• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

some questions returning to editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I used world editor a few years ago. It was still being changed periodically by Blizzard to deal with leaks and stuff. I am wondering some things after using the SC2 editor:

- is it still better to use X,Y real numbers instead of locations in triggers?
- there is still no damage event?
- is more than 1 trigger with "map initialization" event still buggy?
- can warcraft 3 models use bump or normal maps?

Also can I treat event-less and condition-less triggers like "action definitions" from SC2? Example would be to sort out my many global variables which must be defined at startup. Have an initialization trigger that runs many other event-less triggers with "set variable" actions?

I have attached a test map to illustrate:

Attachments

• newbtonTestHive.w3x
    23.3 KB · Views: 35
Level 19
1) as long as you clear the leaks, no
2) Theres Bribe's GUI Damage System
3) i dint think so
4) what
5) what. if u want to, but essentially your just running the code. the difference between defintions from sc2 and running a trigger in wc3 is that first of all u cant use definitions as links in actions, and that you cant run a trigger that asks for presets

Level 4
thanks for the help, I have another question now

I am using some global variables as temporary local variables because I never learned jass. Most of them are points which I think do leak, so there is a custom script function that removes them.

My question is because I am using an array, how can I destroy the point variables?

example: how to destroy "tempPoint[1]" vs. how to destroy a non-array variable "tempPoint"

If you have an array like "tempPoint[0]" and "tempPoint[1]" can you just call the destroy function for "tempPoint" and have it remove both?

Level 4
Thanks for the help.

Another question with triggers, this time about special effects.

I am using some triggered abilities and buffs with special effects done through triggers. Do special effects that do not loop (example: holy light) need to be destroyed through triggers?

Also, is there any performance difference if, say, I wanted to create a spell that totally copies Holy Light, but do so through the "Channel" spell and do all of the health manipulation through triggers:

Method 1: do the special effect via the Art - Target in ability editor, setting art duration to 1.00 and attach to origin

Method 2: make the special effect in the trigger editor attached to the unit's origin

Method 3: make the special effect in the trigger editor, playing at the location of the target unit

I have noticed that for some reason, methods 2 and 3 fail to play the special effect randomly, even though the rest of the trigger (changing the life of the unit) still executes successfully. This happens usually when the caster is not near enemies.

Status
Not open for further replies.