• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree?, unit training other units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello...

I've tried using the search and after an hour of searching through tons of topics I've found nothing. Tried looking through tutorials and such and found nothing :cry:

1) I'm making kind of a custom-melee game, and I want a unit to be the main unit builder (we'll call it "Mother")...

a) Mother has to be able to build/train custom units and still be able to move/attack while constructing(Right now I'm using a undead building for the base unit, made it able to move around like a normal unit aside from the anyoing rallypoint thing which I don't know how to remove, it can't move while producing.. -.-.

b) I want Mothership to make a basic vendor unit with items to sell (which can evolve for more items being available, also making it the place to drop off resources , so Mother can go fight) also btw.. I can't get my units to have inventories.. I've tried giving them "used techs-> backpacks" and had them already researched, but they still dont have inventories..

c)I want Mother to be able to "evolve" itself to a higher tech making it able to produce fighters , then again evolve itself to produce better fighters...

2) I want the goldmine to be playercontrolled, currently I'm using a custom hauntedgoldmine for that..

a)I want it to have the same ability to create units as the Mother does and be able to evolve itself for better fighters and such..

b) I made the haunted goldmine have the Art skin of a different building, but when I test the map it's just a normal haunted goldmine

c) I want the resource collecter to draw the resources from it w/o going inside it.. I'm wondering If I could edit the "gather resource gold" to having a range and changing the effect to like a red colored "lifesteal"

In advance, Thanks for reading this and posting any help you might have to offer, I tried making it easy to read and as descriptive of my problem as possible.

I'm hoping to do this without triggers and I dont see why I would need any for this, but at the moment I dont really know what I am doing... Once I get a decent basic version of this map going, I'll release it..

Last edited:
Level 40
You don't need to spend an hour on it, but thanks for searching first ;)

1)

A) Don't think this can be fixed

B) Part 1; what's wrong with it? Part 2; did you remember to add Inventory (whatever) to their abilities?

C) Upgrade into a different 'mother', or possibly just have an upgrade that when researched enables some new units and such.

2)

A) Upgrade into a different unit, again

B) Weird. I recall having this same problem. Just replace the haunted gold mine with another building upon construction.

C) Part 1; You can just set the time inside it to 0 Part 2;You could always do an ability for that.

Level 19
Idea about producing well make it lays eggs to ground let me explain
A unit cannot produce unit but it can sell units give mother eggs then click a egg to lay it egg is a building and it will upgrade to a unit AND if you cancel the upgrade egg will be destroyed its a good idea I think

Level 2
Thanks PurplePoot,
B) I gave them researched already All inventories for racials, and gave them "Used Techs" for the racial ugprades for inveotries but they still dont have inventories.. I'll have to have a look and see why I can't find a simple "add # inventory slots" ability...

2B) I'll try giving the ability a ranged feature and see how it works... Thanks
Mabye I'll just scrap the idea of the gold mining, and just make a building that produces trees and have lumber as the main resource

Need_O2 thanks that will work well enough I suppose, I'll probally want to add a trigger so that the egg stays on the Mother tho... Remembering from SC, to do this I'd make a location, make the location move always to the mother, and then make it so eggs move to the location, If I give the eggs 0 collision do you think it will make it hard for the player to select them... Idk... I'll try it and if it is hard to select, I'll add a trigger to make it autoselect it once its built

Level 19
Hey I have a better idea about unit producing
Hmm make a spell book make it unit ability and place units in it if you wont use mana set gold as mana if you will then put triggers for taking gold and gold check
Make different summoning abilities for each unit and dont forget to change cast string
give cooldowns and when you cast them they will all go into same cooldown with this way mother cannot produce multiple units at same time

Level 24
B) I gave them researched already All inventories for racials, and gave them "Used Techs" for the racial ugprades for inveotries but they still dont have inventories.. I'll have to have a look and see why I can't find a simple "add # inventory slots" ability...
There are four backpack abilities, each with four different upgrade requirements. You should be able to just remove the techtree requirement, which will make them work without needing any upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.