• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Stone Age Soldiers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I am currently creating a game, that runs through ages as you progress through the game, the first age being the stone age. When I came around to creating the units I realized there weren't any units that were very usable as stone age units. The units I need are:

1. Villager - a builder unit. Similar to the peasant, but wears furs and skins and is more scruffy (ex. has a wild beard and hair)
2. Militia-a light melee soldier, wears furs over body, uses wooden club as weapon, looks scruffy, similar to villager.
3. Slinger - a light ranged unit, similar to the Militia, however wears less furs/skins, and carries a sling instead of a club. Has a pouch for stones on his belt.

Thank you,
-sw

Level 15
First of all, "Militia" is not a good name for stone age. Try something else.

Secondly, search engine can do wonders. One, two, three!

In fact, a villager with one of these skins and a mace attachment would save you a lot of time.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

I'll second the idea to use a villager with attachments/skin. I'm doing a similar lv in my campaign and all I'm using is an edited villager man. (Looks pretty decent with a good skin to.)

Level 3
Well even if I use a different skin for the villager I still need a melee and a ranged unit. And I got the idea of militia from age of empires 2 where the dark ages unit is called a militia.

Level 15
Dark Age is pretty much a developed time, compared to Stone Age =) It's more like early Middle Ages.

In Age of Empires I basic unit wields a club and is called simply "Clubman"

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Well even if I use a different skin for the villager I still need a melee and a ranged unit. And I got the idea of militia from age of empires 2 where the dark ages unit is called a militia.

Download the villager with 30+ animations, if you just mod that with a few attachments you will have every possible unit you want.

Level 3
i'll give it a try, thanks for the advice. And I know that it doesn't start in the dark ages, but I figure, in the stone age there were no set warriors, only hunters who fought when necessary, so I decided militia would be a good name for it. And even thought I'm calling it the stone age, it really isn't. Its a rather developed period, just before the agricultural revolution

Level 15
Still, Militia is more of an organization, when volunteers (of storts) are called into service. Some basic name, like "Fighter" or "Tribesman" would be more appropriate. "Militia" may find better use in later epochs.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

I'd go with tribesman in this situation.

Level 3
Thanks for your advice everyone. Can anyone point me in the direction the where I might find a sling and a pouch for my slinger? I have searched all over and have not found a suitable one.

Level 3
Thanks for your input everyone. Im just gonna worry about the models later because they always end up slowing up what im working on, till I don't want to work on it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.