• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Stackable Auras/Units in Area of Generic Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
[Resolved] Stackable Auras/Units in Area of Generic Unit

Hey, we're having a problem with an aura/etc. we are trying to put in our zombie game.

The basic idea is that the zombies have an aura/etc. that buffs all zombies around them - stacking, making a single zombie fairly weak, but a horde, due to these stacking auras, very dangerous.

We have tried a few possible methods and ways that yielded nothing - and we have searched the forums with possible terms that could help us to no effect.

Pretty much we either want:
A stackable aura on each zombie that increases armour, gives lifesteal and attack damage while slowing movement speed slightly,
OR
A buff on all zombies that counts the number of zombies around them (a radius around the unit) and increases/decreases that zombie's stats an amount according to the number.

If you could direct us to a helpful resource for this, or tell us how to do this, or - really help us in anyway, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, please note there will likely be a lot of zombies (easily several hundred on the map at any time.) - so we're looking for a very performance-effective solution.

Thanks,
The Undeadables Team.

Last edited:
Level 10
Well I doubt if you have all zombies with the same aura it will do anything since having an aura already affects the aura user but if you maybe tried making multiple different zombies that had all the exact same stats accept their auras were all different abilities (with different buffs and everything but did the same thing), I think that would make it so that most zombies (if you put them in good enough order, all) would affect each other. With the radius I would just make it so that when a unit enters a certain radius of another unit (in this case the units being zombies) add to maximum health and armor and then another trigger being when a unit exits the certain radius of another unit subtract from maximum health and armor, that would make it so that hordes would become enormously powerful.

Level 19
Meh, make 2 types of zombies.
One that is some kind of an leader or something, and others to be normal.
Make an disabled spellbook ability and add item abilities to it that will increase the normal zombies stats.
Use an trigger that detects when a normal zombie comes closer to a leader one, then pick every units within the range of the leader's aura (600 AOE for example) and increase the level of the spellbook corensponding to the number of the picked zombies.
Also make an trigger that detects when a zombie leaves the area around the leader and set the level to default one.

Level 9
This is a hard one, the best performance effective idea is what Mortar- said.
- But I got a question for you, how many zombies will each player control maximum? Are you aware of the control bug that occurs when too many units exist under a player?

Level 1
Thanks for the help so far, guys :D

Duly noted on the no stackable same auras :)

@ Dead Zero -
How do you make a trigger detect when a generic unit is near another? I have tried this for a while but I was unable to get it working unfortunately.
That seems like the best solution as we don't want to have to create hundreds of individual zombies.

@Vergil - The player doesn't control these hordes of zombies :)
Each player will likely control 4-10 units maximum.

Thanks to all of you :)

Level 1
Bump, still having trouble

Also, we've run into a problem with our zombie spawns, we tell them to attack move to a random point in the map, but instead they decide to patrol move and choke up the spawn points on their return.
we've also tried attack-ground, but that doesn't allow them to attack enemies in their path, and once they hit their mark, they enter hold position (meaning ranged attackers can just pick them off)
For some reason, the attack move command works perfectly when they spawn for player 1(red) (as opposed to their intended player 7 (green))

Anyone know a solution for this?

Level 7
May you send me your map to check what's wrong with the, "Attack-Move + Patrol" problem? + I can make you stackable auras using Triggers. For example, you have an aura which increases Armor called, Hard Skin. When someone obtains an item, in trigger you set level of Hard Skin to Level of Hard Skin + 2 (or w/e level you want to increase it). Each level increases defense by 1. And if you drop that item, you set the level of Hard Skin to Level of Hard Skin - 2. You can also do that to Abilities using, If unit has specific buff.

Last edited:
Level 19
of cause auras stack
just delete the buff in the object editor
(at least the kodo damage aura stacked one or two years ago)
but there is a slight bug in that:
all values will be doubled
e.g. a +10 damage aura will give +20 damage etc.

however triggering it is easier cause a lot of auras will lag cause they are not well coded
auras also are very slow when it comes to applying them
you can increase performance by a lot if you remove all special effects connected to the aura (even the deleted buff one cause it will still be shown [ask blizzard why oO] )

edit:
still works
(only tested with flat bonuses though)

Level 1
Thanks for your help!
The auras stacked and it's running well now :)

We are still having issues with move orders, however, we will likely make a new thread for that so we can document it in full, and so that the title more accurately represents the issue.

Thanks for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.