• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spell - Time Lapse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
I don't know if this spell is possible to make, or if its extremely easy to make, so I'll just explain what it should do and we'll just see if its possible :)

Time Lapse
The Time Warden targets a friendly unit or structure, he instantly fades out, becoming invulnerable and moves at high speed to the targeted destination.

Info:
- Spell cannot be interrupted.
- Do not move instantly to point.
- Lock camera to him so player follows him during the spell duration, then reset the camera.
- He does not run, he "flies" there, so he moves through doodads and other things, can be over, or just straight through, as he is faded out a bit :)
- Doesn't matter if the duration of the spell is the same whatever distance (so a further distance he moves faster and a shorter distance he moves slow) or if he travels at a certain speed so a longer distance takes longer time than a short distance. I would prefer the later :)

If there is anything unclear about the spell, please let me know :) and thanks for any help or info I can get about this.

Level 7
no, this isn't too hard to do, i will work on it.
a couple of questions
do you want the unit to be running? why a unit or structure, why not a point? do you want the unit to fade out and then back in? do you want a shadow behind the unit? a unit that has the same shape, is mostly transparent and has darker coloring.
edit: when i say running i mean looks like it is walking.

Level 11
It doesn't matter if it looks like he is running or not, do whichever looks best :) as long as its faster than max unit walk speed (522) i believe it is too slow for a travel across the whole map :p it should only take ~5 seconds.
Well, I want it to target only friendly units or structures so players can't teleport to places they shouldn't be and get stuck until the cooldown is off, also to give the spell some conditions, so it is not too overpowered :)
About fading, you can make him like 50% transparent while traveling or something, you can fade him out and in over 1 second each if you like, but it isn't necessary.
Hmm, shadow.. I don't think a transparent unit should have a shadow so skip that.
Also, make the hero untargetable while traveling for all players, but still have the camera for owning player locked to the hero while he travells.

I hope this clears up a bit on my thoughts :) thanks for helping with this request :D

Note: In the map I am using a reskin of Blood Mage, so you can use the normal Blood Mage model for the caster of the spell in the test map to see how it looks :)

Level 11
Its working as intended, the camera shouldn't return :) thanks alot :D

I was just wondering, is it hard to fix so that when he reaches his destination, it makes a check, if there is a unit or structure there he doesn't land "in" them, as he is doing now. When targeting a structure he lands inside it :/

Level 33
This test map will show you how the system works (don't care about the leaks and anything, just focus on the system)
I put a 100 range area of detection
Replace Units[1] with the udg_TLUnit[udg_TL] and Units[2] with the Target (in the test map by Narogog)

I don't play with indexing value, but I hope that Narogog understood this comment and edit his test map
He used Real value to determine when to end the spell
If I were him, I use "does the picked unit is the Target?" method to end the spell.

Btw, here's the test map showing the Caster doesn't land inside of Target.

Attachments

• Simple Prevent Landing Collision System.w3x
    12.9 KB · Views: 61
Level 11
That seems to be a good way to deal with the issue, but I'm not sure where to put these triggers in the spell to make it work :/

Is it possible for any of you to implement the collide system into the spell map? Would be awesome.

Level 33
As the spell of trigger is not from me and it's in indexing, I can't do it for you :(
Ask Narogog for that and tell him to extract my system and implement it with his spell trigger to stop from the unit to "enter" another unit's body, LOL

Level 11
I believe he will see what we have discussed here when he has the time :) hopefully he can help with the issue.

But thanks defskull for adding in some help :D

Level 11
While he is travelling there shouldn't be any collisions :) its just when he reaches his destination, he shouldnt land "inside" a unit or structure. So just need some triggers which checks this when he reaches his destination :)

Status
Not open for further replies.