• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Swamp Falls

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Swamp Fall
=Important info=
  • Goldmines: amount 4
  • Other buildings
    • Waygates: amount 4
    • Fountain of Health: amount 1
    • Goblin Merchant: amount 2
  • Easy creep camps: amount 5
  • Medium creep camps: amount 11
  • Hard creep camps: amount 2
  • Tileset: Ashenvale

=Map Description=
A melee map staged from the precipice of the forest to the swamps at the ends of the cliffs. The landscape is overgrown with the trees of the forest and also the creeps. The waygates allow quick, dangerous, passage from the top right to the bottom left corners, allowing for a more eventful mid-game.

=Tactics=
A large portion of the game is controlling the waygates, because they are vital to having an expansion, if you are not planning on some sort of rush, the main goal should be to keep your opponent pinned in and deny the expansion by using the waygates effectively.

Top View:
topview.png

Map Update Version .1
  • Fixes:
    • Orcnet said:
      I can pass to some of the mountains I move into try blocking it with some more pathing blockers
      Fixed, I think xD
    • Orcnet said:
      "Waygate" buildings doesn't have any creep camps
      Wasn't sure I wanted creeps on both sides, a lot of creeps for a 2 player map, but I added them.
  • Thought About:
    • MrStormyZ said:
      I would say having more in the starting ones will be better
      Decided against it, mainly because it was a 2 player map and I wanted to have an expansion to be necessary; more gold in the main base would encourage going for 1 base builds.
  • Not Happening:
    • Orcnet said:
      try making it smaller a bit
      The waygate system is designed to make the map smaller as they are opened up to more free movement by killing the central creeps, and the expansions are taking; with the development of each players expansion base the front of the battlefield should be shifted to that area, because it is so close by, thanks to waygates, and the deciding factor of the game will be who can hold their expo.

=Credits=
  • Eldubs
    • For the awesome description template
  • DarkLord
    • For Tool Terrain 1.0

Keywords:
melee, swamp, falls
Contents

Swamp Falls (Map)

Reviews
08:17, 9th Mar 2011 -Kobas-: Status: Rejected Map isn't balanced well (Check creep camps). Also Trees have 150 hp >> gold mines (standard amount of gold). Hydra can drop 3 items at once.

M

08:17, 9th Mar 2011
-Kobas-:
Map isn't balanced well (Check creep camps). Also Trees have 150 hp >> gold mines (standard amount of gold). Hydra can drop 3 items at once.

Level 9
downloaded, good map there
Creep spots are in good number, nice waygate placement
The bases seem Flat I would recommend raising/lowering a bit of that
4/5 +rep have fun ^^

one little quest I wanted to ask for my personal terraining
how did you get those cliff like straight Raised things beside the Water falls ?

EDIT : all gold mines have default amount of gold, I would say having more in the starting ones will be better (least that's how I saw it in Blizzard's Melee maps)

Level 10
all gold mines have default amount of gold, I would say having more in the starting ones will be better (least that's how I saw it in Blizzard's Melee maps)
sounds like something I should fix +rep ;)

blizzard melee considering system doesn't consider this map as melee (trees i guess?)
custom scaling and tinting on doodads made it not melee D:
but that shouldn't be a problem to just enjoy the map with friends ;)

one little quest I wanted to ask for my personal terraining
how did you get those cliff like straight Raised things beside the Water falls ?
Used a height map and the terrain 1.0 tool, also thats how I kept it symmetrical, tools make it easy :3

Level 30
Map Review

Communityportal.png
storywritingart.gif
made by XPQJ. this intriguing melee map known as the "Swamp Falls" is one of the another warcraft III map for everyone to play and use.

Swamp Falls (No Version/s Stated)

Rating
NumberPercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
5/591-100A

Rating
NumberPercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
4/581-90%B

Rating
NumberPercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
3/575-80%C

Rating
NumberPercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
2/570-74%D

Rating
NumberPercentLetter
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
1/550-69%F

General:

Gameplay-[5/5]
Note: Were I pronounce your game challenging or a waste of time.

Playability-[5/5]
Note: This part tells me if the game is rather fun and can be played again and again.

Terrain-[5/5]
Note: Were I tell your game's environmental display is either great or terrible.

Managing-[5/5]
Note: This is were I explain the output or outcome quality of the game.

Bug/s
Note: No score, just to tell your map has bugs on it or simply bug-free.

Overall-[20/20]

About My Reputations:

reputation_pos.gif
My complements for the Maker/s of the map's game.

reputation_neg.gif
Were I explain your map needs to get fix or make an improvement of your work.

Gameplay

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif

reputation_pos.gif
The Game was fun! like an ordinary melee map but some changes with the landscapes and all, nothing bad and negative to say for this section.

Playability

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

reputation_neg.gif
Likewise with the "Gameplay" section, its a good melee map but there is one thing I notice, its too large, try making it smaller a bit, only my opinion and its for you to decide.

Terrain

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

reputation_neg.gif
The Terrain went well, I like the fact you don't use cliffs since its so 2002 like, but there is something wrong, I can pass to some of the mountains I move into(can't spot the pinpoints due to a large expansion), try blocking it with some more pathing blockers for my suggestion.

