• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Remains of Dalaran

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
The Remain of Dalaran

Features:
4 Gold Mines
8 Green Creep Camps
6 Orange Creep Camps
4 Gold Mines
2 Goblin Workshop
2 Goblin Merchant
1 Tavern

Screenshot:
image641814.jpg

Keywords:
Melee, GGoblin Melee, Warcraft classic, 1 vs 1, 1x1
Contents

Remains of Dalaran (Map)

Reviews
19:02, 14th Jun 2014 Orcnet: My comment

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Remixer's Quality Control
Terrain
Terrain is playable, however... it is exactly what it is. It is not an eyecandy for the player and overall the decorative doodads seem a bit stacked to the edges and with each other. It seems like you forgot to place any doodads while making the map and then you remembered it and placed more at once. This works at some maps however the tile using of yours does not really support this kind of thing. The only tile the player can see is pretty much dirt and rough dirt. Grass can be found only around the cliffs which for I find odd the fact you did not use more grass or the dirt cliffs. That would have been more pleasing to the eyes. Height variation (Raise/Lower) could be better however there is some of that though I recommend you to use "Smooth tool" with a large brush to remove any flat area around the sharp edges. And a single notification of mine: you placed a "fish school" on ground? You should be more precise where and why you place something. What I really like in this map about is lay out. It is simple yet somehow effective, however I would greatly suggest you to swap the locations of Goblin Laboratories and gold mines, since well... the gold mines seem to be awkwardly close to the base. You could use more cliff tool and make the rivers go all the way to the edges of the map. Fix the edges of the map, the map does not end to the darker area, so place things all the way to the black end.

Neutrals
Creeps are placed well and the easy-access tavern is also good thing. However as I mentioned before I would swap locations of golbin laboratories and expansion gold mines. Also I might cover the small troll camp (near the gold mine camp) with trees from the side of the gold mine, since this would give protection to the bigger camp and cover up the small camp in a "troll" way. I also noticed you used critters in your map, which is good though the amount of them seems overwhelming. On map this size you can manage with roughly 10 of critters, so I would recommend you to reduce the amount of them though it's not necessary. The item drops from the creeps seem a bit too low for the harder camps. (The expansion gold mine and goblin laboratory camps).

Summary
I came to the conclusion that the map is playable, however you could make it more enjoyable for the player by things like adding more grass (also around the forests, not just beneath them), placing doodads more smoothly. Also change the map's file name to the map name of vice-versa.

Scores:
Terrain: 3/5
Comment: Terrain seems a bit empty and at some points too filled up. There is usage of height tool and cliffs however there is lack of tile variation in this map. Layout is interesting, which is good. The amount of trees could be a bit higher (especially trees in larger bunches). The edges of the map look very poor and could be improved a lot.

Neutrals: 4/5
Comment: Creeps are facing correct directions and create reasonable camps. Item drops could be better in the harder camps. Creep types are placed correctly to each camp and the environment around them supports their location and race. There is pretty much of critters around the map.

Generally: 2/5
Comment: Generally the map is good but the facade is reducing the score. Polish the terrain up a little and you'll get higher score.

Rating: 9/15 (Silver)

Level 5
Thank you for your criticism.

Remixer's Quality Control
Terrain
Terrain is playable, however... it is exactly what it is. It is not an eyecandy for the player and overall the decorative doodads seem a bit stacked to the edges and with each other. It seems like you forgot to place any doodads while making the map and then you remembered it and placed more at once. This works at some maps however the tile using of yours does not really support this kind of thing. The only tile the player can see is pretty much dirt and rough dirt. Grass can be found only around the cliffs which for I find odd the fact you did not use more grass or the dirt cliffs. That would have been more pleasing to the eyes. Height variation (Raise/Lower) could be better however there is some of that though I recommend you to use "Smooth tool" with a large brush to remove any flat area around the sharp edges. And a single notification of mine: you placed a "fish school" on ground? You should be more precise where and why you place something. What I really like in this map about is lay out. It is simple yet somehow effective, however I would greatly suggest you to swap the locations of Goblin Laboratories and gold mines, since well... the gold mines seem to be awkwardly close to the base. You could use more cliff tool and make the rivers go all the way to the edges of the map. Fix the edges of the map, the map does not end to the darker area, so place things all the way to the black end.

Neutrals
Creeps are placed well and the easy-access tavern is also good thing. However as I mentioned before I would swap locations of golbin laboratories and expansion gold mines. Also I might cover the small troll camp (near the gold mine camp) with trees from the side of the gold mine, since this would give protection to the bigger camp and cover up the small camp in a "troll" way. I also noticed you used critters in your map, which is good though the amount of them seems overwhelming. On map this size you can manage with roughly 10 of critters, so I would recommend you to reduce the amount of them though it's not necessary. The item drops from the creeps seem a bit too low for the harder camps. (The expansion gold mine and goblin laboratory camps).

Summary
I came to the conclusion that the map is playable, however you could make it more enjoyable for the player by things like adding more grass (also around the forests, not just beneath them), placing doodads more smoothly. Also change the map's file name to the map name of vice-versa.

Scores:
Terrain: 3/5
Comment: Terrain seems a bit empty and at some points too filled up. There is usage of height tool and cliffs however there is lack of tile variation in this map. Layout is interesting, which is good. The amount of trees could be a bit higher (especially trees in larger bunches). The edges of the map look very poor and could be improved a lot.

Neutrals: 4/5
Comment: Creeps are facing correct directions and create reasonable camps. Item drops could be better in the harder camps. Creep types are placed correctly to each camp and the environment around them supports their location and race. There is pretty much of critters around the map.

Generally: 2/5
Comment: Generally the map is good but the facade is reducing the score. Polish the terrain up a little and you'll get higher score.

Rating: 9/15 (Silver)
See update and have nice day :goblin_good_job:

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Did you change anything but the tiles (added grass) and replaced the gold mine with a merchant and moved the gold mine?

I think the previous lay out was better.

I'd suggest you to make a Change Log to your map description here on hive to keep people better on track what you've changed.

Edit: I noticed you swapped positions of Goblin Merchant and Gold Mine though I said swap Gold Mine with Goblin Laboratory

1. Start location is a bit small here.
2. You can add red encampments by changing the orange creep camp guarding the expansion goldmines to red.
3. Passage from the start location to the center of the map is a bit narrow. I think you can widen this a little bit more.
4. Some parts of the terrain needs to be smoothen or just smoothen all parts, maybe.

Level 30
Starting locations are really tiny but affordable through the use of lumber extension from its side, the idea of murloc creep camp really near your base is a bad idea, nearby workers or a construction taking place will lure them and attack you endlessly.

Since the map is really small you should know the importance of allowance, less space means walk-able doodads with a pinch of great detail, more space means more doodads and give in strategic background for it, to what I see is just really clustered.

The expansion sites are silly while a bombardment of creeps on the middle is too much, do at least 3 creep camps per side instead.

For now, needs serious amount of work before it can be suitable for an approval.