• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Hero Arena] Revenants of Ruins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Dear Hiveworkers.

I have been long observing the community of Hive Workshop and I must say Hive Workshop has gathered many talented and creative people that have great passions in Warcraft 3.

Therefore, Revenants of Ruins need your talent and creativity as fuels to improve, upgrade, furnish, optimize and whatnot in every aspect it can gets.

Plus, as I am having my plate full with multiple works and recently progressing (very slow) to place AI in this map. So, I shall open a discussion for hero creation first.

Hero creation has been very difficult for me because each of its abilities should be unique, and able to synergy with other abilities as well. It is essential that some abilities when cast quickly work as a combo kill (which may lead to instakill). You can request video, or replay if you need me to show you a particular hero combo. A hero also requires at least a movement modifier (e.g. jumping or flying). I usually take on average 3 days to think and create this ability only. Lastly, a hero ultimate should reflect significant power of a hero. When a hero has ultimate, it will be fearsome to its enemy.

So, who are the heroes?
The heroes are
1. Rexxar
2. Naga Sea Witch
3. Firelord
4. Pitlord
5. Alchemist
6. Pandaren Brewmaster

Would you take the challenge to harness your creativity to meet the requirements?

I would very glad to hear your ideas! and don't hesitate to comments or give ideas on other parts as well (especially gameplay). And never be worried to give your idea because you will surely motivate others and myself. There is no such thing as good or bad idea, only good or bad decision making. I have been criticized a lot by ftr and believe me, it develops when good points are taken! So, go ahead guys! :)

Level 14
Hey there,

as you wrote in another thread, that you would like to have some comments on this one, I just quickly want to tell you, why for me, I did not give any input.
It is simply too much non-relevant text and then another link to another page, where there is even more text.
It is just too much and it is not really clear, what you wanted - there is simply not enough input on the other hand. I mean, for example no background story for heroes, you want to create. There is only these very generic heroes there, that have been seen a thousand times.

I do not intend to hurt your feelings in any way - on the contrary, I really want to state honestly, why I did not feel any creativity when I first saw your thread. You should maybe start with one hero with an exciting story and ask for some ideas on ability concepts. Then there may be some creativity arising from that. Make it more appealing to help you :)

I hope this may help you to get more input, that you want.

Level 10
Hey, I am fine with any feedback. Not getting any feedback lately. I am sure everyone is busy with their stuffs. So, thanks for taking your time to give your feedback.

I am definitely fail in this thread's presentation. I am the solo map maker and I have other stuff to do (not full time). But I am highly committed to my map. I will fix this thread to be more appealing. Promise! :)

Btw. Could you review my map or test it, Revenants of Ruins v3.0b AI+. I sensed my map need a lot of improvements :\... Thanks a lot in advance

Level 14
I would not say, you have to do a lot of fancy stuff. Just try to provide more information about the wanted concept for only one hero and see if you get more response. At the moment it would be hard work to help you, because the creation of heroes usually needs some background or something at all at least. So one would have to create all that. It would be better, if you did that and just asked for ideas about the concept.

I will try your map maybe tonight when I am back at home. The presentation by the way looks very good and the response was quite positive, so I dont think you should be disappointed.

Level 14
er thanks but ... did not want to be a smart ass there, I am not really satisfied with my own thread at the moment, as I, myself have only little time at the moment .. but thanks :)

anyway, I have no time today but will test the map as soon as possible. will download it now and place it on the desktop to remember.

Level 14
Hey Heaven Editor,

So I played your game and I enjoyed it! It was quite exciting because it was chaotic and it was something new, thanks god not another Dota clone. :)

You should maybe emphasize this unique "capture the flag"-like game concept, because even against AI, it is a lot of fun and challenging.

I think, your map has a lot of potential and one can clearly see that you put a lot of work in it already.

Good job, you did with the heroes in my eyes. I took Rexxar and was amazed that you made new and creative abilities within the same theme, so I was actually surprised :)

--------------------
3 important things, I wanted to note:

1. Item upgrade system:

So I did not read anything and just started to play. From this point, it was not clear at all, how to upgrade the items, because there was no recipes to find at a first look. Sometimes it seemed, the recipes did not trigger as well, for example was not able to upgrade this horn. There is also no tipps in the quest menu, which you should defenitely add, if you like the way it is now.
All I can say is, that this is very frustrating and the AI is so much op at the end, because obviously they know how to buy stuff, which brings me to the second point:

2. The AI, as you asked me to comment anyway:

Well, actually I am not sure what to say. The AI is not that bad actually, I mean it basicly works. Sometimes, I wished that you included some damage recognition, when they are very low Hp. And sometimes they focused on creeps while I was arround. It would also be good, if they focused the weekest player.
But overall, I would not say, that it is bad, it is actually ok and it is really fun to play with the AI.

