• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Site keeps crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hey, is this site style ever gonna change?
Idk why but it keeps crashing my mozilla browser.
Each time I leave this page open the tab is either crashing or the whole browser, someone knows a fix?
Someone else has experienced this problem?
Also this site is quite "laggy"

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

At least I haven't experienced this, try updating Firefox and check if you can toggle hardware acceleration. Look how much RAM you got free as well.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
You should not follow @LordDz's advice for obvious reasons.

My suggestions:
- launch your browser without any extension, by holding down the Shift key right after clicking on Firefox's icon
- clear Firefox's internet cache, and restart the browser
- uninstall/reinstall Firefox
- try with another browser (like Pale Moon for example)
- backup all your important data, and do a full scan of your HDD for bad sectors (requires a restart).

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Probably one of the adverts. Recently the engineering quality of adverts is atrocious with them using insane processor resources or having serious memory leaks. This is a problem with the adverts and not the browser as the same adverts cause the same problems in Edge as they do in Chrome.

The adverts are localized and regional as many people might not experience the same problems.

Level 4
I don't think it's the browser, nor my PC.
I've had theese "lags" for a longer time on hiveworkshop even on my old disk, but not the crashes tho.
Never had lags on the old hiveworkshop design tho.

Can't be mozilla either because I've wiped my disk and got a new one about a week ago and had a clean and fresh install of everything.

Advertisement idk I'm using adblocker.

Thank u all for ur great & fast responses except the one who basically told me to destroy my disk drive with a magnet.

Roland

R

Roland

How about you pour water on the Computer and It'll go fast as light.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The site now uses some kind of streaming update notification system. I am guessing this requires a TCP connection be open or opened periodically? Maybe the site pages being browsed will hang for extended periods if the browser is having problems communicating through the TCP connection, eg if using unreliable or intermittent internet.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
My one Chrome process' RAM usage goes to ~1.7GB when visiting last page of fav music thread: What is your favorite song at the moment?

Needless to say that it's because of YouTube widgets.

@jondrean : page 82 is shock full of embedded YouTube videos. They do eat RAM; therefore a 1 GB RAM PC (or less) will choke and swap like crazy with this specific page. I am waiting for page 83, to post again in this thread.

Last edited:
Level 4
The old design was much more CPU intensive because of the way the leaf borders were displayed. This one runs much smoother on mobile devices, etc. What kind of computer do you have?
Some quite average one I guess, it's a little old but I keep buying a newer video card, CPU, motherboard, etc.
I don't think that it's my PC tho, disk should be fine too since it's new / wiped & cleared.

B85M-G Asus Motherboard
16 GB Ram
i5 3.30 GHz Dual Core
Nvidia Geforce GTX 750

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Oh yes, I forgot that every time someone links a youtube the page hangs while the youtube widget is loaded. We had that with one of the blizcon news posts where the moderator linked 40 odd youtube videos so loading the site main page took ~30 seconds.

I think Google has been working to fix this though by making a lighter weight widget that does not need to be resolved through them before it can be used.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Does your browser load a youtube video if it is inside a hidden tag? I guess @deepstrasz could group them 5 per hidden tag or something. Just an idea.
The site now uses some kind of streaming update notification system. I am guessing this requires a TCP connection be open or opened periodically? Maybe the site pages being browsed will hang for extended periods if the browser is having problems communicating through the TCP connection, eg if using unreliable or intermittent internet.
Nope, it polls periodically. It's not using WebSockets.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
What if it cannot poll? Eg it takes 10 seconds to open the low level TCP connection to the site due to various reasons.

As far as I am aware all http requests use TCP as their underlying protocol. A http request could stall for many seconds for a variety of bad communication reasons.
Sure they do, but you made it sound like we keep a persistent connection, which would be kinda cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.