• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

texture compress request

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
ok hey there

for those reading/taking up this request, here it is! :p

well basically i downloaded these HQ terrain models from wc3campaigns and their textures size is just WAAAY to big.
Dont get me wrong, i have tried but i may have done something wrong, when i compressed the texture file using wc3 viewer, i wanted to see how it would turn out quality wise on the model, the model just went invisible for some reason,

If you are a PRO :grin: of compressing textures, please help me. I am not sure if i am allowed to post them up here since the guy on wc3campaigns who uploaded the models said it was not allowed to be spread on other sites so,,,, if you are a good guy and would like to help me out, PM me.

PS: some of the texture sizes were like 800kb... and i want it to be around 20-40 kb (MAX), well if you're gonna help i'll tell you later which models are the ones that i dont care about (quality wise)

and yes i do know that when you compress a texture that is 800kb to 20-40 kb, it aint gonna be great.

by spread, it pretty much means add to the model section, i doubt anyone cares if you get help here to compress the textures...

"If you are a PRO :grin: of compressing textures, please help me"
lol... a pro at compressing textures... its not that hard
but ill give you the steps to....
although this isnt hte easiest way, its the way i do, and works every time :p (unless your useing wow textures)

TOOLS NEEDED:
Photo editing program, i sugest GIMP its free, and get it at www.gimp.org
War3modeleditor which you can download here...
STEP 1: open the texture with war3modeleditor, then go to windows/texturemanager

Step 2: export the texture as a .bmp (.bmp supports transparency)

Step 3: open it with gimp, then go to Image/Scale

Step 4: set that to about 128, (or 258, or maybe 512 if its a huge flat plane)

Step 5: save and exit gimp

Step 6: open the new .bmp with war3modeleditor, and then go to windows/texturemanager

Step 7: export the .jpg onto your old texture file (.blp or .tga)

Step 8: Skip this step

Step 9: Import, yada yada, enjoy

NOTES: Be sure you do step 8 as its very important!

Level 4
thanks alot, i havnt tried it but i'll edit this post if it doesnt work (which i doubt since you said you did it every time and it never failed)

Status
Not open for further replies.