• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

SC Brood War spawn & timer trigger question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hey guys.

I'm working on a sort of zombie-survival type map for Brood War, a lot like Zombie Attack!!! or Raccoon City.

The issue I'm having is that my spawn triggers seem to stop working after the 3rd wave, and I can't figure out how to solve this one on my own.

I've copied Panzer Kavaliers trigger approach from the RC series, it looks like this:

CONDITIONS:
Elapsed scenario time is exactly 23 game seconds.

ACTIONS:
Create 45 Zealot at Spawn 1 for Player 8.
Create 45 Zealot at Spawn 2 for Player 8.
Create 45 Zealot at Spawn 3 for Player 8.
Create 45 Zealot at Spawn 4 for Player 8.
Issue order to all men owned by Player 8 at "Anywhere": Patrol to "Generator".

From here on, its the same trigger repeated, but instead of "23 game seconds", it jumps to 70, and then 120, and so on for every 60 seconds.

I wasn't sure why Panzer chose 23 game seconds at first, but I noticed that when I entered only 20 game seconds instead, the triggers fall apart and only the first wave will spawn.

I've essentially followed his trigger layout exactly the same, so I'm not sure whats going wrong here.

Can anybody tell me whats making the spawn trigger cut off around 3rd wave?

Level 1
Yeah, I know, Elasped Time trigger sometimes doesn't want to work. Not sure why (could be a game speed change problem; no idea, really).

There are workarounds usually with triggers which don't have time as their initiator:
Brood War StarEdit Wait Trigger Problem (~solved)

I've considered a work-around but its bugging me that Panzer was able to make this work and meanwhile I cannot.
It CAN be done, and thats the itch that I can't quite scratch.

I'll keep trying things, but it seems as though I'm having to take more abstract approaches now.

There are mysterious triggers that are lying around the Raccoon City map, such as the "Hyper 1" "Hyper 2" etc, which consist of only the following conditions and actions:

Conditions:
Always.

Actions:
Wait for 0 milliseconds.
Wait for 0 milliseconds.
Wait for 0 milliseconds.
Wait for 0 milliseconds.
Wait for 0 milliseconds.
Wait for 0 milliseconds.
Wait for 0 milliseconds.
Wait for 0 milliseconds.
Wait for 0 milliseconds.
Wait for 0 milliseconds.
Preserve trigger.

Can anybody explain what point these sort of triggers would serve?
I can't help but wonder if some of these seemingly-useless triggers are acting as buffers for other primary triggers.

Level 1
Hyper Triggers - Staredit Network Wiki
Hyper triggers are used to check triggers more often than every 2sec, e.g. every 0.1 sec. I'm currently trying to fix Hazard Zone(another zombie map! :) ) and there are hyper triggers and death counters and .... it's a comlete mess. Try using Scmdraft2 with Trigedit plus - TrigEditPlus : Advanced trigger editor for SCMDraft2 (File)

I'm also a bit new to triggers, but I'm into programming, so it's not that hard.
try reading a couple of trigger tutorials, that might help, e.g. broodwar trigger order - Google-Suche ;)

I guess he is using 23 sec because on fastest the timer runs faster, so 23 seconds "game speed" might be something like 15 or 20 real time seconds.

Also, your triggers might be broken because you're using multiple waits ? I just read the links from the hypertriggers' link and there is an explanation about wait blocks. I guess that's a reason to always use hyper triggers(for improving trigger firing speed) + deathcounters/burning terran buildings(as timers or counters for events)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.