• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Schinxz Holy priest healing guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
First off I'd like to introduce myself.
I'm (Champion of the Naaru) Schinxz of Bloodscalp, Europe.
My armory link:
The World of Warcraft Armory

I made this account on hiveworkshop a couple of years ago, and have not been very active (this is my 6th post lol xD)

But now I thought that afterall this is my cousins homepage, which he loves, and that I would like to take (small)part in it. So as the wow geek I am, and fan of healing, I thought I'd start out by writing a Holy priest healing guide.

First off, a lot of people say that holy priests is the weakest of the 4
healing classes. I find that very untrue. I dont think you can say that any of the classes are the weakest, but deffinately they got their advantages and disadvantages. I think the reason people say this is because holy priests can be a very complex class to master.

Talent's:

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

This is the build I use, theres many other good builds, I have tried a lot of
them, but this is the one I like the most.

Let me go through the talents.

Unbreakable Will:
This is in my opinion mostly a pvp talent. I take this only because I need to
get down to the next talents, and the only other choice is Wand specialization, which is even worse :p

Silent Resolve:

This is in my opinion a very important talent. It's normally hard to pull aggro
from a tank, but it indeed is possible, especially when pulling. If you dont
find this talent important, you could choose to only put 1 point in it and max Improved power word: Shield

Inner Focus:
This talent might seem useless, One free heal every 3 minutes. But this
combined with Holy Concentration, it can really be a life saver. (I'll explain-
later)

Meditation:
Without this talent you will spend most your time without any mana. This is the
main reason you will put points in theDiscipline tree.

Mental Agility:
This build is build around circle of healing, which is an instant cast spell.
This talent will reduce your dependency on regen.

Improved Renew:
This talent is a musthave. I often find my renew doing 15-20% of my healing.

Holy Specialization:
You wont find any cloth healing gear with +crit on it. Without this this talentthe Inspiration talent will be pretty useless.

Devine Fury:
This talent takes of ½ a second of your greater heal. This means 16.67% more healing output. A must have.

Inspiration:
This is very usefull when healing on tanks

Holy Reach:
This improves your range by 20%. I Find this talent mostly for raiding.
This ofcause makes you able to stand at a further range which in itself is an advantage. Other than that its biggest advantage is that you will be in range of more people without having to move around too much. This talent will greatly improve your effectiveness.

Improved Healing:
15% more healing, lovely :D

Spirit of Redemption:
You would have wished you had this when the raid wiped when illidan was on 1% :p

Spiritual Guidance:
Spirit is one of your mainstats, this greatly improves your healing output.

Spiritual Healing:
Another lovely healing talent :) doesn't need too much explaining :p

Holy Concentration:
When this pops, cast a big heal, use Inner focus before you cast your next heal. This will regenerate a lot of mana for you. (You will understand why when reading the section about the 5-second rule)

Empowered Healing:
More free +healing :)

Circle of healing:
This will heal your target and every party member within 15 yards of the target. Takes some time to learn to use it effectively. But this spell is probaly your main healing spell when raiding tk and higher.

Note
that you cant have both devine spirit and CoH at the same time. When you join a guild ask if anyone is specced for divine spirit. Every guild should have atleast 1 priest with Divine Spirit. Requires some organization.
I'll add a DI build later.

Thats it for the talents for now. I'll add some more builds later.

The stats:

Stamina:
When people see you passing on gear without stam, such as the neck from
Nightbane, many people will say stuff like "Lol your a healing you dont need
stamina yadda yadda". This is 100% lies. Maybe it isn't that important for
heroics and karazan, but if you plan on doing ANy late game raids, stam is
gonna be one of the most important stats. Fx against High Warlord Naj'entus, the first boss in black temple, you need 10k+ hp.

Strength/agi:
I once tried to make a melee priest, it wasn't that succesfull.
(By this I mean you shouldn't have ANY of those stats)

Spirit:
This is one of the most important stats. It will improve your mana regen
(and +heal if you have improved spiritbuff on you) Spirit will give you "while
not casting" mana regen. This means that when your not casting any spells, this is the number you should be looking at. The talent Meditation allows 30% of this regeneration to continue while your casting. Regen while casting is useually referred to as MP5. Atleast it will be in this guide. The 30% from meditation can be increased to 35% if you wear full Primal Mooncloth set.
(Only do this in fights where you dont need stamina!)

The 5 second rule:

The 5 second rule is quite simple. When you cast a spell (use mana) you will enter "while casting mode". When you have entered WCM you will have to NOT cast any spells for 5 seconds before your "while not casting" regen will become active again. This is where the Holy Concentration -> innerfocus combo comes in handy. Notice that I wrote "use mana" earlier. This means that when you cast a spell when under the effect Holy Concentration/Inner Focus it WONT count as a spell cast! What I do when holy concentration progs, I wait 2-3 seconds (if the situation allows it) then cast a big heal, pop Inner focus,then cast the next spell. This makes you able to get 1-2, if your lucky 3, ticks of your WNC regen, while still healing. (in my
case thats about 1-2k mana). When you master it its very usefull.

