• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Special effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9

so i've got this right. Where im trying to put in special effects im having problems because im extra dumb. is there any way after the old unit is destroyed and the new one is spawned, that someone could give me some advice on adding like a level up effect and sound? or something. not gonna try to mingle with it because i know it's easy than me sifting threw every possible entry until i find it, and someone wont mind sharing their knowledge with me, thanks.

------------long story short-------------------
need help creating a special effect, honestly dont care what it is, just need something like the level-gained effect with sound or something. anyone help pls k thx

What does not work?
Maybe some condition is not met.
Implement messages to show which parts of the code run and which not.

As side note, you leak at the moment.
In case you are interested how to prevent leaks: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/triggers-scripts-269/things-leak-35124/

Also by the way, putting code into [TRIGGER] Code [/TRIGGER]
is much easier, and also better for you and us to look at it.

Level 9
my problem is when the unit enteres the region with the item, dies, and the new stronger unit is spawned in its place, there is no effect. the unit disappears and the stronger unit takes it place. I want some fancy graphics, some holy light(spell) sound and a huge animation like the level of animation to be on the unit.

Level 9
yeah after i uploaded the picture i realized they werent even properly positioned in the sequence (i think is what you mean) and okay

edit: i got it to work lel. just used the region the units have to walk to to trigger the unit!

Last edited:
Level 7
You could just save the location in a variable and create the special effect at the position rather than on the unit since you remove the unit.

Or

Just create the effect on the newly created unit rather than the one you are removing

Level 12
Why don't you create units as special effects and add them the locust ability? it works for me.

Special effects are less costly to create. If you can do it with special effects and no dummy units, you should try to do it with special effects, imo. Thing with units, though, is that you can change size, colour, animation speed, move them, make them more transparent, etc. They are much more powerful for creating cool animations, but you don't want to be spamming out units for common animations if you can avoid it.

Another case for special effects is when it actually needs to attach to a unit. That is really hard / not possible without special effects (though I think you can do it with abilities sometimes).

Status
Not open for further replies.