• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Rural Rymar - Pre-Invasion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Pictures from a terrain-map I made. It's set in a farm-community of the nation of Rymar (the 'good guy' faction in Imperial Castle Defense) before the demonic hordes warped through a portal and corrupted the land. The entire 64x64 map is supposed to look screen-shot worthy, although some parts are better than others, and some are certainly more detailed. Done in Lordaeron Summer tileset taking about 3 hours to make the map and take the screen-shots (of which there are around 20).

This is my first terrain-map, so be gentle. :p If I can improve (I'm certain I can), tell me how! [/boringcrap]

Attachments

• rymar1.bmp
    918.2 KB · Views: 156
  • rymar2.bmp
    891.1 KB · Views: 164
  • rymar3.bmp
    512.6 KB · Views: 123
  • rymar4.bmp
    636.5 KB · Views: 132
  • rymar5.bmp
    806.9 KB · Views: 126
  • rymar6.bmp
    893.7 KB · Views: 132
  • rymar7.bmp
    900.8 KB · Views: 115
  • rymar8.bmp
    901.1 KB · Views: 117
  • rymar9.bmp
    652.8 KB · Views: 117
Level 6
Ummm... the screenshots are damn small, you dont give us a change to see much of the map... Its like you zoomed in ultra wide^^
I suggest you take some screens with a higher zoom factor.
But lets see...

The Village is boring, use different house models and do some variation with them. The size differences are good, but its all the same color.

And also the fences, you can change the pathing in the object editor to none.
So you can place them without space between each.
Then you can add "pathing blocker ground" there so units cant get in there.

I would also like to see more Textur Variations, u can use the World Editor Unlimited for that. Get some new Grass Textures and such, maybe a real stone path trough the village.

Level 10
Um, you can click the thumbnails to enlarge them. Unless you already were doing that...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't WEU kind of glitchy and crash-happy? I've heard mixed opinions of it.

Yeah, I had a feeling they were too repetitive, but there aren't a lot of farm-house models in WorldEdit, and I try not to import if possible... so try to mix them up/change color tones with some in future maps?

Thanks for your comments :D

Level 6
No i ment, these screen looks like theyre taken with a 320x320 solution.
Did u zoom in using the mouse wheel? It looks like that,
Also i know that with the zoom factor, god iam not stupid you know? Geez...

The Weu isnt that good, but it has a program with that you can create maps from scratch and then change the textures. And now silence, and test it out. I dont want to hear blablabla, just test it ok ;)

I think also the Building that come in 3 variation, the little green one the big red and the normal sized blue one looks good for a village.
Not the best but they give atleast some variation.

Level 10
Yeah, I did use the mousewheel. About the click-enlarge thing... 'kay, I was worried for a moment. o_O

I prefer thatched roofs over tiled ones, and personally think they work better in a rural medieval setting, but alright. I'll also try out WEU tomarrow, too tired to do it tonight. Not trying to put it off or anything, just sayin'... I'll edit/reply with results.

Level 35
I see lots of good village ideas in this, but as said all looks to similar. When finding more house models, also find some differnt tree, flower models to add more real look, and maybe get somekind of animal (dunno if there is a pig model) so it isnt a small kodobeast, just looks wierd in that connection. Also in the forest make some hight differnces. But else a good idea.

Hint make some cameras in map an then play them taking screenshots from them makes it much more easy taking the pics, dunno if you did that, but because you talked about mousewheel I presume you didnt do it like that.
Also many villages on the timeperiod hate somkind of water near to them incase of fire, so heres the chance to make some good looking sea or something... :smile:

Level 8
The main problem is the Lordaeron Summer tileset LOL. It is the ugliest tileset available, too bright and plain and.... meh. Anyway, Village is a crap load nicer, so use that in the future. Also try bunching your doodads (shrubs, rocks and flowers etc) together instead of placing them randomly spread across open spaces. Also try using custom trees!!! I do like screenshot 5 though, the 3 buildings bunched together to look like 1 big one is good, and so is the scaling you have used for your buildings, although there is an anvil larger than a man in 1 of them ;)

Level 10
Hint make some cameras in map an then play them taking screenshots from them makes it much more easy taking the pics, dunno if you did that, but because you talked about mousewheel I presume you didnt do it like that.

...D'OH! Can't believe I didnt think of that... then I could show the moving units without using crappy angles... =o

And there actually is a beach not too far off the entrance, dunno if you can see it or not, but in the screenshot with the guards, there's a tiny clip of blue in the top left corner... didn't really post a good shot of it though.

As far as I know the only cow model in existence is standing upright on its hind legs with it's front hooves out in front of it... as you can probably tell, that wouldn't fit, and it's not like you can tint things white in the editor...

Alright, I'll write all these down for next time 'round and try to take some screenshots of this one with cameras for better quality.

Level 10
Tried to download WEU from Thehelper forums, and I got this error...

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at www.rpg-design.net.

* Check the address for typing errors such as
ww.example.com instead of
www.example.com

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

((Hopes jirinal doesn't kill him))

And on topic, main thing seems to be variation... seems to be easy enough, might make the number of objects in map skyrocket, but then again I'm kind of cheap when it comes to altering/making new objects... =P

Level 35
Tried to download WEU from Thehelper forums, and I got this error...

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at www.rpg-design.net.

* Check the address for typing errors such as
ww.example.com instead of
www.example.com

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

((Hopes jirinal doesn't kill him))

Wonder... why dont you just dl from THW...

Status
Not open for further replies.