• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Arena] Shinobi Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shinobi Showdown

Introduction
This is an arena map which attempts to utilize a new kind of a custom combat system, one that was never successfully made and published for Warcraft III yet. You control a single unit in this map. The map is Naruto-themed, although it doesn't include a single character from the series. Proceed to Features to find out more.
[tr]
[tr]

zzCUk_idUXigkqt8JYs0erZ4Dkebt3xkNNJJtFRMdBoL_jJiNBPFO8Ojgi8lx74ilrg=w300

Features
  • Four-ability skillset: Strike, Shoot, Jump, Substitution
  • Unlimited number of possible combos, on ground and mid-air
  • Just let me repeat that, MID-AIR combat
  • Five different Shinobi Nations to choose from (Fire, Water, Earth, Wind, Lightning)
  • Five different character models, depending on your village of choice
  • Three unique Nin-jutsu abilities depending on your village of choice
  • Complex combat interaction
  • Beautiful special effects and terrain
  • Missile collision in mid-air
  • Unique character selection system
[tr]
[tr]

tumblr_mzni4rDEY01rebta9o1_1280.gif

Skillset
Strike - moves forward, slashing simultaneously, damaging enemies in front of you;
Shoot - sends a straight-trajectory shuriken in targeted direction; shuriken deal damage to the first target hit; this skill requires a 0.4 casting time and can be interrupted by you and your opponents alike;
Jump - jumps into the air; you can't change the direction in which you will move by right-clicking while in mid-air; however, you can do everything else: Strike, Shoot, Dash and even cast Jutsu; can be cast in mid-air to execute another jump;
Substitution - becomes unable to react for 1 second (the sub. will trigger if any damage is taken during this time) to leave a distraction behind and become invisible for 2 seconds; invisibility is not broken by movement, but will be broken by anything else.
[tr]
[tr]

mangekyou_sharingan_sasuke_ii_by_fortyseven47-d48kmkt.png

JutsuThere are 5 nations you can choose from, and each one of them has a special Jutsu. Those are:
  • Fire - the village of Konohagakure is fire oriented and offers following jutsu: Fireball, Fire Barrage and Dragon Flame;
  • Water - the village of Kirigakure is water oriented and offers following jutsu: Water Vortex, Spikes and Dragon;
  • Lightning - the village of Kumogakure is lightning oriented and offers following jutsu: Lightning Blade, Orb and Thunderbolt;
  • Earth - the village of Iwagakure is earth oriented and offers following jutsu: Earth Pillar, Armor and Erosion;
  • Wind - the village of Sunagakure is wind oriented and offers following jutsu: Wind Cutter, Flow and Whirlwind;
[tr]
[tr]

rasengan___2012__gimp_by_naruttebayo67-d5alhul.png

Combat interaction
Interruption
This map utilizes something I will refer to as Interruption system. That means that any ability cast can be interrupted. There is a certain amount of time each ability needs in order for it to take effect, and if you get hit during that time, the ability will simply be canceled.
Realistic response
Unlike in regular Wc3, you and your opponents will respond to damage. In most cases, getting hit by your enemy will briefly immobilize you.
Projectile collision
Projectiles which collide in mid-air will, depending on the type, either instantly be destroyed, or go on like nothing happened. For example, shuriken colliding with another shuriken will result in both of them being destroyed. However, a fireball hitting a shuriken will only result in the shuriken being destroyed, and the fireball intact.
[tr]
[tr]

Heavenly_Beacon_Seal.png

GalleryLet me apologize for the quality of the video. I am working on a wooden laptop, so this is the best I could manage. It shows the 4 basic skills. Enjoy :)
[tr]

Notes
This map is currently in beta stage.
Please download and share your thoughts with me. I promise you will be amazed :D

Fixed some more bugs, and uploaded the new version with 15 spells.

Attachments

• ShinobiShowdown.w3x
    2 MB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Level 30
Looks great and indeed, an action-packed map. And that mid-air battle looks interesting and never seen before. This is what we are searching on Warcraft, some unique twists in gameplay and mechanics and you've done it.

Though for the Shoot spell, instead of just shuriken, I would suggest that you give half chances for a shuriken or Kunai to be thrown each having their different damage output.

Example:

30% for Kunai = Deals x (where the damage is much higher than the Shuriken) damage and stunning the enemy for x seconds.

70% for Shuriken = Deals x damage and makes the enemy bleed for x seconds (or if you want, simply a damage)

It would be great, if there are random outcomes on the Shoot spell, you know.

Overall, this looks promising and I can visualize BnG here but hoping much better. Looking forward on the first upload and +rep.

Looks great and indeed, an action-packed map. And that mid-air battle looks interesting and never seen before. This is what we are searching on Warcraft, some unique twists in gameplay and mechanics and you've done it.

Though for the Shoot spell, instead of just shuriken, I would suggest that you give half chances for a shuriken or Kunai to be thrown each having their different damage output.

Example:

30% for Kunai = Deals x (where the damage is much higher than the Shuriken) damage and stunning the enemy for x seconds.

70% for Shuriken = Deals x damage and makes the enemy bleed for x seconds (or if you want, simply a damage)

It would be great, if there are random outcomes on the Shoot spell, you know.

Overall, this looks promising and I can visualize BnG here but hoping much better. Looking forward on the first upload and +rep.

Although randomization is a good idea, and I will possibly use it in some other areas in the map, current damage system doesn't allow this. Although I will probably give different throwables depending on the village you choose (Shuriken, Kunai, Senbon, etc.).
Hehe, no BnG copying here. I admit that my last project was a lot like BnG, but this map doesn't look anything like it.

