• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

River & Lake v1.1

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: Arad MNK

River & Lake v1.1
Created by ByMighty

Map Info

This is random river & lake i created. There is no big idea i try to create. I just wanted to create somthing fast. It took me about 4 hours
I used NewGen WE

Features

This map is terrain/template.
You can use it as you like
The unique of this map is the map i created ;d
I name it River & Lake and i've added some units to make this map more attractive.

Screenshots

Image Description:
Destroyed Inn near river v1

247119-albums8368-picture105643.jpg

Image Description:

247119-albums8368-picture105644.jpg

Image Description:

247119-albums8368-picture105640.jpg

Image Description:
A small village. v1

247119-albums8368-picture105565.jpg

Image Description:
Lumbermill near small village. v1

247119-albums8368-picture105566.jpg

Image Description:
River & Lake entire map + Bugg from left side of the picture. v1

247119-albums8368-picture105567.jpg

Image Description:
Inn near river v1.1

247119-albums8368-picture105921.jpg

Image Description:
Small Village v1.1

247119-albums8368-picture105922.jpg

Change Log:

Uploaded:
*Uploaded: the map on hiveworkshop

*Fixed,Added & Updated:
*Fixed: Overgoes
*Fixed: Flying Trees
*Fixed: Flying Rocks
*Fixed: Reduced filesize from 10.72MB to 3.72MB
*Added: Decoracions
*Added: Animals
*Added: A few Creep Camps
*Updated: the map with models

Author's notes

You can find more pictures in my profile If there is anything else i need to fix or you use this map in cinematic or campaing let me know, cuz i really want to see this map in use. This map is not big deal but still can be useful for someone who's lazy to create lake, rivers etc.. =D I wonder if this map can be used for RPG. I used the trees like this if you wonder becouse its annoying how u cant actually go inside the forest in some maps & you need to go inside her using surounding paths. Here u can freely go around the trees & evn go in high places of the hills.. yes the [hills] cuz they dont look to me like a "real'' mountains .. I think that some of you might like this map. After all i try to make it a little bit realistic =D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for reading this .
You're free to give your vote :)
Map will be updated in few days.
Credits

Pine(Variation 1) (FinePine)
Created by Fingolfin

Island Rock (IslandRock01)
Created by tobyfat50

Fountain
Created by lMike

House
Created by communist_orc

Windmill
Created by Shadow_killer

House4
Created by Shadow_killer

Lumbermill
Created by Shadow_killer

TerrainArt - from High-Res Doodad Pack & Expansion (www.wc3c.net)
Created by Born²Modificate

Keywords:
River, river, Lake, lake, Water, water, Lordaeron, lordaeron, Summer, summer.
Contents

River & Lake v1.1 (Map)

Reviews
10:59, 14th Feb 2016 Kam: Set to Awaiting Update: Review
Level 17
user_offline.gif
user_offline.gif
River and Lake
by ByMighty
--Mini Review
Pros:

• The tile contrast is pretty good.
  • Tile variation is not bad.
  • Nice usage of normal warcraft models.
  • Big map.
  • Terrain not flat.
  • Has some fog.
  • Real-size trees.

Cons

You failed at some points. I'll tell 'em here with images.
  • The tiles aren't smooth. You should mess with their orders.
    attachment.php
  • The trees are flying.
    attachment.php
  • As seen at the last screenshot, here's a spam of bushes. You could've had more rocks (or pebbles) and flowers. Also, Spamming "bushes" doesn't give the feeling of a meadow. At least use a custom grass model, or reduce the number of bushes. It's a bit ugly.
    attachment.php

attachment.php
  • These places can be decorated a bit more.
    attachment.php

attachment.php
  • What's this place outside the map bounds?
    attachment.php
  • The rocks are flying. You can change the "Max Roll angle" and "Max Pitch angle" in OE to a positive number like 10 to prevent this.
    attachment.php
  • Having units other than critters are not recommneded. It's allowed; but not recommended.

Presentation:

The description is nice. Looks like the template itself.

Total Score: 46/100

--Suggestions
Fix all those Cons I Said. This template has enough potential.

--VERDICT
46/ 100 = 2.3/5 = 2/5; Vote for Needs fix/Awaiting update, For now.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/rules-information-710/map-submission-rules-228244/
Alternate Map Submission Rules
user_offline.gif
user_offline.gif

Attachments

• RnL 1.PNG
    RnL 1.PNG
    943.5 KB · Views: 371
  • RnL 2.PNG
    RnL 2.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 420
  • RnL 3.PNG
    RnL 3.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 416
  • RnL 4.PNG
    RnL 4.PNG
    710.9 KB · Views: 359
  • RnL 5.PNG
    RnL 5.PNG
    571.6 KB · Views: 398
  • RnL6.PNG
    RnL6.PNG
    593.3 KB · Views: 342
  • RnL 7.PNG
    RnL 7.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 357
  • RnL 8.PNG
    RnL 8.PNG
    490.7 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
Level 5
Mixing together high resolution terrain art with poor quality low resolution Blizzard models really hurts my eyes. They do not go together. Especially the screenshot where there's high resolution ground together with a bridge using blizzard dirt as texture. Oh wow. :(
Well sorry but i cant find really good model for bridges... :/ if you know some ill appreciate the help. I can change it to wooden bridge hope that will fix the problem.

Last edited:

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Well sorry but i cant find really good model for bridges... :/ if you know some ill appreciate the help. I can change it to wooden bridge hope that will fix the problem.

