• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Structure 12 races in object editor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Some1 got a nice tip on how to keep lots of races organised in object editor, i got 12 teams which are different "races", they are all located in custom object list, only thing that's differing between teams are if they are considered, human, orc, undead or night elf. But for an example i will get 3-5 races in human list where atm i only have 1 race, but when all races are done it will be a nice mess. So if some1 got an idea on how to organise? or do i have to just realise i have to keep it like this.

Level 21
Race 1: Human
Race 2: Human (campaign)
Race 3: Orc
Race 4: Orc (campaign)
Race 5: Undeath
Race 6: Undeath (campaign)
Race 7: Night Elf
Race 8: Night Elf (campaign)
Race 9: Neutral Naga
Race 10: Neutral Naga (campaign)
Race 11: Neutral Hostile
Race 12: Neutral Hostile (campaign)

Level 6
There's only a suffix and it won't help for changing the alphabetical order. However, you may add it in order to differ between the races.

would you recommend me to use this? If i say my standard number of units and buildings is units: 15 and buldings: 10. Is it useful then?

EDIT:
Somehow. You can also add '(Editor Prefix)' Which only shows up in the editor. There you can write the race.

mehem?

And sry for doublepost, i'm a bad person cause i acted then looked xD

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 7
Eleandor is dead on the line organize them as

Race 1: Human
Race 2: Human (campaign)
Race 3: Orc
Race 4: Orc (campaign)
Race 5: Undeath
Race 6: Undeath (campaign)
Race 7: Night Elf
Race 8: Night Elf (campaign)
Race 9: Neutral Naga
Race 10: Neutral Naga (campaign)
Race 11: Neutral Hostile
Race 12: Neutral Hostile (campaign)
Race 13: Neutral Passive
Race 14: Neutral Passive (campaign)

Or In extreme cases uses the custom folders as well
Race 15: Human
Race 16: Human (campaign)
Race 17: Orc
Race 18: Orc (campaign)
Race 19: Undeath
Race 20: Undeath (campaign)
Race 21: Night Elf
Race 22: Night Elf (campaign)
Race 23: Neutral Naga
Race 24: Neutral Naga (campaign)
Race 25: Neutral Hostile
Race 26: Neutral Hostile (campaign)
Race 27: Neutral Passive
Race 28: Neutral Passive (campaign)

Suffixs do help but I find it a more efficient system to organized them into folders. Be careful if you have a hero in a campaign folder it will uses its name not title. (ex. Grom Hellscream instead of Blademaster)

Level 6
Make use of the special categorization.

Human Race subdivided into Human (Men) faction and Dwarven faction:

Attachments

• ex.JPG
    ex.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 139
Level 2
For sorting the units inside their folders:

If you extract the UnitMetaData.slk file from War3patch.MPQ (use War3Model Editor found on this site or there won't be an appropriate listfie) to "<Install Directory>\Units\" and add the following line to the end of the file, you will get the field that the World Editor uses to sort units.

ucls unitClass UnitUI -1 editor Sort String (Reload Object Data module to take effect) string 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 0

You will end up with a field inside every Unit/Building/Hero labeled "Editor - Sort String (...)" with a value such as "HUnit01" (meaning Human Unit 01). If you alphabetize this field on all your units they will show up in this order the next time you refresh the Object Module. To refresh, either run the Sort Object By Name command twice, change to another map and back or close and reopen the map.

I did this myself after getting overwhelmed with my ridiculous number of race and unit edits and needing to keep track of where they all are.

Note: if you get a yellow error in the bottom of the world editor main screen saying unknown field Type, then you need to change the type field's slk reference from UnitBalance to UnitData inside the UnitMetaData.slk file. The change occurred between patches and older copies try to reference the wrong thing.

Level 2
On a different note, I would LOVE it if someone could figure out where the World Editor is getting it's race list for the folders in the tree from so that I can find a way to edit it in the files and add/remove races so that it can all be in it's own folders without having to use a different races folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.