• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

StarCraft Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
First and foremost, for anyone who hasn't seen the trailer:

SCU (StarCraft Universe) isn't going to be a "clone" or a "remake" of anything. We've made a conscious effort to look at each aspect of the mod and ask ourselves, "why do we need this?" Thus if elements feel like WoW, EVE, Guild Wars or [insert any cool MMO you might play] it is because we find those elements to suit the style of play we enjoy and, above all, the lore associated with the StarCraft mythos.

We're not making a new game here, we're appreciating the story Blizzard has created and bringing it to you in a more personal format.

The Team
Ryan Winzen (Creation25) - Project Leader
Mille25 - Mod Developer
ProzaicMuze - Mod Developer
OneTwo - Mod Developer
Triceron - 3D Artist
Malfate - Web Developer
DarkRevenant(link broken) - Physics Developer
David Orr - Musical Composition​

Important Links
Forums & Website: This is where the bulk of our information will be released first.

StarCraft Universe FAQ: "What is this, I don't even. . ." this is for you. We try to answer some of the more important questions that people are asking.

Facebook: Because you know you're all just a bunch of creepers ;P

YouTube Channel: Any and all videos we release will be found here.​

General Information
As aspects of the mod become finalized (Classes, abilities, etc), we will share them with you here. Anything not set in stone will be limited to our website given that we don't want to commit ourselves to anything that might be changing. Understand that we ARE still in Alpha, so it may be some time before we're ready to share.

Upcoming Events
Most of the team (plus some of the people supporting the project) will be attending BlizzCon 2011. If you happen to run into us don't be afraid to say hello! We'll be wearing matching SCU shirts (picture coming soon!).

An open beta for our PvP Arena is quickly becoming a reality. If you'd like a chance to test the map with us ahead of time during in-house testing you can submit a Tester Application. We randomly choose members from this list who are online any time we do tests.

Development Logs

Dev Log #1 - Guilds
Dev Log #2 - Achievements
Dev Log #3 - Trade & Vendors
Dev Log #4 - General Update
Dev Log #5 - Female Models​

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Wow... You lot must really think yourself special if you feel the need for testers to fill in an application form.

The map does look very pollished I admit. It might also abuse visuals too much as there was atleast 3 occasions shown where one was unable to see properly (which should not happen in a game).

Did people really ask all those questions on the FAQ? As it seems most of them are stating the obvious to me.

I do admit that it would be fun to play compared to a lot of the most popular maps currently (like mineralz).

Level 2
Looks pretty special to me, this is a reputable group that has the top tutorial writer for the galaxy editor and the maker of "Mafia". The others are proven quality mappers.

I won't be playing this, but it's been a big deal for a while now in other circles ><

Level 2
Wow... You lot must really think yourself special if you feel the need for testers to fill in an application form.

The map does look very pollished I admit. It might also abuse visuals too much as there was atleast 3 occasions shown where one was unable to see properly (which should not happen in a game).

Did people really ask all those questions on the FAQ? As it seems most of them are stating the obvious to me.

I do admit that it would be fun to play compared to a lot of the most popular maps currently (like mineralz).

I'm going to assume you didn't click on the link to see what the Tester Application actually entails:

- Internet Connection (Speed Test)
- Battle.Net Username + Charcode!
- Must be in NA region (We may expand this to other regions in the future)

Right now, all of the testing we do is with the development team plus a few random testers to fill out slots. We have a wide range of things we need to test so in order to do this properly we want to make sure the people we randomly pick from are of the appropriate age to provide useful feedback. If we want to do graphics-related testing we take people with low/high end computers/internet connections depending on whether we're looking for the basement requirements or average needs to play comfortably.

Lastly we ask for their Battle.Net ID and # because without these it wouldn't matter who we are, they couldn't test the map. We aren't asking anyone to fill out a resume or prove to us why we should "allow" them to test our map. We just need basic information that anyone wanting to run a useful test should have.

As for the FAQ, definitely so. You're looking at this from a mappers perspective, but a large portion of our audience are people who haven't even played SC2 yet. You might think the questions are trivial, but you're not everyone; your perspective is biased. Just look at the comments on our YouTube video. Many of our comments involve people saying "I might buy SC2 just to play this!" meaning they have no idea what SC2 or its editor are actually capable of. Heck, many news sites are actually calling this an MMO when it's just a mod for SC2!

Maybe you feel like we're being elitist (I honestly can't see how), but your post was pretty hostile. We aren't a rag-tag group of individuals and if you spent even a few minutes researching us you'd quickly realize we're professionals. We're trying to make a full game experience that people have a legitimate reason to get excited about. Either you like what you see or you don't. I won't hate you for it either way.

Last edited:
Level 19
OMG this mod is already so awesome, even when I don't own Starcraft II.
I really do hope you guys would continue to mod in Starcraft II, instead of breaking into a standalone game for other companies, you guys are really good assets to the community and great for the further development of Starcraft II, good luck!

Level 2
Assuming that we don't ALL get hired by a company that prevents us from modding other games, we plan to release some of the custom content we will be making for public use and have already started making tutorials for some of the more complex things we know nobody else has tried doing yet.

We definitely support the modding community and will do our best to remain actively involved in it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.