• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Save Load System (My Own vs Imported)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

The Question
Is it simpler to make my own save/load system or import one?

Details
Hi all.

I want to make an orpg map. Because everyone has one and I have great ideas too. But I can't do that without a save/load system.

So yesterday I thought to myself. If I were to make my own save/load because I'm inexperienced, I'd make it in this way:

- Save each item/ability/hero into a database of arrays
- Add random code for each item of the database, example "&r4e"
- Add each random code to a string for each item in the inventory, hero class, hero abilities, gold, experience and level
- Then do the whole preload into a text file
- At the start of the game, typing "-load + code" I will look at the substring of characters beyond 5 and will do a tedious check like
from character 6 to 9 will be hero class, from char 10 to 13 will be hero level, from char 14 to 17 will be hero gold etc.
- Save into variables then create a new hero with those items

Also no cheating protection. Users can learn the codes over time and create their own strings to import
But I'm fine with that. Those that want to cheat will find a hole anyway

How far/close am I from an already made save/load?
Do you think I'd be wasting my time making my own?

From my memories, it's a little far away from actual saving, several save load systems are very compatible with many maps (such as TriggerHappy and Nestharus), though some others don't.

I would suggest using existing ones as it saves time, but if you want to make your own, it's okay.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

From my memories, it's a little far away from actual saving, several save load systems are very compatible with many maps (such as TriggerHappy and Nestharus), though some others don't.

I would suggest using existing ones as it saves time, but if you want to make your own, it's okay.

Yeah but am I far off from a simple save system?
Will it actually work like I described it?

Yeah but am I far off from a simple save system?
If you really want a comparison: your idea compares to a real save/load as a candle to a super nova or a bobby car to a lamborghini.

Your approach will not only be easily hackable (believe me: even the dumbest of players will notice the pattern in your save code if you implement it that way), but it will also only store very very few data in a very long string. There is no compression at all.

Spare yourself the trouble thinking about it and just use an existing save/load. There's one for every flavour. Even the 'high level' ones like the one of Nestharus are fairly easy to use, even for inexperienced coders.

If you want a GUI-friendly system, use this:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...a-177395/?prev=search=Save%20Load&d=list&r=20

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

If you wanna waste time making your own, go for it ;). If you wanna save time, use one that's already made.

There are few save/load systems because the current ones have been optimized to no end.

Check my sig (My Resources) under Tutorials for an interactive tutorial on save/load if you wanna learn more about how they work.

I will. Thanks

If you really want a comparison: your idea compares to a real save/load as a candle to a super nova or a bobby car to a lamborghini.

Your approach will not only be easily hackable (believe me: even the dumbest of players will notice the pattern in your save code if you implement it that way), but it will also only store very very few data in a very long string. There is no compression at all.

Spare yourself the trouble thinking about it and just use an existing save/load. There's one for every flavour. Even the 'high level' ones like the one of Nestharus are fairly easy to use, even for inexperienced coders.

If you want a GUI-friendly system, use this:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...a-177395/?prev=search=Save%20Load&d=list&r=20

Well that kicked the cat out of the bag.
Well put sir, well put...

+rep for your awesome candle super nova comparison.

Well that kicked the cat out of the bag.
Well put sir, well put...

+rep for your awesome candle super nova comparison.
Just to clarify: there is nothing really wrong with trying to code your own save/load. In fact, something like this can have a high educational value in terms of programming, as it teaches you about encryption, optimization, compression and working with non-decimal bases.

But that only matters if you want to learn about it. if you just want to get your map working (and let's be honest: there's plenty of other more useful stuff to learn), there's no real point in making one on your own.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Just to clarify: there is nothing really wrong with trying to code your own save/load. In fact, something like this can have a high educational value in terms of programming, as it teaches you about encryption, optimization, compression and working with non-decimal bases.

But that only matters if you want to learn about it. if you just want to get your map working (and let's be honest: there's plenty of other more useful stuff to learn), there's no real point in making one on your own.

Well I do like to try myself think of a way to make my own version of something other people made. Both as a good thinking exercise as well
as trying something new or finding a different better/worse way of making.

I'm not in a rush to post my map.
In fact, who knows when I'll finish that map lol

And I'm very familiar with encryption, hashing, prevention and optimization. But this isn't PHP/.Net and I'm lazy to learn Jass :p

Status
Not open for further replies.