• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Rifleman's Exterminator

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Contents

Rifleman's Exterminator (Map)

Reviews
16:35, 23rd Oct 2008 Septimus: Invalid author name, sources rejected.

M

16:35, 23rd Oct 2008
Septimus: Invalid author name, sources rejected.

Level 3
knowing that this is a test map/ beta/ alpha design; I'll fore go all the usual qritique and give you the low down on this maps' playability.

This has a pretty good basis for becoming a well used design; if only it can be used for multiplayer purposees properly.
The cam locking in that position is cumbersome; there are other ways to lock it as in TankWarzAnR; where the cam pans accordingly to the 3rd person view. Corse the issue is, the idiot protected the damn map so being a rather new person to this new editor; I'm sorry to say that i dont know how to accomplish what that author did yet. Try if you can though to implement that camera style in the map "TankWarzAnR"; you will see what im talking about. wont lag comps all that much and it also offers more versatility for mutliplay purposes.
Controls were nice but i found it annoying that i couldnt select my rifleman to just see his stats or anything. place it on always select or something so we can better monitor ourselves rather than using the leader board system you had used. OR; you can make the leader board system more like what is on Blizz's AzerothGrandPrix; so its more visual; and have the triggers auto select the target your attacking.
The movement system worked well enough for me to allow for a few ajdustments depending on the style you evolve this thing into. It can go RPG; Survival; Tactical; a whole slew of things aslong as your Console Control stays stable. The only issue i noticed with your movement system is that rotating the character and turning him was slow. You also couldnt turn him while moving. Speed up his rotation time so he doesnt act like a drunk zombie just out'a bed; and it would be more comfortable to everyone else if you could turn while you move. Rest assured alot of players will get on you about that; though it doesnt bother me much...

tips for the real map:
(if you get stuck using you cam system you have now; reduce the doodads such as the grass to prevent lag issues. Also, try not to let the cam see so far with its Far Clipping; the comp has to load more map visuals because you see me in distance, another lagging issue)
(Use white sky [Blizzard sky i believe it is] and then white fog. Adjusting the fog to filter out a sort of visual range effect is what i've done on my 3rd Person Combat map; n' i ajdusted the LOS of the unit accordingly so you couldnt target deep into the fog aswell.)
(Condider working with the Construct-Marine models or of the like where you can lay down or so. If you do have grassy areas; would be rather intersting to visually hide from your targets. The model provides alot of options for control in this design; unless of corse you simply wish to design your own =D )
Good luck friend
-=Gloryn=-