• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Stopping Unit Combat Assist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
This is a weird topic, I don't think I've seen many people look into it.

So, basically there is a function in Warcraft 3 that compels nearby units to attack something that is attacking a friendly unit, outside of the acquisition range.
attachment.php

This object field dictates how close someone needs to be before the unit will start to attack them automatically.

Here is a diagram

attachment.php

The red zone indicates at what point they will start attacking other units.

But in this exact diagram, the troll on the left will start attacking the hero after the first troll on the right has attacked has started to attack.

attachment.php

After some testing this is an estimation, no matter how I change the acquisition range or any other type of range/sight distance, the left troll always seems to help is fellow troll. This does create some annoying situations when I'm trying to create some smaller areas in an RPG styled environment.

Does anyone know how I could artificially create this acquisition effect OR how to turn off the combat assist on units?

Attachments

• Aquisition range.PNG
    Aquisition range.PNG
    89.3 KB · Views: 192
  • Acquisitian Range Diagram.PNG
    Acquisitian Range Diagram.PNG
    2.2 MB · Views: 179
  • Acquisitian Range Diagram2.PNG
    Acquisitian Range Diagram2.PNG
    2.1 MB · Views: 179
Level 23
It most definately is because of this value in gameplay constants:

Combat - Call for help range, creeps

defaults to 600, which is roughly equivalent to what you drew, and so the troll in the middle shits his pants and calls for aid, and since the troll is closer(presumably), he will come to help.

edit: I tested this same setup, and the creep did not come for help(since he is quite considerably outside of the range), so something is setup on your map probably

Level 11
It most definately is because of this value in gameplay constants:

Combat - Call for help range, creeps

defaults to 600, which is roughly equivalent to what you drew, and so the troll in the middle shits his pants and calls for aid, and since the troll is closer(presumably), he will come to help.

THANK YOU!

This value has been haunting my dreams haha.

Didn't think of looking in the game-play constants.

EDIT: Although it doesn't seem to change anything in-game, will have a play with this some more.
EDIT2: Dunno if it was me saving and reopening the map or that a value lower than 1 doesn't change it.

Last edited:
Level 12
It could also be that they're close enough to each other to count as a single creep "camp", do you see one or two neutral camp balls on the minimap when you don't have vision on them?

This value should also be found in the gameplay constants.

Status
Not open for further replies.