• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Terrain: Moonlit Waters

Status
Not open for further replies.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Finally completed a terrain. Haven't terrained in a while so it felt good to be back at it. I want to change this terrain somehow though, however I just can't figure out what's bothering me about it.
So therefore I turn to you hive. Please give any kind of feedback so I know what to improve and what's good.

Attachments

• University #1 (Name).jpg
    University #1 (Name).jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 307
Level 11
cool terrain you got there i like a lot:D the only things i could point out are the mountains in the background..they look kinda weird with so few trees on them add more and i think the moon doodad would look better(its here on hive somewhere)
supposing that the stars stop in the upper part of the terrain cuz theres a cloud there shouldn't the cloud be brighter that the place where the stars are??

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Thanks for pointing out the clouds, I'll try to make them brighter. The mountains in the back are covered in fog so adding more trees will do nothing as only the trees at the top will be vissible. I'll try to add more though. Thank you both for feedback.
Anyone else has any feedback to give me?

Last edited:
Level 3
Perhaps add a marching army that is coming through the forest that is on the right side, so that the link character is in anticipation when looking at them.

Really good work!

Level 18
heres things to improve on :

1) the moon is infront of the mountains. Put it behind the mountains. Since its a moon, you might want to replace those glows with something circular instead with little glow, Or you could just simply keep moving it behind the mountain .

2) The rocks are too small and look rather bad when reflected. Instead, use one large rock for those isalnds and reflect one large rock with an upside down version of that model.

3) everything else is pretty decent and rather creative, i especially like the link model, the reflection and the moons glimmer on the water. Also the details on the mountain are great. However, since ur using reflection, you might need to reflect all the details on the mountain near the front. Every door, light and building. Since thats too hard of a task, i suggest getting rid of the front reflection all together and make it a single landmass with the land that link is standing on.

Also you might wanna fix the moons position its off .

i hope that helped u out =) good job either way i like theglimmer alot ;D

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
That's why I love the hive (just had to say it) Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it (+rep) The moon is something I have to work on, and putting it behind the mountains is my #1 prio. The reflection technique is completely new to me, so to get feedback from one of the reflection masters was just what I needed. I was thinking though, since the mountains aren't located exactly on the shore it wouldn't show the entire reflection in the water. That's why I only reflected the top of it, but I guess I cuold add more so you see the top of the building and the watergate. Glad you liked my moon glimmer, I was quite happy with the result. I was searching my ass off for some kind of tutorial, but then I gave up and improvised;
Thanks again for the feedback, helped me alot

Last edited:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
The moon is a little bright for a moon. It almost looks like a sun covered with a blue curtain. There are also a little too many rocks, maybe? A few trees seem to have grown on them.
I don't think the moon being in front of the mountains is too noticeable (or have you fixed it meanwhile?). Nevertheless, those reflections... my goodness, they look good! I suppose the stars are made with the projectile of a unit and a glow?

Level 6
Nice! I like it. I didn't see Link till a lil' later because I was focused on the the terrain. Especially the water. I knew the reflection was mana drain right off though. Lawl.

But what I didn't know was how you got the water. The sky to look good. Not sure about terrain. Did you make everything float? What is an alpha tile? Is the glow in the buildings the generic glow but yellow? Are those buildings completely ARCHWAYS?! Good EFFIN' J-O-B!

Attachments

• myratesystem.jpg
    myratesystem.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 73

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Thanks for the feedback and pleased to hear you all like the terrain :smile:
Nice! I like it. I didn't see Link till a lil' later because I was focused on the the terrain. Especially the water. I knew the reflection was mana drain right off though. Lawl.

But what I didn't know was how you got the water. The sky to look good. Not sure about terrain. Did you make everything float? What is an alpha tile? Is the glow in the buildings the generic glow but yellow? Are those buildings completely ARCHWAYS?! Good EFFIN' J-O-B!
The water is made from lowering the ground so it just barely reaches the waterlevel and then place alpha tiles all over the place. Alpha tiles are basically tiles that remove the ground so that the skybox is seen in the water. The building glow is just the glow doodad from utm tinted yellow. The buildings are made with granite blocks and different kinds of archways, glad you like it :smile:
Amazing! +cooookieee (its chocolate cookie i hope you like it :p )
Luve chocolate cookies :smile:
The moon is a little bright for a moon. It almost looks like a sun covered with a blue curtain. There are also a little too many rocks, maybe? A few trees seem to have grown on them.
I don't think the moon being in front of the mountains is too noticeable (or have you fixed it meanwhile?). Nevertheless, those reflections... my goodness, they look good! I suppose the stars are made with the projectile of a unit and a glow?
Moon might be a bit bright, I'll look into it. The stars are actually the utm star model each individually raised. The glow is as you said made from glow effects with a side of the fog doodad.

Status
Not open for further replies.