No, it's not only the bridge. If you use High Res terrain textures, you must go all in and use all the models as well. Using 50/50 is really awkward looking. It's like a movie: looking good but special effects and computer animated scenes were made with Paint.

Level 5
:/

No, it's not only the bridge. If you use High Res terrain textures, you must go all in and use all the models as well. Using 50/50 is really awkward looking. It's like a movie: looking good but special effects and computer animated scenes were made with Paint.

I cant simply use all of High-res Doodad Pack ..
1-st: Its models are written in German - I dont know that language well or with diffrend worrds - im awful.
2-nd: It will take me hours to find the right path for all models. Trust me i try to do it
3-rd: Do i really need to use this much models for a simple random terrain/template i created.
+I have problems with Wc3 WE NewGen like crashees, bugs & etc. WE NewGen gets laggy if i use too much models. The map cant load & yeah im with toster insteed PC :D

I think that the map is fine for now. When i find more models that i like for this map i'll update it. Till then i'll wait the map to be for approved. Thank you for your opinion i appretiate it.

Last edited:
Level 17
Open the models in a model editor and look for the texture paths.

Oh, and working with B2M pack improves your German indeed XD

I haven't opened the new map but what Remixer says is theorically correct.

Before reviewing, I'd like to say that you should reduce the filesize to less than 8mb, even lesser; like 4mb. Else it won't be playable for multiplayer maps on Battle.net. Simply either remove some things (tiletests take a lot of size) which is easier, or reduce the texture quality which is recommended but harder.

Last edited:
Level 5
Open the models in a model editor and look for the texture paths.

Oh, and working with B2M pack improves your German indeed XD

I haven't opened the new map but what Remixer says is theorically correct.

Before reviewing, I'd like to say that you should reduce the filesize to less than 8mb, even lesser; like 4mb. Else it won't be playable for multiplayer maps on Battle.net. Simply either remove some things (tiletests take a lot of size) which is easier, or reduce the texture quality which is recommended but harder.

New review reserved here.

Job Done ! If there is anything else you want me to fix just say so. :p

Last edited:
Level 5
Not reviewing because:

You still have tile overgoes (Dirt should be under everything and rock should be the top one).
The High-res textures and models do NOT fit with the Low-res blizzard models.
You still have the shrub problem.

Overgoes & low-res blizzard models fixed but i cant fix the shrub problem right now it will take me alot time :/

Last edited:

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Okay I'll review this...

Review:
To begin with: making terrain, using high quality models does not improve your terrain. Sure, it might look better for the high-res textures, but if it's lacking it still is.

There is various problems going on this map.

Here's a list of problems I noticed when quickly checking the map:
Image 1
Why would you place waterfalls there? It's on the same exact level as every other part of the river.

Image 2
I've never seen it this bad, but why on earth are you placing the grasses INTO the rocks? You do realize it clips all the time and looks really awkward. I'd suggest you to place every object individually on places like that. Looks really bothering. Also, the shore is really really repetitive: rock -> river rush -> rock -> river rush... placed all the time the same way and the same size.

Image 3
Now here it gets the other way: no decoration whatsoever. Why? The area is even so large that you don't just "miss a spot" it's just ignored completely. You can't have decoration placed unequally.

Image 4
This picture might reveal why the grass and rocks are inside one another. Every bunch of flowers are placed with the "Brush size 2". You cannot do that! Place them one at a time. Having them placed here and there, the same way, the same size and the same order (mirrored to each other) looks REALLY REALLY unnatural.

Image 5
This image reveals the same problem and even more: you place the doodads unequally. The red areas are the ones with not a single rock. The blue areas are the ones that have been spammed with rocks. Once again you see the same problem: flowers placed the exact same way. Also, there's only two doodads in the whole forest: shrubs and flowers, why?

Image 6
Now... height variation is also lacking: this whole place is on the exact same level, you need to balance the height variations and make it look more natural.

At the current state I'd set this map either Rejected or Needs Fix. There are a lot of things lacking: awkwardly placed doodads, corners have been cut where they shouldn't have been and lack of using tools such as height variation, tile variation (the roads are make of one and the same tile) and doodads variety.

EDIT: Also, for god's sake - if you are using a tree model that can be rotate why on the earth don't you do it?

Level 5
Thank you but ... again im telling you: My PC is bullshit. I cant do anything with WE without lag. Its annoying for me & hope you understand me right .. im not trying to create DA BEST terrain/template ever. I see you have experience with mele maps. Now your answer will be be : "Why you create maps then when your PC is low & you have lag?" or somthing like that.. idk. Ill tell you. Becouse i love creating maps & this map was never planned in my head and i never had any idea what i want it to look like. I just did it so fast i cant remember. But still i appreciate the time you spend to help me understand where are my mistakes. And ofc ill try to fix mentionet problems.

P.S Arad MNK already reserved review here.

Last edited:

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
I'd recommend you to check these two tutorials in order to possibly reduce the Editor lag:
1. Reduce object editor lag
2. Reduce loading times of object editor and make it smoother

Using crappy computer and lag in Editor is the exact same that you say you didn't do well in a test because you didn't know the answers or that you did not have an eraser.

Glad to hear you like mapping, but remember I am only trying to help you hear and give constructive feedback. In my opinion, you could try to even further improve the functionality to use smaller maps and reduce the size of the viewable area (hold Ctrl and scroll with mouse). Also, assuming you haven't done so yet, you can set the video settings to the lowest (File->Preferences->Video).

PS: There's nothing wrong with having two or even more reviews on the same resource. Feedback is always welcome.