• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Simple animation tweaks requested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hello, all.
As much as I want to learn modeling and stuff these days, I have no time to do so. And yet I really need a few things right to polish up the graphics on my map.
I'm not expecting you to do this for me completely free, so I'll be happy to pay you for your time if we agree on the cost up front :) I don't think it will take that much time for someone used to this.

*Add an existing animation as impact animation to the Red Dragon attack
*Swap the existing impact animation of the mortar team attack with another existing animation.
*remove the "sheep"-sound from the Polymorph spell target animation.

Any takers?

Level 5
Yes, by impact animation I meant death-animation of missiles. I'll post them shortly! How long time would you spend on this?

Using the Hex is a good idea, but it's for the activation animation for a Wind Walk-like spell, and the woosh-cloud of the polymorph works much better than the yellow rays of the Hex.

Level 5
Why the rush? (depends)
Oh, I didn't mean to stress it, I just wondered how long it would take for you to do the actual job (how much work it is). Considering I offered to pay for it and all :)

This effect should be the death animation of the mortar-missile. It would be cool if you could keep the original crater instead of the new one, but it's not that important.

And this effect should be the death animation of the red dragon attack.

Level 21
Hey, that's mighty nice of you. Would mean a lot. Thanks :)
Here, try these, but note that the new Death animation is much longer than the previous one, so don't overuse them, because it won't look so good. If you decide to use them in your map, remember to give credits to WILL THE ALMIGHTY, since he created those cool explosion effects.

Attachments

• For Neversleeping.zip
    7 KB · Views: 31
Level 5
Dude! Wow, this looks absolutely amazing :) I remember asking around for the same thing back in 2010 or something, but was left hanging. But four years later you show up and deliver :)
Yes, I definitely try to limit the frequency of large effects appearing on the map. And off course Will the Allmighty is already credited :)

However, a few small details. I see that the red dragon missile seem to hit "overhead" of the target all the time. Is it possible to get this to strike at origin instead? This is governed by the missile animation, right?

And for the polymorph tweak, can it be true that you used hex here instead? Cause instead of the puff of smoke I get these yellow rays coming out, which isn't completely in match with the ability. Also it seems to happen a bit overhead as well.

I hate to ask for more, but would you care to take a look at this when you have time? Cheers!

Last edited:
Level 21
However, a few small details. I see that the red dragon missile seem to hit "overhead" of the target all the time. Is it possible to get this to strike at origin instead? This is governed by the missile animation, right?
I,ll try to fix that.
And for the polymorph tweak, can it be true that you used hex here instead? Cause instead of the puff of smoke I get these yellow rays coming out, which isn't completely in match with the ability.
Sorry, it seems that there are multiple polymorph effects in the archive, so I accidentally edited the wrong one.
I hate to ask for more, but would you care to take a look at this when you have time?
If you have something that I could help you with, feel free to ask.
Also, I'll do some updates when I have free time.

Level 5
Actually, on the topic of explosions, there's one more thing. I'd like to change the Goblin Sappers "Kabooom"-animation, but I can't find it in the editor, and it's a bit hinky to trigger it, since I can't seem to detect the Kaboom event. I tried "starts using an ability" and different versions of that. I can't use an on death-event either, cause it should only trigger when the ability is actually used. Any ideas?

Level 21
Actually, on the topic of explosions, there's one more thing. I'd like to change the Goblin Sappers "Kabooom"-animation, but I can't find it in the editor, and it's a bit hinky to trigger it, since I can't seem to detect the Kaboom event. I tried "starts using an ability" and different versions of that. I can't use an on death-event either, cause it should only trigger when the ability is actually used. Any ideas?
Goblin Sappers "Kabooom" animation is a part of the model itself, and not an other effect model . What are you planing to do with it?
I reduced the height of the particles in the Red Dragon missile, it should look closer to the ground now. I also edited two effects you could try for that Wind Walk-like ability.
EDIT:I cant believe I forgot the upload, here it is.

Attachments

• For Neversleeping2.zip
    5.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Level 5
To me, this is like christmas and birthday at the same time. Can't wait for your upload! :ogre_haosis:

For the sappers, I simply wanted to make them a bit more... well, Kabooom! I think they deserve a bigger effect on death, especially in terms of animation. I'm thinking Will's "Massive Explosion" or something like that.
I also toyed with the idea of giving them the ability to place a barrel that will explode after a set amount of time, instead of that kamikaze attack. But that's a project for another time, I think.

