• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Snippet] AutoFly (UnitIndexer Version)

Level 31
Not everyone knows this algorithm...

It's like sometimes I try to find an algorithm online and there will be 0 tuts on it... it'll be like, everyone knows it, but nowhere is it explain. Doesn't that drive you crazy as well?

Also, this is just a cnp into a map to make everything work, nothing special necessary =). Using a custom CreateUnit function means that you have to change all CreateUnit calls in every resource you might be using to use your own CreateUnit function.

Level 17
Not everyone knows this algorithm...

I meant it's pretty easy to inline, also i think it's obvious for most of us.
And for the others this script is good as an exemple.

It's like sometimes I try to find an algorithm online and there will be 0 tuts on it... it'll be like, everyone knows it, but nowhere is it explain. Doesn't that drive you crazy as well?

As i say it's good as an example.

Also, this is just a cnp into a map to make everything work, nothing special necessary =).
It requires your library UnitIndexer.

Using a custom CreateUnit function means that you have to change all CreateUnit calls in every resource you might be using to use your own CreateUnit function.

Not hard, you can even do that with a simple text editor.
But i'm agree it's a personnal thing.

JASS:
library AutoFly /* v1.0.0.0
                    -Credits to Azlier for original
                    -thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php/139729-AutoFly
*************************************************************************************
*   Makes SetUnitFlyHeight possible
*************************************************************************************
*   */uses/*
*       */ UnitIndexer /*           hiveworkshop.com/forums/jass-functions-413/unit-indexer-172090/
************************************************************************************/
    private function i takes nothing returns boolean
        if UnitAddAbility(GetIndexedUnit(),'Amrf') then
            return not UnitRemoveAbility(GetIndexedUnit(),'Amrf')
        endif
        return false
    endfunction
    private module Init
        private static method onInit takes nothing returns nothing
            call RegisterUnitIndexEvent(Condition(function i), UnitIndexer.INDEX)
        endmethod
    endmodule
    private struct Inits extends array
        implement Init
    endstruct
endlibrary

This way, it's slightly faster :)

Telling the VM to interpret "and false" undoubtedly takes more time than for it to internally check if a stack is empty. Seriously. JASS is at least a hundred times slower than the program that interprets it.

Not to mention writing "and false" is a waste of a developer's time, consumes map space, and a waste of our time discussing it.

Level 4
Code:
private function i takes nothing returns boolean
    return UnitAddAbility(GetIndexedUnit(), 'Amrf')...) and UnitRemoveAbility(GetIndexedUnit(), 'Amrf')
endfunction

is something like that:

Code:
call	_Z14UnitAddAbilityv
testb	%al, %al
je	.L4
call	_Z17UnitRemoveAbilityv
testb	%al, %al
je	.L4
movl	$1, %eax
jmp	.L5

.L4:
movl	$0, %eax

.L5:
popq	%rbp

.LCFI8:
.cfi_def_cfa 7, 8
ret

when

Code:
private function i takes nothing returns nothing
    call UnitAddAbility(GetIndexedUnit(), 'Amrf')...)
    call UnitRemoveAbility(GetIndexedUnit(), 'Amrf')
endfunction

is like

Code:
pushq	%rbp

.LCFI6:
.cfi_def_cfa_offset 16
.cfi_offset 6, -16
movq	%rsp, %rbp

.LCFI7:
.cfi_def_cfa_register 6
call	_Z14UnitAddAbilityv
call	_Z17UnitRemoveAbilityv
popq	%rbp

.LCFI8:
.cfi_def_cfa 7, 8
ret

still no difference? mathing jass handle processing it's assembly is much more bigger than above

Consider true or true and false.

You'd expect true and false to evaluate first making the whole expression evaluate to true because AND should have higher precedence than OR, but in JASS, it appears that they evaluate from left to right. I never noticed this before because I used parentheses to structure boolean expressions that mix different operations.

In JASS, the entire expression returns false.

Even though this seems to be the spec because JASS has no spec and thus the implementation is the spec in itself, I hate this so much and thus I consider it a bug just like how I consider raw pointers in C++ a bug. They are a pest I tell you

Last edited:

LeP

LeP

Level 13
Consider true or true and false.

You'd expect true and false to evaluate first making the whole expression evaluate to true because AND should have higher precedence than OR, but in JASS, it appears that they evaluate from left to right. I never noticed this before because I used parentheses to structure boolean expressions that mix different operations.

Nope i wouldn't expect this. Maybe i'd expect other languages to behave the way jass does? Wouldn't that be as valid?
Why should and have higher precedence than or? Most of the time parentheses are a good thing b/c every operator is strange to us except +- and */ since we learned them forever.
Maybe it's a bug-fix if it forces you to write easier to comprehend code?

Even though this seems to be the spec because JASS has no spec and thus the implementation is the spec in itself, I hate this so much and thus I consider it a bug just like how I consider raw pointers in C++ a bug. They are a pest I tell you

Muh feelings. I don't like this therefore it's a bug :alol:
I'm not a fan of writing call b4 every call-statement in jass yet i don't consider it a bug.

Look, i don't even care if and and or have the same precedence or not. But this totaly doesnt't matter. It's a small annoyance for people thinkging every language should be alike or which take too much focus on syntax.
One could argue that precedence itself is bad and throw all that away. You can do some quite cool stuff when you throw away syntax.