• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Some RPG questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hi everyone,

After about a year or so of being inactive ive got the itch and ive returned to map making again.
Im not going to start a new map fresh instead im going to revamp and update an older map I did about 2 years ago that is about 80% completed Its an RPG stly emap so as you can guess I have a few RPGish style questions.

Could someone point mein the right direction to make a hero dialogue box selector thing, at the moment im using they old move the wisp to a unit to select it trick!

Im trying to spice up one or two boss fights I have, is there any tips for doing this. Ive got hold of some great boss theme music and this defiantly helps set the atmosphere anything else or general tips I can use to better this?

Is it a must to use custom models/something different as your hero and bosses?

Also if anyone has any hints or tips in general for making RPG maps this would be great, or any must haves to include

That’s about it for now, thanks for any help.

Level 12
Hi everyone,

After about a year or so of being inactive ive got the itch and ive returned to map making again.
Im not going to start a new map fresh instead im going to revamp and update an older map I did about 2 years ago that is about 80% completed Its an RPG stly emap so as you can guess I have a few RPGish style questions.

Could someone point mein the right direction to make a hero dialogue box selector thing, at the moment im using they old move the wisp to a unit to select it trick!

Im trying to spice up one or two boss fights I have, is there any tips for doing this. Ive got hold of some great boss theme music and this defiantly helps set the atmosphere anything else or general tips I can use to better this?

Is it a must to use custom models/something different as your hero and bosses?

Also if anyone has any hints or tips in general for making RPG maps this would be great, or any must haves to include

That’s about it for now, thanks for any help.

Check the FAQs in the sticky. Seriously.

Level 10
i admit i posted abit hasilty i was excited :p, ive found out msot of the things i was looking for. But im still not sure about boss fights and how to do them etc, and if its advisable to use custom models for heroes/bosses - is this expected in this day and age :)

Level 3
My opinion.. Custom models are not exactly required, and they take up a lot of space. There are many maps out there that use very little or no custom models at all, and are still lots of fun!

I am actually making an RPG myself right now as well. And so far i have only used 2 custom models for heroes. Again, not required but useful. Download a few cool icons to replace the old war3 buttons with as well - it will give your game that cool new look:thumbs_up:

Level 5
Dialog box - search the tutorials here or at wc3campaigns there are plenty of good ones.

Custom models by no means make the map, but they are more important in RPGs because you're using the same unit for so much longer. Personally I wouldn't worry about it at all right now.

For the boss fight - make it work and make it unique. You don't just want a regular unit with vampiric aura because thats nothing special, you got to think of it yourself.

RPGs in general - always leave it open for improvement and keep expanding it, but build off a solid base.

Level 10
sorry to be a n00b but what does a save/load do on multiplayer, i know silly question. Does it allow transition from one map to another eg like a campaign, or just literally save for a later date?

Level 5
It saves your unit data so you can load your hero back next time you log on (sometimes items and gold too). If you want an official RPG map you'll need a save/load system but it takes a huge amount of effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.