Managing

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

reputation_neg.gif
your firm managing is good, although a little more of this and that and everything will go well, I mean "Waygate" buildings doesn't have any creep camps while rune drops are normally spotted and I like that, just do some more good changes and everything will be fine.

Bug/s

No Bugs, No Worry!

Rating
NumberPercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
16/2090%B

Great!
194715-albums4489-picture43675.gif

Hope you can do better than before, Goodluck!
happy map-making!

Level 10
no problem
and Thanks ^^ was wondering about it as I never came through any such tools in the WE

Cliff limits without using any tools ;)

Things you need

Steps
  1. Close World Editor if open
  2. Open your Warcraft III directory (C:/Program Files/Warcraft III/)
  3. Backup War3x.mpq (copy it and paste it somewhere)
  4. Open your MPQ editor and open up the archive War3x.mpq in your Warcraft folder, not the backup, and use the "Native Listfile".
  5. You will see a bunch of folders come up, left click on the one titled "UI."
  6. Look over in the main window of the MPQ editor, and you will see a file titled "MiscData.txt," right click it and select "Export File".
  7. Save it somewhere and open it with your text editor, then find
    [Terrain] / / terrain parameters / / Maximum slope in degrees, (86 + will disable slope limits) MaxSlope = 50
    Change the "MaxSlope = 50" to "MaxSlope = 90."
  8. Save text file and go back to the MPQ Editor and delete the MiscData.txt in there, then right click on the side with all the files, not folders, then left click the option "Add file(s)" and browse for your MiscData.txt and import it.
  9. Do Final Step

Another Limit Thats Good to Remove

The height limit of World Editor can be very annoying when making large buildings or many floors of terrain like in this map so to change the Height Limit do these steps.
  4. Open your MPQ editor and open up the archive War3x.mpq in your Warcraft folder, not the backup, and use the "Native Listfile".
  6. Look over in the main window of the MPQ editor, and you will see a file titled "MiscData.txt," right click it and select "Export File".
    // Global height limits
    // 0 = low ground, each cliff level = 128
    MaxHeight=1536
    MinHeight=-128
    Change the values accordingly going up shouldn't be a problem because you already got 12 levels to work with but going down is a nice thing to adjust, make sure its a multiple of 128
  8. Save text file and go back to the MPQ Editor and delete the MiscData.txt in there, then right click on the side with all the files, not folders, then left click the option "Add file(s)" and browse for your MiscData.txt and import it.
  9. Do Final Step

Final Step
  • Repeat entire process using War3.mpq

Files to Read

If you are looking for more limits to break here are some files you might want to look at, there is some comments on what the values do in the text files.
  • "WorldEditorData.txt"

Maybe I should make a tutorial haha.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Map Update
  • Fixes:
    • Orcnet said:
      I can pass to some of the mountains I move into try blocking it with some more pathing blockers
      Fixed, I think xD
    • Orcnet said:
      "Waygate" buildings doesn't have any creep camps
      Wasn't sure I wanted creeps on both sides, a lot of creeps for a 2 player map, but I added them.
  • Thought About:
    • MrStormyZ said:
      I would say having more in the starting ones will be better
      Decided against it, mainly because it was a 2 player map and I wanted to have an expansion to be necessary; more gold in the main base would encourage going for 1 base builds.
  • Not Happening:
    • Orcnet said:
      try making it smaller a bit
      The waygate system is designed to make the map smaller as they are opened up to more free movement by killing the central creeps, and the expansions are taking; with the development of each players expansion base the front of the battlefield should be shifted to that area, because it is so close by, thanks to waygates, and the deciding factor of the game will be who can hold their expo.

Epic post much?

Last edited:
Level 9

Cliff limits without using any tools ;)

Things you need

Steps
    Change the "MaxSlope = 50" to "MaxSlope = 90."
  9. Do Final Step

Another Limit Thats Good to Remove

The height limit of World Editor can be very annoying when making large buildings or many floors of terrain like in this map so to change the Height Limit do these steps.

Change the values accordingly going up shouldn't be a problem because you already got 12 levels to work with but going down is a nice thing to adjust, make sure its a multiple of 128
  9. Do Final Step

Final Step
  • Repeat entire process using War3.mpq

Files to Read

If you are looking for more limits to break here are some files you might want to look at, there is some comments on what the values do in the text files.
  • "WorldEditorData.txt"

Maybe I should make a tutorial haha.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Map Update
  • Fixes:
    • Fixed, I think xD
    • Wasn't sure I wanted creeps on both sides, a lot of creeps for a 2 player map, but I added them.
  • Thought About:
    • Decided against it, mainly because it was a 2 player map and I wanted to have an expansion to be necessary; more gold in the main base would encourage going for 1 base builds.
  • Not Happening:
    • The waygate system is designed to make the map smaller as they are opened up to more free movement by killing the central creeps, and the expansions are taking; with the development of each players expansion base the front of the battlefield should be shifted to that area, because it is so close by, thanks to waygates, and the deciding factor of the game will be who can hold their expo.

Epic post much?

wow thanks ^^:grin: