• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Storm The Castle V 2.6

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Visit Clan HoA at Northrend(europe) map making clan

Storm the Castle V2.7

-I Added That Wierd Little Shop To Buy Tauren Mortars
-You Cant Mass Spawn Hero's Any more

Storyline: You are three lords rebelling the new kings order but u must hurry and destroy the base because the kings reinforcements arrive soon

Keywords:
Castle
Contents

Storm The Castle V 2.6 (Map)

Reviews
09:35, 7th Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Rejected
Level 3
I don't understand, we can produce 1 hero with around 2000 damage in 3 seconds, so where is this fair? And no tooltips..And a ton of arthass :D Btw, this is V2.6 already? :S

Level 2
Sorry about it all im an amatuer map maker this is my FIRST MAP and yes i know i suck at terrain and triggors but im always working on the map and i would be glad to get more tips

ill fix that like This: Max Food 100 Hero Food Cost 100

well i wasent placing the stuff senseless it was supposed to be a town

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 4
You should make the hero add no food.
And I know it's possible.
I remember messing around with stats too :)

Level 28
Newb Guide - Introduction

Hay... I just finished my Newb Guide Template and I was thinking you were the perfect candidate to show it to for the first time...
I hope you're not offended by this: A newb isn't the same as a noob and you're obviously not advanced at mapping (yet).

Tell me what you think of it, what can be improved/added and whether it helped or not :)
Also, if something is not clear (or is hard to read), say so! This is meant to be easy to understand (although you will need to read multiple tutorials for it).

Newb Guide Template

Triggering (GUI)

Basics

One of the first things you need to know is how to fix leaks, though I will go over something else first.
Variables.

You will need variables in every map you make, the only exceptions are melee-maps.
Variables are needed to count kills, remember heroes, fix leaks, basically everything that you need to recall.

The variable editor can be opened by pressing CTRL + B inside the trigger editor (or by pressing the yellow 'X' on top of the screen).
Now you can create variables by pressing the green 'X'-button, after that you can create any variable you wish.
Variables you will need in every map are:
Point variable (name doesn't matter) with an array
Group variable without array
Player Group variable without array
(these are to fix leaks)

Leaks cause lag and can crash your maps, so it's important to fix them.

For information on what leaks, check This tutorial
I would suggest reading this tutorial completely, you will get used to fixing them after a while.

Efficient Triggering

If you have triggers like:

• Melee Initialization
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit - Create 1 Footman for Player 1 (Red) at (Player 1 (Red) start location) facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Create 1 Footman for Player 2 (Blue) at (Player 2 (Blue) start location) facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Create 1 Footman for Player 3 (Teal) at (Player 3 (Teal) start location) facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Create 1 Footman for Player 4 (Purple) at (Player 4 (Purple) start location) facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Create 1 Footman for Player 5 (Yellow) at (Player 5 (Yellow) start location) facing Default building facing degrees
Then you are doing something terribly wrong...
The better option would be:

• Melee Initialization
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 5, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set loc[1] = ((Player((Integer A))) start location)
          • Unit - Create 1 Footman for (Player((Integer A))) at loc[1] facing Default building facing degrees
          • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_loc[1])
Where "loc" is a point variable with array.
This does exactly the same, but the difference is that this is easier and it does not create lag (the other trigger does).

For Each Integer X info: this action will set integer X (can be any integer) from the starting value (in this case 1) to the end value (5).
Every time the integer increases, it will trigger the actions in it, so this trigger will activate 5 times, but every time it does something slightly different.
In more general terms, they're called "loops".

As you can see, loops are very useful for efficiency, but there is more...
The If/Then/Else-function is also very useful when talking about efficiency.

I will explain this with dialogs (if you do not know what dialogs are, or how to form them, Check this tutorial.
Note: the tutorial given above is not efficient, I will do it otherwise - the tutorial is just to show what it is and how it's formed!

I will skip the dialog init trigger and just go straight to the dialog buttons trigger.
Let's just say the dialog is a hero-choose dialog with 3 buttons (Ranger, Warrior, Mage).

• Dialog Buttons
    • Events
      • Dialog - A dialog button is clicked for Dialog
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Clicked dialog button) Equal to DialogButton[1]
        • Then - Actions
          • Set loc[1] = (Center of (Playable map area))
          • Unit - Create 1 Ranger for (Triggering player) at loc[1] facing Default building facing degrees
          • Game - Display to (All players) for 8.00 seconds the text: (|c00444488 + ((Name of (Triggering player)) + '|r has chosen the Ranger))
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Clicked dialog button) Equal to DialogButton[2]
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Create 1 Warrior for (Triggering player) at loc[1] facing Default building facing degrees
          • Game - Display to (All players) for 8.00 seconds the text: (|c00444488 + ((Name of (Triggering player)) + '|r has chosen the Warrior))
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Clicked dialog button) Equal to DialogButton[3]
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Create 1 Mage for (Triggering player) at loc[1] facing Default building facing degrees
          • Game - Display to (All players) for 8.00 seconds the text: (|c00444488 + ((Name of (Triggering player)) + '|r has chosen the Mage))
        • Else - Actions
As you can see, I can combine all dialog buttons for all dialogs into 1 trigger, making it a lot easier to scroll through the triggers...
(Triggering Player is the player clicking the dialog).

Kick-triggers are often done like this by newbs:

• Kick
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing -kick blue as An exact match
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Game - Defeat Player 2 (Blue) with the message: LOLOL NOOB!!!!
  • Kick
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing -kick teal as An exact match
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Game - Defeat Player 3 (Teal) with the message: LOLOL NOOB!!!!
  • Kick
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing -kick purple as An exact match
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Game - Defeat Player 4 (Purple) with the message: LOLOL NOOB!!!!
And this for every player...

As you can see, there are 2 mistakes:
  1. You will need a lot of stupid triggers for this
  2. "LOLOL NOOB!!!!" makes the map look like crap

I prefer one of these methods:

• Init
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set Color[1] = blue
      • Set Color[2] = teal
      • Set Color[3] = purple
      • Set Color[4] = yellow
      • Set Color[5] = orange
      • Set Color[6] = green
This sets up the colors... obviously (it's best to merge this with an already existing map init trigger)

• Kick
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing -kick as A substring
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • For each (Integer i) from 1 to 6, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (Entered chat string) Equal to (-kick + Color[i])
            • Then - Actions
              • Game - Defeat (Player((i + 1))) with the message: You have been kicked
              • Game - Display to (All players) for 7.00 seconds the text: (|c00444488 + ((Name of (Player((i + 1)))) + |r has been kicked))
            • Else - Actions
And this is the kick-trigger, if the message is -kick + (color defined in map init), then the player matching that color will be kicked.
Easy and efficient...

This method is even easier, but a bit different: red will have to say -kick X (where X is a number)
  • Kick
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing -kick as A substring
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • For each (Integer i) from 1 to 6, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (Entered chat string) Equal to (-kick + (String((i + 1))))
            • Then - Actions
              • Game - Defeat (Player((i + 1))) with the message: You have been kicked
              • Game - Display to (All players) for 7.00 seconds the text: (|c00444488 + ((Name of (Player((i + 1)))) + |r has been kicked))
            • Else - Actions
That's it... the entire kick-trigger, that's easy, right?

Objects

Units

I shall start with perhaps the most annoying thing: tooltips and hotkeys.
If your tooltips/hotkeys are insufficient or wrong, the game won't progress smooth.
A good tooltips contains all necessary information without it being too long, TD's are the best example: those hotkeys really need Damage, Attack Speed, Range, Abilties (and additionally DPS, Ground/Air).
Tooltips are meant to provide information, not te be a part of the story/lore!.

Hotkeys should be easy to use and to remember.
In my TD, I have used:
E - R - T - Y - U - - - P
D - F - G
C - V - B

This is the same on both QWERTY and AZERTY!
The main block (left) is used to build towers, Y is for spells, U is for upgrades and P is to Sell towers (the other side of the keyboard).
Randomly using hotkeys is better than nothing at all, as long as they do not override eachother and they must be correct.

Important: use structure!
Put all units that belong together in the same race (e.g.: all heroes in human, all creeps in orc, all neutrals in Night Elf, ...).
If you ever need to change an object, you'll know exactly where to find it, this will save a lot of time (believe me... it will).

Spells/Buffs

About the same as units: the tooltip and hotkeys are important for the spells.

Do not use standard spells in a custom map! Change them as much as possible - or just so it fits in the map!

When you change the name of a spell, change the name of the buff as well!
e.g.: If you cast 'Ghost Form' (based of Wind Walk) and the buff says "Wind Walk: This unit is..." - that's just painful.

Terrain

Basic Info

Do not abuse the cliffs, WEU and JNGP have a better terrain-tool so you can use the terrain height-tool to make cliffs.
(Note: only use WEU for terraining purposes)
Use the terrain height tool a lot... a flat terrain sucks (don't overdo it, when you notice you're overdoing it, use the smooth tool).

When creating cities, make it look like a city...
A city is not a place where houses have been randomly placed, nor does it contain any other random props... a city is structured, thus you must also do so.

Doodads

Spammed cinematic doodads do not look good, avoid using them.

Use environmental doodads and don't be afraid to use too many of them... they're meant to be used more than other doodads.
When creating a forest, you will really need to use a lot of them: shrubs, rocks, fallen trees. hollow tree trunks, flowers, ... all of these are very common in forests, then why not use them in a forest in warcraft?

Description

A description is highly important, it will attract people to play your map and bad descriptions make the creator of the map look like a beginner.
To learn more about this, read my tutorial about it.