3. Balance

The last thing is balance. I mean, it is always balance, isnt it ? :D
If some hero is on a killing spree, after some time, also because the AI in my team fed them all the time, the enemy became invincible. Especially Tutor, or whatever he was called, the giant beatle, was absolutely op. He killed our whole team solo and in the end they won of course. You should add some ways to encounter that. E.g: make the bounty for a revenge higher :)

--------------
To summarize, I would say, this is actually a good map and it is defenitely fun to play, because it is highly competitive in a fun and positive way. You put a lot of effort in it, but sometimes I wished less text messages on the screen and the item crafting is extremely frustrating because one has no idea what one is doing. I would say, this is actually the biggest flaw. You may leave it like that because it has some kind of explorer feeling to it, which is also nice, but then, please add some tipps about it, so it is easier for newbs to learn it. I am all for hard games, but there has to be at least a chance to get it.

After all, you did a very good job if you ask me. You should defenitely make it clear, that this is not a DotA clone, because it is a really cool game design. :)

Level 10
Hey!
I am very glad that you enjoy it. Woot!!! It is so hard to bring a new gameplay. I got scared when people playing it. Sometimes, I even close my eyes when people started playing it.

You should maybe emphasize this unique "capture the flag"-like game concept, because even against AI, it is a lot of fun and challenging.
Some people say it is AOS and MOBA. So I think this is Multiplayer Online Battle Arena Flag Capture (MOBA-FC)? Haha.

I think, your map has a lot of potential and one can clearly see that you put a lot of work in it already.

Good job, you did with the heroes in my eyes. I took Rexxar and was amazed that you made new and creative abilities within the same theme, so I was actually surprised :)
Oh I am so grateful! Lift my spirit to deliver even more :)

Every hero took more than 1 week to create. Hmmm... I'm quite drained of motivation (I doubt people having fun with it because of the complexity level). I use to compare my game to DoTA. There are many many things to do.

But don't worry. Just trying my risk competing the big fish. Nevertheless, all generic heroes will arrive very soon and the ideas for them have been lining up. Then I will continue to custom Hive model. Very interesting updates to come.

Oh, what is your favorite hero?! :D
Btw. I am spoiling you the next hero, Akama.

1. Item upgrade system:
I am definitely fail in presentation. There is no recipe in my map. Just simply buy it. I have updated the description ;)

The AI, as you asked me to comment anyway:
At the stage, AIs have farming objective. They just at aware stance when they meet hero. I will fix the response time to be more appropriate.

3. Balance
It does! Balancing need many many of gaming time. I myself could not balance everything. That is why what you told me is very relevant. I need to present my ideas properly so that people would join me and help my map.

Would you like to join my map project? I am very open to new comers. New comers will be among the First Class!
You will receive credit, reputation, recognition and etc. as basic.
And you will also receive opportunity to name AI player when playing your favorite hero

Very glad if you join me!
The first task when joining is you must give two items sets for your favorite hero for AI to build. First items set is for offensive while second items set is for defensive.

less text messages on the screen
I am attending this :)

After all, you did a very good job if you ask me. You should defenitely make it clear, that this is not a DotA clone, because it is a really cool game design. :)
It would not be better without help like yours. So, I personally welcome all your suggestions at all time. :)

Level 14
You are welcome for the feedback.

Would you like to join my map project? I am very open to new comers. New comers will be among the First Class!
You will receive credit, reputation, recognition and etc. as basic.
And you will also receive opportunity to name AI player when playing your favorite hero

sry I already work on too many things in my free time to do that. I can test your map though.

I am definitely fail in presentation. There is no recipe in my map. Just simply buy it. I have updated the description ;)

Also, I bought some scroll, taht said, it will upgrade the item next to it, but it did not. Maybe review these triggers again, it did not work for most of the strength and hp items (e.g. bought both rings and the scroll, but no effect?)

Level 10
sry I already work on too many things in my free time to do that. I can test your map though.
I understand :) Everyone is busy on hive now.

Also, I bought some scroll, taht said, it will upgrade the item next to it, but it did not. Maybe review these triggers again, it did not work for most of the strength and hp items (e.g. bought both rings and the scroll, but no effect?)
The scroll is for upgrade certain times only. Sometimes, to upgrade an item requires scroll. That is all its function.

Status
Not open for further replies.