1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Seek unity between the elements in the 22nd Terraining Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Seize the moment! The 18th Mini Mapping Contest has commenced.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Terrain

Submitted by Samlag
This bundle is marked as substandard. It may contain bugs, not perform optimally or otherwise be in violation of the submission rules.
A terrained map, using ashenvale tileset.

Please comment! ;)

Keywords:
Terrain, ashenvale
Contents

Terrain (Map)

Reviews
23:24, 26th Jun 2009, by Linaze Decent terrain, but the terrain layout makes this template rather useless, Rejected
  1. 23:24, 26th Jun 2009, by Linaze
    Decent terrain, but the terrain layout makes this template rather useless, Rejected

2. Tau Empire

Tau Empire

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Sorry but this will be removed for the following facts
    -Not playable

-Not much description about your terrain.

3. dragor-X

dragor-X

Resources:
    Resources:
    Quite good terrain but it's pretty similar to Wc3 ORPG terrain. I've also found a little ''bug'': The port in bottom left corner is not well placed because it is going through the ground. Also, a suggestion, instead of using bridge, use lower terrain only and enforce water height limit to make it look much more natural. Brdige is too much not good and sometimes it makes ''holes''.
    Picture
    [​IMG]
    That screenshot should explain everything.

It's good but not very original in fact. I've saw way better terrain. I'm not good in terraining, but after 5 years of warcraft gaming, I've played enough games to know what's a good terrain and what's not (doesn't mean you're isn't).

See for some tutorials in the site about terraining, it might give you ideas for a new terrain or to modify this one. Have fun! Good luck!

Note/Tip: Here it's map submission, terrain isn't well welcomed. Try to make a mini game just to make the player have fun in your terrain. Or maybe make commands with triggers which change the view, set fod, set weather, put # units, etc. Use your imagination.

4. ap0calypse

ap0calypse

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    There are terraining forums around here, this is the place you need to be: Terraining Board.

The terrain itself is too plain and empty, you didn't use enough environmental doodads, the road was a bit dissapointing at a few places, where it was just a flat road.
    The NE village didn't look night elfish enough, the lumpy grass would be better there (I think).
    The edge water - land wasn't really good, it should go more smoothly, now you've a got a cliff which instantly ends in water.
    Some blizzard cliffs weren't positioned really well and I generally don't like them for my own reasons :)

In short: use the raise/lower tools a little bit more, add environmental doodads and choose the tileset more wisely.
    Not bad, though... but it's not supposed to be in the map-section ;)

Edit:

If you want to create really good terrains, try looking at these masterpieces: Legendary Terrains
    That thread is constantly being updated with new terrains, some of them don't look like warcraft at all and that is, of course, the whole point of a good terrain ;)
    You will probably say "WTF?" when you see it... now, try to imagine that feeling and create something yourself that makes you feel the same way ^^

If you want to create template terrains instead, that thread might still help you.

5. Septimus

Septimus

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    1) Description - The description are very poor and you used the wrong category for your map. It suppose to be template, not others.

2) Terrain - The terrain isn't that bad, but it isn't that good either. At some road, adding a bush and weed would make it better. At the same time, try add different wild life apart from stag only.

Use some destructible/doodad such as flock of bird since it was a forest.

Overall, 2/5 (Lacking).

6. Warhunter

Warhunter

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Quite good terrain. ;P

7. Beronin

Beronin

Resources:
    Resources:
    the terrain is nice and needs just some little upgrades
    the doodads need to be way improved *cough*boats*cough*
    and please learn how to describe a map

all in all 2.5

8. Samlag

Samlag

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hehe, anyone got any example for a description =P Like what could have been there, Realy I have no idea!

9. Avex

Avex

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well you could put what inspired you to make it.. what it was originally used for (if it was originally used for anything), is it a deep jungle, or just a forest.

10. Linaze

Linaze

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Terrain is a map template using the Ashenvale tileset.

There isn't much to comment on here except for the terrain and a few other things, but I'll begin with the terrain. It looks okay for sure, but since this is a template that can mostly be reviewed upon how good the terrain looks, I think it needs to be a bit better. It could especially use some more environmental doodads and the road could use some more tile variation. The height variation could also use some smoothing at some places where it's rather sharp at the moment.

The description of this map could be better, you could for example write that this is a template even though it's rather obvious. The map could also have been named better, instead of "Terrain" you should've named it something like "Ashenvale Template".

The last thing that I though about is, what can this template actually be used for? It seems really limited and looks like it's supposed to be a chapter of a campaign or something. Two camps have already been placed out, but the template wouldn't work as a AoS since there'd only be one lane, lots of unused map space, no towers etc. My point is that I don't think that this template would be very usable for anyone, really, because it's too limited for most genres. The idea is good, the execution, however, isn't enough for approval.

2/5 (Lacking) and voted for disapproval.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  11. Hedgehog-king

Hedgehog-king

Resources:
    Resources:
    the terrain looks very nice, its a shame looking at the ratings though since its getting rated as a map and not as a template.

12. ap0calypse

ap0calypse

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Sorry, you are wrong: it's being looked at as a terrain, not as a map.
    Read my, septimus' and Linaze's post, you'll see that we won't talk about gameplay, objects, triggers or anything, only about the terrain.
    We also say why the terrain isn't that good.