• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Skin Section features

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
How about maintainance and clean up?

Removing some plain recolored skins might help (red arthas and blue bloodmage). Recolors that have absolutely no freehand/CnP and looks absolutely dreadful (MSPaint) or stolen should be removed so browsers don't have to waste time.

Back on topic... I would suggest having a new filter to display skins under three main categories. Freehand, CnP, Recolor+CnP/Freehand.

Level 5
Seems rather silly to me, since some excellent looking skins are purely cut and paste, just as assuredly as some terrible ones are purely freehand.

First off, skin packs, since several models use more than one skin.

Apart from that, possibly a general "unit" "building" "doodad" "maptile" division, as well as/instead of the current races might make browsing and categorising a little easier.

Level 3
I'm a mod now too. I'm just deleteing the stolen skins and offensive skins. I think Darky wanted it that there is no bar set for how good the skin must be. I'll let san deal with ms paint and stuff.

Level 18
Ok dont know what i did to make you mad. If you have a problem PM me and ill tell you why I did what I did.

Other than that,

When i was first put into mod spot I only deleted stolen, and offensive skins along with relocateing about 200 skins, I also uploaded many SS's for people.
what did i get in return angry people asking why i didnt delete crappy skins so thats why ive put up the bar slightly.

Another note.

Add a spot for weaponless skins. We have received a few lately that are just weaponless.

Level 7
Putting all of the unit skins into race catergories makes looking for them a whole lot easier. Ex: You can have all of the Human skins in one section, all of the Elf skins in another (Night Elves, Blood Elves, etc.) and so on and so forth.

Level 3
phantom1412kid said:
Mock1 said:
I think Darky wanted it that there is no bar set for how good the skin must be.

But bad skins draw out the flamers who get carried away.

Talk to him. If it were my choice I would run this site like my own only quality work stays. It isn't mine so if darky tells me to delete bad skins I will.

Level 3
have a new section

there is nothing more frustrating than searching thru tonnes of skins/icons/models etc that u have seen before just to find the 1 or 2 new items in there.

:)

Level 3
I think if u can sort the skins by most downloaded on top to least on bottom or even by best rating it. i also like the idea of weaponless catagory....i could use that

Level 3
What I think needs to be done is the following: If possible add a sort of warning system. If people do not think that a skin is "worthy" they can click a link that will notify moderators or someone else who can review the skin unbiased. And if it is overly offensive, poorly drawn, etc. and enough people have notified moderators then it should be removed. I also like the idea of skin packs. I think one more thing should be considered. Simply removing bad skins won't solve any problems. When there is a bad skin deleted, more will follow and the flamers appear as well.

Level 1
my two cents... i agree with people who do want effortless skins removed. i don't really care what criteria u use, but in sea full of material, it's hard to look for what u need. i.e. i want to browse for a bloodelf skin, but theres over 400! even with broadband it takes quite a bit of time to load for the sole purpose of skimming.

a more constructive opinion to original point of thread... add a mechanical section? also... perhaps a sub section to distinguish hero and unit skins that have been created/modified/c-p would help too.

i.e.:
bloodelves
bloodelves (heroes)
human
human (heroes)
etc...

Level 3
DeFiLeR8383 said:
I think if u can sort the skins by most downloaded on top to least on bottom or even by best rating it.

Problem with this is that the old good skins are going to end up somewhere near the bottom because the recolors have occupied the middle space.

Mock1:
Isn't Darky28 reading this? If he isn't then is it okay for me to directly make my suggestion to him?

Level 4
Might want to make Screenshots of skins crucial instead of optional.
if people have to make the screenshots, than they wont just submit just everything.

Level 3
Yeah I agree with that. Make a proper screenshot required, and be fairly strong about it. It should keep people from posting screenshots of just random stuff. It's just wasted space with a screenshot that causes people to not download it. I came up with an idea that I don't necessarily liek and is kinda unfair but I felt like putting it out there. Perhaps a limit on the skins one user can submit shuld be created. Then, as their skins become popular and people have rated enough of their skins at a certain level, the amount of skins they can post increases. I don't know if it's possible but the idea sort of appealed to me. It will possibly keep the number of skins slghtly lower and the number of bad skins reduced.

Level 8
perhaps like a moderators picks or something, if you guys do go through them, you could pick out some of the well done/nice ones compared to something like 100 recolors that might have been done in 5 minutes, I know everyone starts off not that great but still if people want to look for really varied skins, not just a different color hair on a bloodmage or something, they might want somewhere to look through. Who knows maybe this higher rating thing might work.

Level 6
Hi there.
Can we sort skins by rating? When you go to the skin page, theres tons new all the time, but it would be nice to see 3+, or 4+

When you click on someones name, it says show the icons, show the skins, etc. But it does not say, Show the art. Submitted artwork. As skins in developement are posted there.

Also in artwork, it does not bring up the full image when you click on the thumbnail.

Nightmare17 said:
Seems rather silly to me, since some excellent looking skins are purely cut and paste, just as assuredly as some terrible ones are purely freehand.

I agree. I can freehand 90% of the skin, and use a skull from google search, and people jump allover it... even if it looks great. Maybe I'm a magnet for that, or people just like to hack to hell good looking work.....Quite frankly, I don't care HOW you made it. I care what it looks like, so I can use it. Whether its scanned, cnp, digitized, modelized, blah.

Why do they even see the skin? They cant say anything that way. I only submit QUALITY stuff...but seriously, i'm not going to anymore if some kids are going to cry "cnp, cnp, booo hooo hooo"

Level 18
Lets get one thing straight i dont see any crying about this cnp wahh all isee is OMG THIS IS 1337 ROxERSS THIS BEST sKIN.

and when someone does mentions a comment or crits the skin the author gets upset and angry that 1 person decided to tell the truth and give the authoer a tip or two.

Level 6
I am all for feedback and constructive critisizm. To the max.

Here is my work submitted so far.

http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/skinning/skins.jpg

Here is my feedback. BS.

" the shading in the leaves don't equal the area they are in : CnP "
"Its the same leaves that are repated : CnP "
" do not try to excuse CnP with the "just because it looks good"
"obviously CnP"
"nice 5/5 but its a cnp"

Aight.... I'll be quiet now.

Status
Not open for further replies.