• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Team Arena Battles v1.1

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
I spent allot of time on this map and its actually my first proper attempt at a Warcraft 3 map. But that doesn't mean I'm not open to criticism. Please feel free to tell me all about how bad it is so that I can improve it.

Description:
This is essentially a Multilayer arena based map. There are fourteen heroes to choose from and four arenas thus far. At the start of each round Player One will be asked to select the settings for this round. After the first round he/she can skip this phase by using the already selected settings. The aim of the game is to defeat the team opposite you, simple as that. Teams of up to five players compete, Item shops are available for selection via the setup phase as well as the heroes level settings. This is a very basic game because that's what I intended it to be. I'm not married to any of the ideas though and I'm very open to change...

Content:
All content is Blizzard created, customized by me and tested by me. There are no custom models what so ever and the only thing that isn't of my own design are some concepts I took from the Warchasers map.

Story Line:
"In this world, cunning souls from all across the land must prove their worth by competing in grand Arena Battles. Using the bodies of Ancient Heroes these cunning souls fight against one another for power, fame, glory and the sheer fun of it."

General Notes:
- The map hasn't been extensively tested by anyone other than myself.
- There must be someone playing as Player1 (Red) to navigate the option menu's.
- I plan to update the map over time, obviously!
- Constructive criticism needed and appreciated.

Keywords:
warcraft, arena, battle, heroes, team, unstable, classes, v1.0
Contents

Team Arena Battles v1.1 (Map)

Reviews
11:59, 24th May 2009 by bounty hunter2: Bad terrain, regular heroes, regular spells, no quest log, unoriginal, boring gameplay, Rejected. Use our Map Development forum for further development of your map, this is nowhere near approval.

M

11:59, 24th May 2009 by bounty hunter2:
Bad terrain, regular heroes, regular spells, no quest log, unoriginal, boring gameplay, Rejected.

Use our Map Development forum for further development of your map, this is nowhere near approval.

Level 31
1) Terrain - The terrain isn't that bad, but it isn't that good either. A symmetry terrain are easy to be make, but they could be nicer if you know what to do. The arena terrain of upper left and right of this map could be better.

As for the arena at bottom of the map, the forest arena seems to be ok. But try add some scrub and adjust the height of the terrain. Right now the terrain look too smooth for a forest, making it look unnatural at all.

For the arena at bottom right, the same applies as well. Try adjust the height, to know exactly what was missing. Try to view some forest terrain at Terrain Board of our forums.

2) Description at site - The description seems to be ok, but could be better. Try provide screenshot, tell us what makes this arena interesting and so on. From what I seen at your map description, it seems like you only tell us there is 14 hero, 4 arena and 2 team. That's all.

3) Scripting/Triggering - The scripting isn't that good and certainly need to be improve. A lot of it could be optimize for better performance and some of it have the tendency of creating memory leak, since this was a multiplayer map. It was rather a bad idea to have a memory leak.

1 of the example of trigger that could be optimize was this.

• Team1 Kills
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Dies
    • Conditions
      • Or - Any (Conditions) are true
        • Conditions
          • (Triggering unit) Equal to Player6
          • (Triggering unit) Equal to Player7
          • (Triggering unit) Equal to Player8
          • (Triggering unit) Equal to Player9
          • (Triggering unit) Equal to Player10
    • Actions
      • Set Team1Kills = (Team1Kills + 1)
      • Multiboard - Set the text for (Last created multiboard) item in column 2, row 2 to (String(Team1Kills))
  • Team2 Kills
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Dies
    • Conditions
      • Or - Any (Conditions) are true
        • Conditions
          • (Triggering unit) Equal to Player1
          • (Triggering unit) Equal to Player2
          • (Triggering unit) Equal to Player3
          • (Triggering unit) Equal to Player4
          • (Triggering unit) Equal to Player5
    • Actions
      • Set Team2Kills = (Team2Kills + 1)
      • Multiboard - Set the text for (Last created multiboard) item in column 2, row 3 to (String(Team2Kills))
You could easily set it into 1 trigger like this since there is no neutral hostile.

• Team Kill
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Dies
    • Conditions
      • ((Triggering unit) is A Hero) Equal to True
    • Actions
      • Player Group - Pick every player in (All allies of Player 1 (Red)) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • (Owner of (Triggering unit)) Equal to (Picked player)
            • Then - Actions
              • Set Team2Kills = (Team2Kills + 1)
              • Multiboard - Set the text for (Last created multiboard) item in column 2, row 3 to (String(Team2Kills))
            • Else - Actions
              • Set Team1Kills = (Team1Kills + 1)
              • Multiboard - Set the text for (Last created multiboard) item in column 2, row 2 to (String(Team1Kills))
See? Simple and yet efficient.

4) Grammar/Spelling - I would not said anything regarding grammar since my english ain't that fluent. But, there is a lot of typo error that are rather obvious such as this typo error I found at the map loading screen.

Ceated by Unstable.
Player1 (Red) selects the rules.

5) Bug/Error - A lot of hotkey error. They either do not work or clash with one another.

6) Fun/Replayability - I test this at multiplayer and many people doesn't have the joy of playing it.

Considering that there is nothing interesting at all, the ability was using the basic ability of warcraft 3 with a alteration of the name, description and damage.

Lack of interesting item, feature and many more. To make it worst, the hotkey error doesn't help either. Some user cast a wrong ability just because a hotkey clash with another ability hotkey, causing it to dies and resulted into him leaving the game.

With many lacking feature and error, this resulted into the player leaving the game after 4 minutes of gameplay. I try to host it 4 times and this is the result I get, usually with the game started with approximate 6 player only (3 at each team).

This map condition was currently between rating 2 (Lacking) and rating 3(Useful). Based on the scripting condition, replayability and those minor error, I decided to vote it 2/5.

Is it approvable? In my opinion, it would likely to be leave at pending stage based on the current condition. If you want it to be approve, fix what had been told.

Level 2
Thank you, I didn't realize there was so much I needed to fix. I'll go through it again and fix what I can. My biggest problem will be the triggers since I just used logic to make pretty much all of them. I had no idea what I was doing with any of the triggers I just kind of made them and tested to see if they worked. I'll try to shorten them and make them more simplistic though.

Again thank you, I'll do my best to improve.