Intelligence:

Intelligence is the stat that determines how much mana you have. But as of patch 2.3 this stat has more use. It now increases the amount of regen you get for each point of spirit. The formula for regen is as follows:
MP5 = 5 * (0.001 + squareroot(Int) * Spirit * Base_Regen)
(For the variable Base_Regen look at the attached file)

Regen.png

(this is based on a level 70 with 400 spirit)

as you can see the amount of regen gained pr int is slightly decreasing,which means
that theres a limit to how much int its efficient to have, regen wise. I like to keep my int around 4-500, while I stack as much spirit as possible.

Mp5:
This is deffinetely a nice stat to have too. I dont aim for it though on my items. When I look at gear mp5 is the stat the is a nice bonus, but im really looking at the other stats. Spirit is better than MP5 after patch 2.3 (This is my opinion)

Plus Healing:
This is probaly your most important stat. Get as MUCH +heal as possible WITHOUT nerfing your other stats. I can be hard to find the balance of stats in the beginning, but you'll get the hang of it.

The Plus healing:

As a Priest you have various healing skills (on level 70)
Greater Heal (3.0 sec cast -> 2.5)
Flash Heal (1.5 sec cast)
Binding heal (1.5 sec cast)
Prayer of Healing (3.0 sec cast)
Prayer of Mending (Instant)
Circle of Healing (Instant)
Renew (15 sec duration)

So we are gonna look a bit on the mana efficiency of the different healing spells.
Healing spells of cause receive bonus from your bonus +healing.
the tricky part is that the bonus amount differs from spell to spell depending on the cast time of the skill. (Instant casts counts as 1.5 second casts)
Healing over time has that bonus calculated from the duration.

The cast-time skills coefficient's is as follows:

Cast time Coefficient Cast time Coefficient
7.0+ sec 200.0% 4.0 sec 114.3%
6.5 sec 185.7% 3.5 sec 100.0%
6.0 sec 171.4% 3.0 sec 85.71%
5.5 sec 157.1% 2.5 sec 71.43%
5.0 sec 142.9% 2.0 sec 57.14%
4.5 sec 128.6% 1.5- sec 42.86%

The healing over time Coefficient's is as follows:

Duration Coefficient
3 sec 20%
6 sec 40%
9 sec 60%
12 sec 80%
15 sec 100%
18 sec 120%
21 sec 140%

So lets start doing some math. I'll do ALL the calculations based on a priest with MY spec with 1500 +heal.

Greater heal rank 7.
A slow casting spell that heals a single target for 2396 to 2784. (avg=2590)
cast time 3 sec
Mana cost 825 - 15% = 701 (Empowered Healing)

This skill has 2.5 sec cast with my build, but it still counts as a 3 sec cast. This means it gets 85,71% bonus from my +healing.
Besides that it gains bonuses from the Talents Spiritual Healing(10%) Empowered Healing(20%)

1500 * 0.8571 = 1285,65 = 1286
2590*(0.10 + 0.20) = 777
2590 + 1286 + 777 = 4653

Efficiency:

4653 / 701 = 6.6 heal/mana

Which means, for every 1 mana you use, you heal 6.6 health.

Flash Heal rank 9:
Heals a friendly target for 1101 to 1279. (avg=1190)
Mana cost = 470

This skill has 1.5 sec cast. This means it gets 42,86% bonus from my +healing.
Besides that it gains bonuses from the Talents Spiritual Healing(10%) Empowered Healing(10%)

1500 * 0,4286 = 643
1190 * (0.10 + 0.10) = 238
1190 + 643 + 238 = 2071

Efficiency:

2071 / 470 = 4.4 heal/mana

Which means; for every 1 mana you use, you heal 4,4 health.

Binding heal:
Heals a friendly target and the caster for 1042 to 1338. Low threat. (avg=1190)
mana cost = 705

This skill has 1.5 sec cast. This means it gets 42,86% bonus from my +healing.
Besides that it gains bonuses from the Talents Spiritual Healing(10%) Empowered Healing(10%)

1500 * 0,4286 = 643
1190 * (0.10 + 0.10) = 238
1190 + 643 + 238 = 2071*2 = 4142 (this spell heals both yourself AND your target)

Efficiency:

4142 / 705 = 5,9 heal/mana

Which means; for every 1 mana you use, you heal 5,9 health.

That's it for the direct heals.
As you can see the efficiancy is Greater Heal> Binding Heal > Flash Heal
Remember to take in consideration that you have to have lost health yourself for binding heal to be efficient.

Ofcause this doesn't mean that you shouldn't use flash heal at all. flash heal is an awesome heal, and without it priests would be near useless. What style of healing you should use really depends on the situation, you assignment and your regen.
If your assigned for tank healing, the best thing to do would be casting greaterheals on him, as he has a big buffer of health to outlast the long cast time.
If your regen is high enough flash heal would probaly be the best shot for raid healing (unless a lot of aoe damage).

N.B. This guide is not Finished!

Attachments

• Base_Regen.txt
    994 bytes · Views: 98
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.