones more.

Level 28
- Oooh yea I forgot the real naga siren has a small nose. Then maybe just try to work with the model more and less with the texture. What I mean by this is figure out where it stretches and why. This doesn't really matter for body parts in warcraft 3 texturing but for the Portrait area I think it does.
- No not kind, I just meant she looked kinda.. ehm. Unrealistic with such permanent smile on her face. Usually if you want her to be overall happy the smile should be very slight and this effect will come when you lower the corners of the lips just a bit. Not too much, cuz then she will look sad or angry.
- That would be kinda out of theme though, normal skin color. I mean if you want to, but she looks ok to me right now.
- Both eyes were good, just a bit out of place for me, proportionately speaking. Er.. I don't know. Could be just me.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Wow, it looks impressive ( as it already did before, but you know, now a new step further in the ladder of awesomeness) !

To be honest, for me the highlights around the head feel slightly random, even though there is a clear light source/direction, I think you could go over them again, fixing one or another shadow/highlight and make it a bit more accurate, what do you think ?

Her chin, uh, she has a strong chin, hasn't she :)

It is a sad the bad mesh of the siren does not allow your skin to come out perfectly, a HQ version of the siren would make your skin looks damn awesome. Damn you, Blizzard ( beside the fact that modelling in the past is different than the quality of it today).

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

agreed with heinvers, i'd like to see her in the skins section now :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.