• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Smoke Bomb and the Caster System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I have a spiffy little smoke bomb which works well enough. However, it only uses the 'poison gas' effect. I want it to use the 'cloud' effect, yet it seems very stubborn about not wanting to use it. Does anyone know what needs to be done to get the 'cloud' effect to appear?

(BTW, the smoke bomb is used on the caster. Caster turns invisible for a few seconds and the smoke stays in one place.)

Second, I'm sure *someone* around here has had some issues installing Vexorian's 'caster system'. I've been trying to get it to fix itself yet the time utility seems to want to be annoying. I get this simple JASS error:

Function Redeclared: GetTimerData

-
function GetTimerData takes timer t returns integer
-

The Caster System won't let me disable the Timer Utility so it has to be used. Yet, it doesn't translate happily with my map full of triggers like the other spells. I'd post this on Vexorian's page but I couldn't find this problem there and you guys are better at explaining some of this.

I don't think there is a 'conflict' with my triggers. It could be a NewGen or something with the latest patch that has done something.

Oh, and a bonus question, I'm looking for a good lightning/electric ultimate spell. Are there any good candidates? :)

Level 9
1. If I suppose "smoke bomb" refers to DotA's Rikimaru skill, it is based on Inferno, the summon is a dummy unit whose model file is Cloud. What's poison gas anyway? Disease Cloud??

2. Sorry, never heard of this. I can't help here.

3. Err, just WTF?!

Here is not the place to ask for this, neither do we know what are you going to use this for. Still, for the sake of the goodness, I will try to help you, since lately I use a lot electricity in my maps.

I assume you make a DotA-like map, so that's from me:
[highlight]DOTA STYLE:[/code]

For PvP:

Name: Electrocution
Type: Active Magic
Target: Enemy Ground Unit
Range: 1000/1500/2000
Fires away a powerful positive-charged flash that flows trough a large distance, crippling every enemy passed trough and paralysing the main target. Deals instant damage depending on the distance flown (Base damage - 10% of the distance). Casting range improves each level.
Level 1 - Base damage 300, enemy units are slowed by 30% for 3 seconds, paralysis lasts 2 seconds.
Level 2 - Base damage 350, enemy units are slowed by 50% for 3.5 seconds, paralysis lasts 2.75 seconds.
Level 3 - Base damage 400, enemy units are slowed by 70% for 4 seconds, paralysis lasts 3.5 seconds.
Cooldown: 40 seconds.
Mana cost: 160/180/200.
Animation is in your decision.

For PvE:

Target: Instant (none)
Range: up to 1000
Fires several lightnings that travel into random directions and explode on contact, dealing damage and paralyzing the targets.
Level 1 - 2 lightnings, each dealing 100 damage and 2 second paralysis.
Level 2 - 3 lightnings, each dealing 150 damage and 2 second paralysis.
Level 3 - 4 lightnings, each dealing 200 damage and 2 second paralysis.
Cooldown: 120 seconds.
Mana cost: 200/350/500
Details: these lightnings are arcs and wander like Tornado, but they are much faster and disappear when they reach 1000 range. Each unit can be hit one time per lightning.
Animation: decide by yourself.

Level 5
1. If I suppose "smoke bomb" refers to DotA's Rikimaru skill, it is based on Inferno, the summon is a dummy unit whose model file is Cloud. What's poison gas anyway? Disease Cloud??

Poison gas is the green gas that is used for many things in default War 3, including Disease Cloud.

Smoke bomb refers to smoke bomb. I don't play DOTA so I don't know who Rikimaru is. I'll try a few things out with the cloud.

2. Sorry, never heard of this. I can't help here.

Really? I thought the caster system would have been better known. Perhaps, this was the wrong place to ask for it.

Caster System was made by Vexorian (who made NewGen I believe) which was an easier way to put in and make spells. There are some crazy features in there that I haven't seen been emulated anywhere else. I don't know if its features are possible multiplayer over Bnet or not. For all I know, it could be more trouble than its worth.

Caster System Link

3. Err, just WTF?!

Here is not the place to ask for this, neither do we know what are you going to use this for. Still, for the sake of the goodness, I will try to help you, since lately I use a lot electricity in my maps.

I thought it'd be a fun simple question to ask because I figured everyone here, who eat and breathe spells, would be like, "Oh, yeah, the XXXX one is my favorite!" "I personally liked the YYYY one."

I'm still 'shopping' for an ultimate, and I haven't found any that I really like. Maybe I shouldn't have asked but, oh well, I'd rather err on the side of making less posts than in making too many! =)

I assume you make a DotA-like map, so that's from me:

Why would you assume that?

I'm a big fan of the regular game, and I prefer competitive playing over Bnet. I'm no fan of DOTA or other hero arenas. I'm not knocking them, they are fine and wonderful that people like them. They just aren't my cup of tea.

[highlight]DOTA STYLE:[/code]

For PvP:

Target: Enemy Ground Unit
Range: 1000/1500/2000
Fires away a powerful positive-charged flash that flows trough a large distance, crippling every enemy passed trough and paralysing the main target. Deals instant damage depending on the distance flown (Base damage - 10% of the distance). Casting range improves each level.
Level 1 - Base damage 300, enemy units are slowed by 30% for 3 seconds, paralysis lasts 2 seconds.
Level 2 - Base damage 350, enemy units are slowed by 50% for 3.5 seconds, paralysis lasts 2.75 seconds.
Level 3 - Base damage 400, enemy units are slowed by 70% for 4 seconds, paralysis lasts 3.5 seconds.
Cooldown: 40 seconds.
Mana cost: 160/180/200.
Animation is in your decision.

For PvE:

Target: Instant (none)
Range: up to 1000
Fires several lightnings that travel into random directions and explode on contact, dealing damage and paralyzing the targets.
Level 1 - 2 lightnings, each dealing 100 damage and 2 second paralysis.
Level 2 - 3 lightnings, each dealing 150 damage and 2 second paralysis.
Level 3 - 4 lightnings, each dealing 200 damage and 2 second paralysis.
Cooldown: 120 seconds.
Mana cost: 200/350/500
Details: these lightnings are arcs and wander like Tornado, but they are much faster and disappear when they reach 1000 range. Each unit can be hit one time per lightning.
Animation: decide by yourself.

These are nice spells, but what I've been looking for is more of an 'ultimate', meaning the level 6 'super spell' that has one level in regular Warcraft 3. I could boost a regular lighting/energy spell down to one level and use max settings to make it an 'ultimate'. However, it would be a boring ultimate.

Ultimates have pizzazz, they have mass carnage, eyecandy, etc. For the Firelord, there are countless fireball spells out there but he would be incomplete without his 'volcano' ultimate.

Right now, I'm leaning toward making 'Tempest Dance' into an ultimate but it is a little too GUI to me (meaning, it slows down the game when used). I guess I'll keep on looking.

Thanks for the reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.