• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sounds playing twice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I'm having a problem with a custom sound used in my map, basically I created a sound to replace "StormBoltLaunch.wav" which is the attack sound for the projectile I'm using. After much trouble getting the sound to work properly, I finally discovered it had to be 16-bit, mono, 22050 Hz, PCM uncompressed. So I edited it in audacity and finally got the sound to replace it, the problem I'm having however, is that when the unit attacks the sound plays twice simultaneously. It seems to be random, but when attacking in 4/5 instances the sound plays twice, and I can't figure out why, any help? I can attach the map if you want.

Level 3
Have you set up a trigger somewhere that runs the sound?
Did you alter the stormbolt model?
Remember that models can trigger sound files on their own.

No, there's absolutely no triggers involved. The model is a custom one from hiveworkshop (http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/plasmamarine1-2_byepsilon-168917/). The model uses the same sound as stormbolt (I checked in magos so there definitely is no mistake). To change the sound, I imported my own custom sound and then used it to overwrite the original sound, it works fine except for the double sound thing. I've checked the sound dozens of times and it doesn't seem to be the problem, I've tried changing attack speed to see if that was an issue, also doesn't seem to be the problem.

Level 3
Here's the map, it's a bit messy but you can test it out easily enough.
If you listen closely, you will notice every so often that the sound plays correctly, it seems to be a small percentage though.

Attachments

• Zombie Survival Map.w3x
    930.1 KB · Views: 63
Level 9
as a test i replaced another sound 'DestroyerMissile.wav' with the imported sound you got. Then I gave the unit the destroyer missile model; It did not double play the sound I think.

In my opinion the sound you replaced is the problem. I've often had the impression that Blizzard's StormBolt sound plays in a strange way...

Just use the Model editor and attach the destroyer missile's sound to the imported missile model. (I'd have done that but i couldn't export the missile model...)
Then replace the 'DestroyerMissile.wav' sound like I did in the testmap.

Anyway here's a modified version. The unit got the wrong missile MODEL but the sound should only play ONCE. Just to be sure tell me if the sound plays the way you want it.

Attachments

• Zombie Survival MapTESTSTUFF.w3x
    947.2 KB · Views: 59
Level 3
as a test i replaced another sound 'DestroyerMissile.wav' with the imported sound you got. Then I gave the unit the destroyer missile model; It did not double play the sound I think.

In my opinion the sound you replaced is the problem. I've often had the impression that Blizzard's StormBolt sound plays in a strange way...

Just use the Model editor and attach the destroyer missile's sound to the imported missile model. (I'd have done that but i couldn't export the missile model...)
Then replace the 'DestroyerMissile.wav' sound like I did in the testmap.

Anyway here's a modified version. The unit got the wrong missile MODEL but the sound should only play ONCE. Just to be sure tell me if the sound plays the way you want it.

I couldn't find 'DestroyerMissile.wav' anywhere in the node attachment in magos (probably my fault, I only know basic modding skills) and I didn't think it would work because I have tried changing the sound to mirror image and overwriting that as well. However, I tried using dryad missile and noticed it was playing both 'DryadMissile1.wav' AND 'DryadMissile2.wav' at the same time, so I simply replaced missile 1 with my sound and missile 2 with a dummy sound that does nothing, lo and behold it works! Thank you!

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I couldn't find 'DestroyerMissile.wav' anywhere in the node attachment in magos (probably my fault, I only know basic modding skills) and I didn't think it would work because I have tried changing the sound to mirror image and overwriting that as well. However, I tried using dryad missile and noticed it was playing both 'DryadMissile1.wav' AND 'DryadMissile2.wav' at the same time, so I simply replaced missile 1 with my sound and missile 2 with a dummy sound that does nothing, lo and behold it works! Thank you!
Why don't you just remove the second sound node in your model if its imported anyway?
Just saying, no need to do a workaround when you can do it right...

Status
Not open for further replies.