• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Starcraft 2 repair icon help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I'm just finishing up this icon, i submitted it and it was said to be to blurry as i thought, so i was just wondering (Using gimp) how i could easily define the lines so it's less blurry. I tried free selection tool, it was to difficult and inaccurate, i tried selecting by color and if anything it made it MORE blurry.

All help appreciated thank you :D

Attachments

• starcraft2repair.jpg
    starcraft2repair.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 296
Level 9
Use some sort of light in the middle of it maybe? because that doesnt look like a color that a wrench whould have, that looks like some sort of glow :p. So make the glow source in the middle of the wrenches. (like a line)

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
If you use photo-shop then do this, use the magic wand and highlight the whole "teal, green" piece, then go to adjustments on "image" then hit "brightness and contrast" and it should bring the blurriness out of the icon, if that doesn't work then, you could just highlight it and then make a brighter color.
(This only works if you have Photo-shop)

Level 9
It's the exact icon from starcraft 2 haha I just freehanded it and the lines came out blurry >_<

well :p the starcraft 2 icon could look better but it is ur decision. :thumbs_up:

If you use photo-shop then do this, use the magic wand and highlight the whole "teal, green" piece, then go to adjustments on "image" then hit "brightness and contrast" and it should bring the blurriness out of the icon, if that doesn't work then, you could just highlight it and then make a brighter color.
(This only works if you have Photo-shop)
and he sad that he used GIMP in his first post :)

Level 35
Restart the whole thing on a white background, then do the shape of the wrenches in black. Afterwards, give it some sort of base color (in this case green, but I'd be happier with gray used for the sake of realism) and add details on these two object that are found on actual wrenches aswell. Use a picture for reference if that helps. Once you're done with adding the pieces of detail, color the individual parts. If you're done with that, imagine there's a sun glowing on one part of the icon, let's say the top right corner. Do a few lines on the lower left part of the wrenches with dark, which are not in touch by the imaginary sunlight, that's the shading. Use a lighter green tone when doing the areas close to the sun. Those are the highlights. Fill the background with black and resize, you might optionally want to add a glow too. Give it a few tries or read tuts if you're not cerain on things.

Basically.

Level 9
Restart the whole thing on a white background, then do the shape of the wrenches in black. Afterwards, give it some sort of base color (in this case green, but I'd be happier with gray used for the sake of realism) and add details on these two object that are found on actual wrenches aswell. Use a picture for reference if that helps. Once you're done with adding the pieces of detail, color the individual parts. If you're done with that, imagine there's a sun glowing on one part of the icon, let's say the top right corner. Do a few lines on the lower left part of the wrenches with dark, which are not in touch by the imaginary sunlight, that's the shading. Use a lighter green tone when doing the areas close to the sun. Those are the highlights. Fill the background with black and resize, you might optionally want to add a glow too. Give it a few tries or read tuts if you're not cerain on things.

Basically.

I really respect you as a hard working icon moderator and all... But sir you have to realize this isn't meant to be even near to what a real wrench should look like... I'm recreating the real life starcraft 2 repair icon... It's not supposed to be used for any other purpose or have any variation from the ACTUAL icon from the ACTUAL game.

Level 35
I know it's supposed to look like an SC2 wrench, but the SC2 wrench wouldn't get approved in the Hive icon database either :3

Seriously, the more details it has, the more realistic it looks, the better chances of approval you have.

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
Honestly here, ill give you details to add, as of the wrenches.
Details.
-Make it metalish.
-Make random bolts/circle type objects somewhere.
-Highlights/shades may come in handy.
-Maybe make it 3-Dish, to make the details that you put on more fluent.
-Look at some wrenchs at either google or msn or any website or whatever you have to do too find details/decoration/effects.
(All these recommendations are to you and only you, use these if you want.)

Status
Not open for further replies.