• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Shapeshift problems using Tinker's "Robo Goblin"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
I've made a "shape shift" spell which is supposed to change a hero into another hero. It's based on Tinker's "Robo Goblin" ability, as suggested from other posts on this forum.

for testing reasons ive done a very simple converstion. i've taken a standard Orc Shadow Hunter hero, and given him my custom ability to transform into a standard Orc Blademaster. They convert back and forth just fine, the problem is that no stats are changed, and the shapeshifted unit still retains the abilities of the original hero.

Doing a little research here, I've read that you have to change the two units' "Techtree - Dependency Equivalents" to the other unit in order for them to maintain seperate stats/skills; set the shadow hunter's dependency to the blademaster, and blademaster's to shadow hunter.

But the same problem persists. Its model, sound, and run speed are converted when it shapeshifts, but the shapeshifted Blademaster still retains the Shadow Hunter's primary attribute, stats, health, mana, and abilities.

The whole point of the shapeshift is so the shapeshifted unit has a seperate set of abilities, but that doesnt seem to be happening with my current setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Level 1
ive seen several threads about this type of "shape shift" and most of them talk about the method ive described, such as this thread:

http://www.wc3sear.ch/viewtopic.php?t=12706

this thread talks about someone using the same method, and successfully having the heroes abilities change. what were they doing differently that allowed abilities to be changed after shapeshifting, without any triggers? and if this type of conversion isnt possible without completely replacing the unit like youve said, why did the moderator mention "dependency equivalents?"

Level 1
Ramza said:
go to the for example: demon hunter. then to 'techtree' and there the first line. click it and there sleect the unit u want to change it to. go to the transformed unit and do the same

i understand that part. ive successfully shapeshifted the unit into another form. thats not my problem. the problem is the abilities. both forms need seperate abilities. and according to the thread i linked, they were able to achieve that without any triggers, based on the Tinker ability.

from the thread i linked:

But for me it worked only in one direction. I tried changing a hero into another, but when i tried changing back, the model remained the same, and abilities were totaly mixed up - some were from hero 1 and some from hero 2. And each time i transformed the hero levels restarted to 1.
he used the method i described, and the abilities were changing in different form, only they were a little mixed up.

That is because of the Dependency Equivalents.
the moderator suggests using the Dependency Equivalents setting to fix the "mixed up" abilities in the different forms.

how was this person able to have different abilities for the different forms using the same technique i am? or have i misread the thread i linked to?

Status
Not open for further replies.