Level 21
To me, this is like christmas and birthday at the same time. Can't wait for your upload! :ogre_haosis:
Thanks for the compliment. I accidentally forgot the upload (my post above).
For the sappers, I simply wanted to make them a bit more... well, Kabooom! I think they deserve a bigger effect on death, especially in terms of animation. I'm thinking Will's "Massive Explosion" or something like that.
I could add it to their kabooom animation if you want.
I also toyed with the idea of giving them the ability to place a barrel that will explode after a set amount of time, instead of that kamikaze attack. But that's a project for another time, I think.
So you basically need a barrel model from the sappers with an explosion animation?
:goblin_boom:

Last edited:
Level 5
I could add it to their kabooom animation if you want
Wow, thanks, that would be awesome! :goblin_jawdrop:
Either this or this one

I'm not able to test them from where I sit now, but perhaps you can pick the you feels is best fitting. From the picture alone, not knowing the size of them etc, I guess perhaps the first one is better.

So you basically need a barrel model from the sappers with an explosion animation?
:goblin_boom:
That's the idea, yeah. Words cannot express the coolness if you would do that as well. I'm in your debt.

Last edited:
Level 21
Either this or this one

I'm not able to test them from where I sit now, but perhaps you can pick the you feels is best fitting. From the picture alone, not knowing the size of them etc, I guess perhaps the first one is better.
Since you said you want a massive explosion on death, I think I'll use the second one (first effect is too small).
Do you want that barrel to also have a massive explosion, or a smaller one?

Level 5
Go massive =)

I tested your fireball tweak in a game now. It looks absolutely wonderful in action, but on playtest I think the sound a bit too "hard" considering the relatively high frequency it appears with. I wonder if it's possible to change the sound to something softer, like the original fireball spell or anything like that.

Wind Walk looks great now, although the effect is still a bit overhead of the caster.

You'll have to pardon my "pickyness", but my philosophy is that it's all in the details :)

Last edited:
Level 21
Go massive =)

I tested your fireball tweak in a game now. It looks absolutely wonderful in action, but on playtest I think the sound a bit too "hard" considering the relatively high frequency it appears with. I wonder if it's possible to change the sound to something softer, like the original fireball spell or anything like that.
I changed the sound to default one.
Wind Walk looks great now, although the effect is still a bit overhead of the caster.
It is really simple thing to do if you have Model Editor (by Magos).
If you want to make particles appear closer to the ground, you need to change the height of particle emitters. Here is some kind of a guide.
1. Open a model in the Model Editor, go to Windows > Node Manager.
2. Then, find particle emitters. Particle emitters have distinguishable icons with a white arrow that points to right, inside of indigo square. Right click the first one, and then click Edit Node. A new window will open.
3. Under the Pivot Point section, edit the Z: value, as this determines the height of where particles are "born" (up,down). Don't edit other two fields, X(front,back) Y(right,left). So, if you want to lower them, type any lesser value than the previous one (can also be negative). For example, if the number is 78.8642, reduce it to 40. When you do that, click OK, and edit all other particle emitters the same way.
4. To view the changes, go to Windows > Animation Controller. Click the Unanimated, and scroll down to find some animation. In that (new) window, you can play the desired animations.
5. If you need to compare their height to the ground level, go to Edit > Properties. In the lower right corner you will see a section that says Ground Texture. Below it (white space) enter some texture name, for example: TerrainArt\Ashenvale\Ashen_DirtGrass.blp Below that In the Scale field, type some number (not too big and not to small), for example 225. Below that, tick the box where it says Use Ground Texture. Then click OK.
6. Save the model, and exit.
Notes:
1. You will probably have to further edit the height, just do the same process until you are pleased with the result.
2. Some particle emitters show fine in the Model Editor, but some just don't. Those invisible emitters are always visible in game and in the World Editor.

You'll have to pardon my "pickyness", but my philosophy is that it's all in the details :)
No problem. :) I also finished the sappers with a massive death explosion and their explosive barrel.
When testing, make sure you type 13 in the Art - Death Time (seconds) field, since the explosion(s) lasts 13 seconds.

Attachments

• Explosions.zip
    67.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Level 5
I'm so entertained by the new sappers. Adding a bit of white mask flash and a little camera shake really made them badass.

There's one thing about the model, though. The 3D-portrait does not show a closeup on the face, but shows the model from far away. Is that also something I can fix in Magos?

Level 21
There's one thing about the model, though. The 3D-portrait does not show a closeup on the face, but shows the model from far away. Is that also something I can fix in Magos?
Yes you can edit angle and distance of the portrait camera.
But it's easier to just change the model's path (in import manager) to this :fp:Units\Creeps\GoblinSapper\GoblinSapper.mdx ,and then it will use the standard portrait.

Status
Not open for further replies.