• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Release Notes/Changelog Standard Template

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure where this should go, so if a mod sees this and finds a better place to put it, thank you.

I was thinking of ways to make release notes of my Wc3 CTGen program when I realized why not make an xml document with an xsl template? So I started working on it and also realized that other people could use this too. So after a little work, here it is!

This xml document is an example of what the output is. It is simple to update/maintain, I'll go through how it works next. But first, you should have a look at the two files that make this up.
To use, you must at least open up the The xml Template in your browser and do File --> Save Page As to download it for editing. You could use your own Xsl sheet with your own CSS in it as well, so long as the basic structure is like the original xsl stylesheet for the sake of uniformity. From the xml file, go to the <doc> tag and in the attribute "subject" make it your map/program. Also note that in the example there are <change> tags, these are needed to make the lists, or it will not work. By leaving a <major>,<minor>, and so on blank will have it not exist which is the default so you don't clutter the web page. From there you can pretty much follow my example, the source code of it is:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?><?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="http://www.freewebtown.com/newcoder/ReleaseNotes/ReleaseNotesXsl.xsl"?>
<doc subject="Wc3 CTGen">
<release date="06/27/2007" version="0.0.1">
<major></major>
<minor></minor>
<revision><change>Initial Release</change></revision>
<build></build>
<download href="http://www.freewebtown.com/newcoder/Wc3CTGen/Wc3CTGen0.0.1.zip">Version 0.0.1</download>
</release>
<release date="07/21/2007" version="0.3.0">
<major></major>
<minor><change>Fixed error when multiple windows of the Gradient window opened by flashing that window instead of making a new one when ordered to.</change><change>Fixed problem where the forground options in the view menu were not disabled when the program goes into preview mode.</change><change>Added documentation</change></minor>
<revision></revision>
<build></build>
<download href=""></download>
</release>
</doc>
Keep in mind of the version format you are using, which I haven't quite followed on my program. It should be major.minor.revision.build, mine is major.minor.revision right now, also I probably should have started at 1.0.0.0, but oh well. Actually, the build is probably just optional, so whichever you like. A guide to this method of versioning can be found at this wikipedia page.

Also, a basic understanding of xml/html or some markup language would be very useful, if you are a total beginner to markup languages, you may have some trouble.

Thanks and enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.