• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terran Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
WSJex.png

General Information

Terran Tactics is a single-player campaign for StarCraft II. It goes for a more realistic and tactical approach compared to the default StarCraft II gameplay. You can't train your units on the battlefield, but instead must assemble your army beforehand.
What's more, you can upgrade your troops between each battle, and any units that are still alive at the end of the battle will be refunded (i.e. recycled). And of course, there will be a New Game+ mode which allows you to start the campaign once again but with all of your upgrades and money intact.

The gameplay is inspired by games that are part real-time battle, part turn-based strategy, part resource management such as Kessen, Fire Emblem and Valkyria Chronicles. Like on those games, you must use your units efficiently, take full advantage of the environment and plan your moves in advance.
That said, this won't be as hardcore as Brutal difficulty on the Wings of Liberty campaign. In there, you pretty much had to understand each unit's capabilities as well as master your micro- and macromanagement in order to win - this campaign won't be that hard, but it'll still give you a decent challenge.

Here's a video that showcases the gameplay of Terran Tactics as well as the New Game + mode. Please note that the video is a bit old and the map isn't perfect, but the gameplay is shown in its final form here.

(be sure to activate subtitles)

Development Status

Update from August 8th, 2012: For archiving purposes, I'll let you know of the current Hiatus status of the project which started back in April. I admit that it was, dare I say, unpolite of me to not mention this earlier, but the last thing I want is to let this thread look like yet another abandoned project.

The campaign was put on hold by me after I failed to find anyone who would last longer than a week. That's no joke, I had 3 mappers who would quite after a month or were not available after a while. So instead of keeping up that farce, I decided to take a break from Terran Tactics adn concentrate on other projects.
That break was a wise move, for I had the time to just sit down and look at the concept from a different angle. I realized that the concept could still be improved, and without the hiatus I probably wouldn't have noticed them.

The current plan is to wait until Heart of the Swarm is released. As we all know from WarCraft III, it's not until the expansion comes out that full campaign support is added to the game. This may be redundant for many StarCraft II mappers out there since everybody is making multiplayer maps, but I for once want to make at least one proper singleplayer campaign for the game aside from the StarCraft I remakes.

If anyone is still interested in helping me out, be my guest, but please note that there is no "active" development right now, but rather a "pre-production" phase until Heart of the Swarm is released. If anything, one can work on his work with less time pressure and we can do it Valve/Blizzard style and test it until it's perfect.

Recruitment

In case you're interested to help me out on this campaign, everyone is welcome.
What is required right now is a map designer because this is one of my weak points, and a decent campaign needs more than just two maps.
Optionally, other positions such as modelers and 2d artists are open as well. I don't need them per se because the campaign uses the standard models for the most part, but if you feel like contributing to it, you're welcome ;).

If you're interested, send me a PM. Skype is recommend later on, but not required.
Also, be sure to actually have time when working on this campaign. I've met 3 map designers who were unavailable after a short time, but a stable team is required on such a project. I don't demand you to work 24/7 on this, but at least in regular intervals.

Last but not least

If you have any questions about the campaign, don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Be aware that tactical based gamplay like you are describing seems quite common in StarCraft II so will be in for a lot of competition.

What's more, you can upgrade your troops between each battle, and any units that are still alive at the end of the battle will be refunded (i.e. recycled).
This is very prone to land sliding which is bad for user enjoyment. If you do well you end up with an impossible to lose quantity of resources. If you make too many mistakes you might not have enough resources to win.

That said, this won't be as hardcore as Brutal difficulty on the Wings of Liberty campaign. In there, you pretty much had to understand each unit's capabilities as well as master your micro- and macromanagement in order to win - this campaign won't be that hard, but it'll still give you a decent challenge.
The campaign did not need much micromanagement at all. It needed reasonable macro skills and for you to not play stupidly (sending marines against a high templar or ramming diamondbacks into maurders for examples of stupid play). Thanks to an unrestricted save state system it was not that difficult to pass any brutal mission if you tried.

Level 1
This is very prone to land sliding which is bad for user enjoyment. If you do well you end up with an impossible to lose quantity of resources. If you make too many mistakes you might not have enough resources to win.

I admit that this is a tricky one to balance, but it's possible. The rewards aren't that big, so you can either expand your army by two or three units after a mission (best-case scenario for a real pro) or cope up your losses (did one or two minor mistakes). Yes you can also screw up big time, but this equals a Game Over followed by a Reset for the gamer. If he still continues, it's his risk, but if he's wise and reloads the savefile he can do better and learn from his mistakes.
That is not to say that I can pull off the perfect balance on my first try, I'll do some careful playthrough tests and figure out the best between the two worlds (easy + hard).

The campaign did not need much micromanagement at all. It needed reasonable macro skills and for you to not play stupidly (sending marines against a high templar or ramming diamondbacks into maurders for examples of stupid play). Thanks to an unrestricted save state system it was not that difficult to pass any brutal mission if you tried.

Yeah macro is more important than micro, I admit that. I also admit that I'm a relative noob when it comes to multiplayer games, therefore finishing Brutal was a big challenge for me. I had to adapt to that level of management first, which might not be the case for RTS veterans.
So when I mentioned Brutal, I meant that I still try to give beginners a chance to finish the game by mastering it very, very slowly (like me). Don't get me wrong, Terran Tactics still is a game that requires a certain amount of intelligence (like you said, don't send marines against high templar because of psi storm, and the like) but I won't make it an elite-only game.

Level 1
Hi, If you still plan on continuing this, I can help out making maps.

Someone who shows interest in a threat that hasn't been updated in months? I feel honored to find someone with so much curiosity :thumbs_up:

I have to warn you though: I've been putting the project on hold for a while now, which is both a good and a bad thing. The good thing is that I was able to further refine the concept and improve it in ways I might've missed otherwise.
The bad thing is that I have nothing prepared as of yet because I was planning to wait for Heart of the Swarm to be released until I would resume work on it.
In other words, we would start from square one with this one.

If you're still serious about this though (and I mean REALLY serious, I had more than 3 mappers joining the team and then quitting after a month. I need people who're dedicated) send me a PM.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
As a rule of thumb for such projects it is best to allocate new members low coupling and good cohesion tasks that can be completed without much work but easilly intigrated into the map as a whole. This makes it easy for them to achieve something, makes the map more maintainable and allows you to change people easier in the case they decide to quit for some reason.

Examples of tasks with low coupling and good cohesion.
Single abilites for units.
Part of a trigger system (like some functions).
Single pieces of artwork.
A selection of text elements to translate.

Status
Not open for further replies.