• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Replacing Starcraft2 units by Warcraft3 models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hi, all. I want to see or find a project, where standart starcrat2 units would be replaced by warcraft3 models. I am noob in game editing, but I thought, maybe somebody had already realized this idea. What I mean, if you don't understand - I want to play sc2, where instead of zealots would be grunts and so on, where all sc2 units would be replaced by wc3 models. Help me pls, guys, if you have any information about opportunity doing this.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
No one is bothering to do this since WC3 models are nearly 10 years old and look total rubbish in WC3. Low poly, poorly textured and lacking many elements such as physics and some animations.

Instead people are porting World of Warcraft models to SC2. Not only are they considerably higher poly (they actually nearly match that of the SC2 units) but some of the newer expansion ones even have all the texture layers SC2 can use. Let us not forget the tons and tons of animations they have.

There are already several WoW mod packs publically available for use in your map.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It also seems like Blizzard is giving us higher quality Warcraft models with that new Heroes of the Storm game they're making.
With some pretty cool variations as well. However that is only for some units sadly (do not expect a full racial reconstruction).

I recall seeing many guides over at SC2 mapster explaining how to port over WoW models to SC2. WoW is pretty big by this stage so should have virtually every model you could ever want to use. Sure they are not perfect but better than nothing. Remember to include them as mods and publish the mods publically so other people can use them without eating up their map space allocation.

Level 18
You can have literally every building and unit recreated just from WoW M2s and WMO.

Only tricky ones might be stuff like the Gryphon Avery, because Aerie Peak in WoW is actually part of a mountain.

Buildings like Ziggurats, Necropolis, Ancients, Blacksmiths and Town Halls are literally everywhere. And you may have to use older WoW models for stuff like the Great Hall, because the new Orc stuff is very metallic.

Level 18
That means compability. Wc1 requires a DOS emulator to run really well. Wc2 has lots of issues as well. I'm sure they're just gunna fix resolutions and incorporate BNET 2.0 in Wc1, 2, 3, and Sc1. As well the same for Diablo 1 and 2. They'll want all their games on the new BNET.

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
That means compability. Wc1 requires a DOS emulator to run really well. Wc2 has lots of issues as well. I'm sure they're just gunna fix resolutions and incorporate BNET 2.0 in Wc1, 2, 3, and Sc1. As well the same for Diablo 1 and 2. They'll want all their games on the new BNET.

I doubt we'll ever see SC1, D1, D2, WC1, WC2 and WC3 into Battle Net 2. This would not only mean that these games will require online connection to play (Like Diablo 3), but it also means interface changes to the games will have to be made to support BattleNet 2.0 (eg. Friend lists, other game icons in the friend list etc.) which simply won't happen, knowing Blizzard. They just won't go back to their old games and "invest time and resources" to do this.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I doubt we'll ever see SC1, D1, D2, WC1, WC2 and WC3 into Battle Net 2. This would not only mean that these games will require online connection to play (Like Diablo 3), but it also means interface changes to the games will have to be made to support BattleNet 2.0 (eg. Friend lists, other game icons in the friend list etc.) which simply won't happen, knowing Blizzard. They just won't go back to their old games and "invest time and resources" to do this.
They will be like SC2. You can play them offline as long as you are on line at least once in a while.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Will this mean we will be able to play them in ultra resolution like 1920x1080 like we can do it with 2D c&c games and that hack of starcraft?
Probably but you will have to expect the graphics to blur or have new higher resolution sprites. I mean they cannot just extend the viewing area as that gives players with high resolution displays an unfair advantage. Also systems with retina or "HDPI"/"UHDPI" displays will not be able to resolve the details.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Never heard of pixel based widescreen? This would mean that with sufficient resolution you will be able to see the whole map on the screen.
That has no room in games (especially vaguely competitive ones) for the reasons I said above.

I mean they cannot just extend the viewing area as that gives players with high resolution displays an unfair advantage. Also systems with retina or "HDPI"/"UHDPI" displays will not be able to resolve the details.
For clarification...
The larger view area results in an unfair advantage over players with smaller viewing areas. Since higher resolution displays usually have a higher cost associated with them the result is the game becoming more "pay to win" based where sessions are won with expensive hardware and not skill.
It also places an inappropriate coupling on pixels and them being resolvable. Many high density displays such as the Retina display Apple is so happy to flaunt are not design so that individual pixels can be resolved. If a pixel based game was used on such a high density display the result would be the detailed art bluring and being virtually impossible to resolve (especially from a distance).

These are solved in games by applying vector based image processing techniques such as bilinear/tri-linear filtering and mipmaps on a standardized view pane. Standardized view pane (usually runs from 0.0 to 1.0) solves the fairness. Bilinear/tri-linear solves the DPI and resolution as the image buffers with appropriate resolution are used for your display (or the largest available, in which case blur is present).

Also I have an advantage with 27'' monitor compared to someone who has 14''. But how many such old games are even played competitively? They could make that you can't play in such resolution on battle.net and such. But it would be a stupid excuse to not allow such resolutions. After all, if C&C games allows it, why not old blizzard games.

And they should add a proper widescreen to warcraft 3, not this crappy stretch, which looks so ugly that you must still play it with black bars on widescreen. Or it's again because of "unfair advantage" and "pay to win" crap, because it gives advantage to people who have widescreen?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
After all, if C&C games allows it, why not old blizzard games.
Because EA is a pretty bad company...

But it would be a stupid excuse to not allow such resolutions.
You allow the resolution but use vector techniques to stretch the graphics into the same view area. Ugly? Well who said they need to keep the game to a single zoom level, they could add adjustable zoom allowing you to see more of the field if you want (but in a way that is fair). Alternatively if they re-do the art you can support higher resolution graphics or even variable resolution graphics (if only some are re-done).

And they should add a proper widescreen to warcraft 3, not this crappy stretch, which looks so ugly that you must still play it with black bars on widescreen. Or it's again because of "unfair advantage" and "pay to win" crap, because it gives advantage to people who have widescreen?
They will probably do the same as they did with SC2. Widescreens see more on the edges but less on top and bottom. Result is approximately the same area without distortion. If you have an odd shaped display then you will have to deal with distortion or play with borders.

Level 1
Hello seeing all these cool new sc2 maps made in the arcade using wc3 models made me wonder would it be possible to import everything the terrain the models the weather into a sc2 map?(I know it would be possible but is someone actually working on it?)

Level 1
They look as bad as they look in wc3 yet have all the additions of sc2 (main addition is selecting all your army at once and better micro) selecting 12 units at a time in wc3 made it frustrating while playing maps like azeroth wars in wc3

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
They look as bad as they look in wc3 yet have all the additions of sc2 (main addition is selecting all your army at once and better micro) selecting 12 units at a time in wc3 made it frustrating while playing maps like azeroth wars in wc3
Such large armies are stupid anyway. Unlike WC3 which has very strict limits to movement and selection, SC2 does not but it is instead limited by computer resources. There is a reason WC3 does not let you move 500 units at once, and although you can in SC2, performance suffers as a result.

50 to 100 units per player at most is a reasonable target. This was the case with WC3 even.

Status
Not open for further replies.