• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Saved games won't load

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
When playing my map in singleplayer, when I save the game it doesn't take very long, but then the saved game file takes up tens of megs for some reason. The problem is that when you load the saved game, it quits after it's finished loading. Here's the error message when WC3 crashes:

This application has encountered a critical error:

FATAL ERROR!

Program d:\program files\warcraft iii\War3.exe
Exeption: 0xC0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION) at 001B:1503BFAD

The instruction at '0x1503BFAD' referenced memory at '0x00000000'.
The memory could not be 'read'.

Press OK to terminate the application.

This is a pretty big problem, since the game could take up to two hours in singleplayer. I've heard that the file name could have something to do with it, but I've gotten rid of all spaces and punctuation (only underscores). The map doesn't have a lot of units taking orders all over the place, but what it DOES have it a lot of unit morphing.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this, or heard of this happening before?

Level 6
a friend once told me about having the same problem with dobrp which is a series of big and complex maps too.
as u said the saved files are very big so it might be just too much for wc3 to handle.
i suggest trying to disable all triggers and check if it still doesnt work. if it does work, enable them step by step till u find the messy trigger and try to rewrite it in a simpler way or something.
in case it doesnt work backup ur map, remove all customized content involving that unit morph stuff and try it again. :roll:

Level 2
There's no save/load triggers, that would be REALLY hard to do for this map.

So I tried testing the map again, and saved it right at the start, a few seconds into the game. Basically just a bunch of initializing triggers have happened, BUT one being initilize advanced WEU triggers (and maybe even using some advanced WEU triggers...). This took about as long to save as the last one, and ended up with about a 5.5 meg file.

After the intro cinematic, I played around with the morph thing a few times, saved it again. This time the file was around 6.5 megs.

Then I did some more stuff, quit, and saved the replay. The replay worked fine, and the file is only 15 kb (KILOBYTES!!). But, the game where only a few seconds went by wouldn't load.

The map has TONS of triggers (although none of them are used too frequenly). If I got rid of all the triggers, I wouldn't be able to test the map since you don't start with any units =/

One solution (if it's really WEU that's screwing it up) would be replacing the WEU triggers in the map with normal ones, and making a seperate version of the map for single player (I THINK a lot of the WEU triggers only matter in multiplayer, or for visual affects). I guess I'll have to worry about that later though...

Level 6
id still test it without any triggers even if its unplayable - just to see if its the triggers in general (maybe something like "initialize advanced triggers"). as for replays they are always small as they dont save the whole map or the values but only the players' inputs and the random seed to be able to reconstruct the game on demand.

Level 7
It might be the variables, as I remember Demise of Brotherhood Role Playing has 2000 or 700 something variables. It also uses World Editor Unlimited, though strangely only the variables! (maybe they copyed script code?) But I would say try deleting some variables if there is tons and tons of them and try every idea on this thread.

Level 2
I'll try getting rid of a ton of variables then. For some reason WEU creates a huge amount of variables, and I'm not even sure if any are used (I haven't used them directly in the triggers at least). Good thing I've used vars sparingly all this time. Aaand, if that doesn't work, I'll try removing the triggers. Thanks =]

Status
Not open for further replies.