• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

SubStrings and Strings and whatnot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I'm a little confused on how to work this, so if someone could explain it to me, it would be really helpful. I figured out how to get "-setname" working as a substring, but I can't figure out how to do anything with following String, can anyone help me with this?

Sorry if I didn't explain this so well. :?

Level 6
greenbaron said:
but I can't figure out how to do anything with following String, can anyone help me with this?

what do you mean with that? please specify your problem a bit. only saying tell me about strings is a bit rare... what is 'anything'? :?

Level 2
I want to do things like "-setname 01 (player number) MYNAMEHERE" and have it change the player name to "MYNAMEHERE." That a good enough explanation?

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Actually you didn't explain very well, but I guess your trying to make a setname system like in DoBRP.

Requirements (you must have this first):

-Two variables of type String. Name it OneName1 and Name02 (for example). Enable Array and set it to 8.

This should do it:

Events:

Player - Player 1(Red) types a chat message containing setname as A substring
Player - Player 2(Blue) types a chat message containing setname as A substring
Player - Player 3(Teal) types a chat message containing setname as A substring
(Do this for all players)

Conditions:

String Comparison: (Substring((Entered chat string), 1, 8 )) Equal to setname>

Actions:

Set Variable: Set Name02[(Player number of (Triggering player))] = ((OneName1[(Player number of (Triggering player))] + (Substring((Entered chat string), 9, 119))) + |r)

I hope you can find all the stuff when making Actions. Good Luck.:wink:

-Rui

Level 6
greenbaron said:
I want to do things like "-setname 01 (player number) MYNAMEHERE" and have it change the player name to "MYNAMEHERE." That a good enough explanation?

well then you quest is answered by rui :D

Level 2
Well, I sort of made the trigger, though I'd appreciate it if you'd explain what the two numbers after subtring are supposed to do.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I don't know how to explain that very well but I guess this explenation does it: the 1-8 detects the number of letters you write.

s-e-t-n-a-m-e->
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8

subtring 1 - 8

This means that only the setname isn't stored.

The ones at the end,

The number 9, is to prevent the trigger to store the setname>, otherwise when you typed for example -hi, the name (for example) John: Hi wouldn't appear. It would show up like this setname>John: Hi.
For the number 119, I belive that it's the limit of letters you can write when playing in-game.

Substrings are easy to understand if you master them.

-Rui

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Your welcome, I figured out how to make most things of DoBRP myself. In fact, I kind of guessed what that Substrings meant by myself, but just thinking like this. If the 8 first letters is setname>, then a subtring might work on this :p. It's a long story =P

-Rui

Level 6
Rui said:
The ones at the end,

The number 9, is to prevent the trigger to store the setname>, otherwise when you typed for example -hi, the name (for example) John: Hi wouldn't appear. It would show up like this setname>John: Hi.
For the number 119, I belive that it's the limit of letters you can write when playing in-game.

correct, but instead of 119 you can use string length of (entered chat string). so you get the exact word without " " space.

Status
Not open for further replies.