• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Save/load codes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
Now that the first map is nearing completion, we thought we'de start investigating ideas regarding save codes :)

What would you like to see as part of the map?

We could allow players to fully save their characters including equipment and stats.

We could just allow player to save their ranks? allowing them to start a new class each game, but keeping a few player-stats such as kills, deaths etc.

Perhaps just a saveable rank which gives you access to secret areas? or new spells the higher your rank is?

Nothing has been written in stone, so feel free to give us your opinion :D

Level 4
Well, you are trying to imitate Diablo.. It would only be logical if you saved the character in it's entirety, just like how Diablo would be, no?

Level 17
In the current state (just one map) saving the entire hero would just destroy everything. A player joins the map, loads the hero, pawn everything.
So before we got 2-3 maps, saving heros will be useless.

Currently it would be better with some sort of "status" system.
I said this before, maybe somthing like this:
Deaths
Ressurects
Kills
Finished runs
times Played
Most used hero
Least used hero

And then when we have 2-3 maps we can have a hero save system aswell (separated if you just want the hero or just want the status)
Hero level
Equiped items
Account name (so you cant share the code)
Save slots (a few slots in the inventory save the items)

Level 1
How flexible are the stats for saving? Just so I have an idea, and see if I come up with a system that might work. Well, an idea for a system anyway.

Level 1
Ugh, I can't post new threads yet, but an idea my friends and I came up with...

Different difficulties? I mean, I loved the beta version, and thought it was difficult... but if the save load system could work.. you would could come back, kill harder monsters, and get better loot... just like in Diablo!

If the save system cannot be implemented, can a difficulty system be placed in instead, to make the maps last longer?

Level 8
I haven't played this game since beta v1.05, but here are my suggestions regarding a save/load system and a difficulty system:

At the beginning of the game, the host selects what difficulty the map is. All players receive a message about the selected difficulty. They can choose to create a new character or load an existing character. You cannot load a character that has beaten the game on that difficulty. You should also save a character’s progress through the map, allowing him to pick up where he left off, and possibly summon his teammates with portals or waypoints or something. A player’s current character should be saved automatically when the player leaves the game (like Save & Exit from d2).

• Main Save/Load Idea: If possible, I would suggest saving a player’s characters according to their bnet account name. When the map starts, each player will see a dialog box with their characters. They are allowed to click one to load it, or click “Create New Character”.

• Alternate Idea: Use save/load codes. You can give each player a dialog with the options “Load an Existing Character” and “Create New Character”. If they click load, they are prompted to type in the code. I don’t like codes as much as the other idea, though, because it’s done so often and it’s less user friendly.

If the player chooses to make a new character, the camera will be locked to a region (different for each player) where the player can select a class, d2 style, with the unit stepping forward and playing an animation. You can even have them type a chat message to give the unit a name.

You also might consider making monster's stats semi-proportional to the combined levels of all players, or the number of players (like in d2). Then in each harder difficulty, the proportionality constant would increase. This would make the game playable single-player, and also give groups of players a challenge. If the current difficulty is too easy for a group, they can load their characters on a higher difficulty.

Level 3
I think making it like diablo would be nice in saving everything, but to make it so that the level of your character plus the class decides how strong the monsters become and maybe make them respawnable?

Also if you want it more diabloy to make it harder to level after awhile would help probably a little bit.
To add a rank system of like how many kills you could would help and after like 10000 kills or something you get Matriarch or Patriarch (cant rem havnt played Diablo 2 for some time).

I think more would come out for diablo 3 at the next blizzcon which is August 21-22 and by that happening you can therefore expand the map. Also if you think tyreal would make it better that can be added since map limit has been increased unless you just want the map to be overall smaller.

(Sorry if it was slightly off topic)

Level 5
I think it's nice idea but it would make the game pretty much unbalanced for first time players and someone with code that is level 20 for example.

Level 17
I think it's nice idea but it would make the game pretty much unbalanced for first time players and someone with code that is level 20 for example.

well, isnt it inbalanced if a level 20 helps a level 1 in wow or diablo 2? thats the same thing. A high level helps a low level. and we will add difficults so that maybe even high levels could have a hard time completing the map (if we ever add save/load :p)

Level 16
Although this project is finally finished?

Yeah I just noticed that, and it looks really good :eek:

I like the idea with a save/load system, it will enhance the replayability by A LOT, and if we keep the codes between the maps (if we're actually making multiple), it would be really cool to start on one map and then continue on another :D

Level 17
Although this project is finally finished?

I checked that now. And it looks awesome, but right now we wont use save load.

But i noticed something wierd.
O.O'
I was a member in that clan a several years ago, a swedish only friend of mine invited me, but that was ages ago. But i have no contact with him anymore, he quited to start playing diablo 2.
He's name was danne93 something i think :p (Daniel) was he's RL name.

If im not wrong, i think Ng standed for Night, am i wrong?
The clan may have disbanded and maybe a new one with the same name was made. At that time the clan was for map makers and they made a few escape builders (i think) at that time.

Level 2
if it could be done, i think making it so you get one code every time you save, so that code is designated to your name.

like if you save at level 15 you get

abcd-efgh-ijkl-mnop

and save at level 20

abcd-efgh-ijkl-mnop

it just updates the level that the code represents

Level 17
if it could be done, i think making it so you get one code every time you save, so that code is designated to your name.

like if you save at level 15 you get

abcd-efgh-ijkl-mnop

and save at level 20

abcd-efgh-ijkl-mnop

it just updates the level that the code represents

What do you mean?
Its impossible to make the same code load different things if thats what you mean.
Becouse you can not possible create a b.net cache for the map that saves information from all played games online, so that way it would be impossible for the game to know what level you did have when you saved last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.