Thanks for the feedback, and +rep to you :)

Level 6
Map doesn't work for Macs. You can check these links why:
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=19382694708&sid=3000
http://www.thehelper.net/threads/mac-certain-map-crash-on-selection.130633/

But I think it may be mostly due to this, as it is with every map I've played that doesn't work:
Screen%20shot%202014-02-28%20at%2010.06.24%20PM.jpg

If you'll be unable to fix this, can we at least see a video or a tech demonstration of this unique combat you are featuring? :)

Sure, will begin constructing the video today, possibly post it tomorrow :)

It has been a while since someone commented on this, so I thought I can give myself some time before I post a new version.

So, the first beta version is uploaded now, please check it out and share your opinion with me. New features include:
  • Custom and unique character selection system
  • Character repick after death
  • A playable terrain
  • Numerous bug fixes

So, before I release this project to the Maps section, I am hoping to get some constructive criticism on how to improve it.
Also, I need to make some Game Modes and a Custom UI before the release :)

Level 30
Played this with I_am_Death, a user here and even in it's state which is quite simple: small map size (seems to be in 32x32 or 64x64), decent terrain (it can still be improved someways) and etc., it is really fun to be honest. The controls and mechanics make up for it. It was worth fighting another player through different movements, attacks and combos. The way that if both of you clashed kunais or spells that it disappears is also good like counter but I would suggest that if spells and kunai hit each other, the spell should not disappear seeing that the spell is a much stronger force than the kunai.

Also, the map size is quite small. I really wonder what will happen when there are 5+ players. The map will be a disaster and all. The terrain also looks fine but could be improved somehow. It seems empty, I would suggest placing environmental doodads with no pathing such as grasses, mushrooms, flowers and etc. And it seems if you cast Jump then moving with the mouse, you cannot move while jumping but instead you should move first then jump to be able to move on air or mid air. I would suggest that even when you cast Jump first, you can still have control in the mid air.

For my suggestions, it would be great that if ninjas were not only focused on 1 spell. Possible unlock-able spells would do great bu requires something, it depends on you. It would be also great if there would different game modes in the map and possible make each fight rewarding like giving out golds for you to buy out items and stuffs which I would also suggest too.

Overall, even in an early state, the map is completely promising and I would definitely see this map grow. +rep!

Thanks for the long feedback :)
I will add Missile Strength as a parameter, which will decide how a missile acts when it collides with another missile. That is a great idea, and you will be credited, Hell_Master :D
The current map is just the first of several to come. And it's not finished yet, I will definitely work on the terrain more. I suppose there will be at least 4 terrains, with each being meant for different number of players.
You certainly can't control your movement in mid-air, but you can Double Jump, which means you can cast it once more in mid-air. It will make you jump in the direction you are currently facing, and if you are not moving you will just jump in place.
I only started making spells, and will make 3 spells for each Village. The spells will work together, but can be used on their own. For example, let's take a look at a Kirigakure shinobi, a water-type jutsu user:
- Water Pond Swamp [DONE] - //the name will be changed to Water Vortex// pulls characters who are nearby a target location;
- Water Spikes [NOT DONE] - deals damage in the targeted area; if there is a pre-existing water source (Water Pond Swamp or water from the terrain) the damage is doubled and the area hit is slightly increased;
- Water Dragon [NOT DONE] - summons a water dragon; you can't move, but can control the dragon's movement by right-clicking; the jutsu will be cancelled if you take damage, the duration ends or if you choose to cancel it by re-activating the ability;

There will be different game modes, and as I said earlier, terrains (maps).
As for items, I thought to make some usable items that are supposed to give you an edge in battle. For example:
Demon Wind Shuriken - similar to shuriken, but can slightly alter it's course to follow an enemy; can hit up to 2 times (both shuriken and enemy hits count).

Once again thanks for the feedback :)

Level 6
Here is mah suggestion:
- Hell said all xD
- Make unit become hero (optional). Cuz if i click at opponent then i have to find da unit back, it's hard with a map like this because u must rush or die. I prefer use F1 to use group.
- Make ninja has mana, so u can use shuriken not like a spam way and it regen in some amount of time, maybe 5/5, that's enough.
- Make shuriken can cast err.... rapidly. I dunno how to describe cuz i'm not a modder :p. Mean like u cast w w w but your ninja throw 1 2 3 shuriken. Current, i cast w w w but ninja do the animation and 1 shuriken is thrown :c
- If u choose to make hero, i suggest each er village has its special hero
- Moar mode, table show K/D, etc... stuff
That's what i can think :D. Maybe will give more

Thank you for responding :D

- I will make a looping trigger that will always make you select your character, don't know why I didn't do that yet;
- Shuriken casting is like that on purpose. It doesn't cost mana, but it has a casting time, which makes you unable to spam and abuse it; you can fire a barrage of shuriken, but it needs to be timed well;
- More modes and stuff coming soon, this is just the first beta version;

The new version is here, with 10 new spells, which gives a total of 3 to each village/character.

Level 30
Okay, played with ILH, the new version of the map and I must say lots of improvements and new spells for each ninjas. I use Konohagakure's Ninja because of it's great and aiming spells but anyway, we found some pathing bug on our map. Just a small one, I screenshotted it, see attached image below.

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_031614_065015_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_031614_065015_01.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 250
Status
Not open for further replies.