• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Custom Race- More than 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
Hi guys, i have been referring to the guides on hiveworkshop and thehelper as to making custom races. I am currently making my campaign, which will need the use of 4 races. Unfortunately, from everything i have read, i need to base them off one of the four races even if i use different models and units ect. From what i have heard i need to base them off the 4 races of warcraft 3 in the object editor. I have tried to add units via the object editor and it is true that i seem to be unable to make my own race, just add custom units within one of the 4 races. The problem i am having is, i do not want to base one of my 4 races on undead, but then i only have 3 races left. I realize this might seem like a stupid quest but i was just wondering if there is anyway around this.

Thanks for your time!

Level 25
You only need to base them off the original races if you want the original AI.
For custom units that you want the computer to use, you're allowed to create custom units and then you have to use the AI editor if you want the computer to be able to use them.

If you don't care about the computer having AI, then just create custom units.

Level 23
You only need to base them off the original races if you want the original AI.
For custom units that you want the computer to use, you're allowed to create custom units and then you have to use the AI editor if you want the computer to be able to use them.

If you don't care about the computer having AI, then just create custom units.
Hi, well i mean for my campaign i want a computer to control them but its just for campaign levels, not like a fulll new race for melee. When i go to the obejct editor and start making custom units, the cateory that is added is pink in colour, and it still only makes them in the 4 races category, human N-elf, undead and orc. So if i am trying to make a custom race, i cannot make a new "category" if you know what i mean.

upload_2017-8-27_3-59-46.png

Level 25
If you're making a campaign I STRONGLY recommend you use the campaign editor's object editor.
Or you're going to have a pain moving over object data on every level.

Pink color means that they're custom, nothing to worry about.
You can add them to the original Barracks if you want, but what I'm saying is that if you want the AI to use them, you're going to have to use the AI editor.
Here is a tutorial for it:
AI Editor
But no, you cannot create new categories, you'll have to use the ones you already have.

Level 23
If you're making a campaign I STRONGLY recommend you use the campaign editor's object editor.

You can add them to the original Barracks if you want, but what I'm saying is that if you want the AI to use them, you're going to have to use the AI editor.
AI Editor
But no, you cannot create new categories, you'll have to use the ones you already have.
HI LordDz,

I understand your point about using the campaign editor and the point about the AI. My issue though,(i am sure it is really simple i just cannot grasp it), is that there are not enough categoies because im adding too many custom races to the campaign.

Level 25
Say you have your campaign.. and your player in it only plays 1 race.
Then what does it matter what category the other units have for the other races?

If the player will not control and create units of all the other races, then it's totally ok to have a human in the night elf category.

If you want to organize a bit, you can split units into normal units and campaign units.

Last edited:
Level 11
Unit race has several effects. Worker building type is the most known, but also Death Coil will heal units under the Demon race and Holy Light will harm them. You'll note an infernal is not undead, yet death coil will heal one summoned by a dreadlord. This is entirely because its race is set to demon. There are probably several other instances like this I'm forgetting.

Anywho, yes, it's impossible to set more categories. I'd suggest leaving all the originals as-is, since you're still using them and don't want to accidentally change any behavior, and just accept that your new stuff will be alongside the units/abilities/etc of the old races. As mentioned you can use the "campaign" and "special" flags to organize a little better.

Level 23

AI Editor

Hello, sorry for getting back late. I have been working on my custom races and just had 2 quick questions. One is in reference to this post. I am trying to make the campaign 2player, which means i would not be able to just put the data into the campaign editor's object editor, as i will have to have 8+ different maps. So, what i would like to know is in order to avoid copying all the object data to each individual map, is it possible for for me to just finish all the custom race data on my world editor, then (save-as) onto 8 different files, and would this mean i do not need to copy the data over as i have saved it into 8 different maps and then i can start doing the individual terrain and triggers on each?

Secondly, i was wondering, when you were discussing the AI editor, if i use the same unit (e.g a footman) as the base unit for 2 different custom units,will this create a problem when i start using the AI editor such as will the rawcode of the two units be the exact same, and i will not be able to give the AI commands concerning these two units because they share the same original unit despite new models and spells?

And finally, because i have been working on the map for the past 3 weeks, i have noticed that the import manager has an insane amount of files due to the models and skins and icons for everything, and was wondering if there is a way for me to organize the import manager, or is there no way to do this.

Sorry for the many questions, many of my other questions i can test out myself by working with the editor but these 3 i am not sure how to discover the answers myself.

Thanks!

Level 25
1) No in that case you need to copy the object data from one map to the other, you do this easily with the "Import ALL object data" so as long as you use the newest object data when creating objects and saving them, overwriting the old data in the other maps shouldn't be a problem.

2) No it doesn't matter what base unit you base the unit on, the AI editor doesn't care nor does the game.

3) You can organize the models in the import editor, they don't care which path they have, so say for all human models you could set their path to be Human/modelname.mdl
magical effects to be Magic/spelleffect1, etc
The textures and icons will have to remain with their old names however.

Level 23
Hi LordDz,
I understand your points in regards to the 2nd and 3rd point, but i am confused why you would say me compiling everything onto one map and then save-as into 10+ different files will not work. I mean, whenever i save my work on my world editor, the data is still transferred over in terms of object data and the bathing for the model and skin files. Can i ask why exactly my method of avoiding transferring object data is incorrect?

Thanks for your time

Level 25
Save all the OBJECT DATA into one file which you then in the object editor use the "Import ALL object data".
That action replaces all current object data.

So if you have different object data on each map, it's going to be very annoying in the end, with you having to manually copy things over from 1 map to the other.

upload_2017-9-14_8-9-56.png

But if it works for you, just do what you're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.